HSS Coil Split Wiring Question

marl3y

Can't figure this one out, hoping someone can help. I'm building an HSS super Strat and want to have a bridge pickup option (position 1) for either the humbucker or the South (#2) coil alone. This would be wired to a push/pull DPDT switched pot. However, in position 2 I want the combination of the North (#1) coil with the middle single-coil pickup. My thinking is the South (#2) coil in a HSS setup is closer to the physical location of the bridge pickup in a traditional SSS configuration. The attached Suhr wiring diagram comes close, but it uses the North (#1) coil for both position 2 (as desired) and when split in position 1. I don't want to add any additional switches, so just the DPDT on the pot and the 5-way super switch. The part that's tripping me up is that in position 2 I want the North (#1) coil in combination with the middle pickup, irrespective of the position of the DPDT coil tap (which in position 1 enables only the South (#2) coil). I can't seem to find any details about this type of option, so hoping someone has an idea. Hope that's clear, the .pdf drawing should help. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Suhr HSS VTT Split.pdf
    113.7 KB · Views: 127
Do you use position 3 for the middle pickup alone ? If not, can you use that for one of the positions using one of those Mega/Smart 5 way switches ?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, position 3 is for middle by itself. Posted the same inquiry on TGP and John S himself weighed in. Got a handle on how this can be done, but also the rationale for why it's the way it is in the current wiring. I'm gonna try it out as is and see if I want to experiment. Thanks again.

Back