What Exactly is the Jose Mod?

skullfxr

I hear people talk about it all the time but I don't know what it is. Lol. I have seen it on a lot of amps.

What does it do?
What amps can you do it to?
How much are the parts?
Is there a schem?

Dude it's been 40 years. This info is all over the internet already. Just do a Google search. Once you do that, and if you still have specific technical questions, then a bunch of people will help you out. ;)

Start your search with the Jose Master Volume.

FourT6and2":3jxlaa2j said:
Dude it's been 40 years. This info is all over the internet already. Just do a Google search. Once you do that, and if you still have specific technical questions, then a bunch of people will help you out. ;)

Start your search with the Jose Master Volume.

I have searched and most of them link to modded amps for sale.

I to a degree know what I am doing, my question is that I have seen it on everything from EL34 Marshall amps to 20 watt EL84 Jet City amps.

I will be searching. If you have have a known good resource, please feel free to share.

Cheers!

I'm not as well versed on this as some of the other guys on here, but it seems the main gist of the "Jose Mod" is the diode clippers and master volume located between the cathode follower and the tone stack.
Most versions use either Zener diodes, or MPSA06 transistors or 2n5400 transistors connected as diodes for the clipping. Different voltage Zeners and different transistors create various amounts of saturation and compression.
Check out the schematics in the thread that FourT6&2 started here in the tech section. The clippers and the placement of the master volume make those mods "Jose Mods", and everything else is just voicing the circuit.
The most well known practitioners of this mod, other than Jose Arredondo, are probably Mark Cameron and Mike Fortin, but just about everybody and his brother has done a version, including Ceriatone with the Chuppa, Yeti and King Kong etc..
There are a crap ton of Jose schematics on the net, so the best thing is probably to find something that you think might sound good, build it and experiment to see what it's all about.
And like FourT6&2 said, any technical questions, just post back here and you'll get lots of replies.

fusedbrain":2560jmi5 said:
I'm not as well versed on this as some of the other guys on here, but it seems the main gist of the "Jose Mod" is the diode clippers and master volume located between the cathode follower and the tone stack.
Most versions use either Zener diodes, or MPSA06 transistors or 2n5400 transistors connected as diodes for the clipping. Different voltage Zeners and different transistors create various amounts of saturation and compression.
Check out the schematics in the thread that FourT6&2 started here in the tech section. The clippers and the placement of the master volume make those mods "Jose Mods", and everything else is just voicing the circuit.
The most well known practitioners of this mod, other than Jose Arredondo, are probably Mark Cameron and Mike Fortin, but just about everybody and his brother has done a version, including Ceriatone with the Chuppa, Yeti and King Kong etc..
There are a crap ton of Jose schematics on the net, so the best thing is probably to find something that you think might sound good, build it and experiment to see what it's all about.
And like FourT6&2 said, any technical questions, just post back here and you'll get lots of replies.

Thanks! That is what I was looking for.

Back