Dreaded Ground Loops

rickenbacker198

I’m having problems with ground loops between Herbert and all other amps.
Everything else seems to play well together.
I was splitting passively at first but now have a Radial JD7 and it has reduced it, but the noise is still too much for recording Herbert together with another amp.

Anyone had similar problems and come up with a solution?
Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks

rickenbacker198":1y5ykax7 said:
I’m having problems with ground loops between Herbert and all other amps.
Everything else seems to play well together.
I was splitting passively at first but now have a Radial JD7 and it has reduced it, but the noise is still too much for recording Herbert together with another amp.

Anyone had similar problems and come up with a solution?
Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks

My weapon for ground loops is an EB Tech HE-2.

https://bit.ly/2I2J1Lb

Are you plugged into the same outlet? Does it do this with other amps paired with one or the other? Also I swear by power conditioners. Are the pedals on an iso supply? Etc. The more info the better I can help.

swamptrashstompboxes":3m04qhl3 said:
Are you plugged into the same outlet? Does it do this with other amps paired with one or the other? Also I swear by power conditioners. Are the pedals on an iso supply? Etc. The more info the better I can help.

I’m plugged into the same outlet.
No pedals.
It’s Herbert combined with any other amp that's the problem.
All the other amps seem to work well together.

If I have Herbert plugged into the JD7 but not even engaged.
It adds noise to the other amps.

The JD7 was just at Radial to be checked over because I figured it was faulty.

Ok so finally I found the problem.

I just had solved another ground loop problem with a mic preamp and was feeling the strength to take on this one again.

So I hooked up the VH4 and Herbert with the JD7.
I have tried absolutely everything I can think of.

I just happened to wiggle the power chord on the back of Herbert and there was a lot of crackling.
Thinking bad power chord , I swapped it. No difference.
Tried deoxit , no change.
Kept fooling with it , If I could wiggle and hold it just so, the noise would cut out completely but the amp sounded fine.

So I was thinking the power socket on the amp is bad.
I opened the amp and noticed the chassis ground is connected to the power socket by a short lead.
Then I wiggled the chassis ground connection and it and it rotated freely.
The ground was on the screw connecting it to the chassis but not tightened down!!
By wiggling the socket I was pulling ever so slightly on the chassis ground, helping it connect.
The chassis ground screw seemed tight because there’s a lock nut holding it on the top side of the chassis.
I’m sure this was the case from new.

I loosened the lock nut and tightened up the chassis ground.
Dead silence.
Thank God!!
I was losing my hair on this one..

Such a wired issue because whenever Herbert was plugged in alone never a bit of noise.

Thanks for the input guys.

Back