AM radio coming through bass combo amp.

Rick Lee

I agreed to replace a Cliff-style input jack on a buddy's old Ibanez solid state combo bass amp. I couldn't try it out first as the jack was totally busted. It's board-mounted and I just replaced it with a new jack. Now there's an AM radio station coming through pretty loud and clear. It's got a bit of a buzz too, but it goes away when I touch one of the pots that doesn't have a plastic knob on it. I don't have a bass guitar, so I was only able to try a six string guitar out through it. It definitely comes through, but not as loudly as the AM radio. What did I do wrong here? Bad soldering the four legs to the board? I didn't change anything else.

Check the ground on the jack to a common ground. Cliff jacks can be a pain in the rear. Reflow your joints.

There was a lot of talk on the old forum about how th elow E is too floppy, but you just have to get a bigger string, adn bore out the tuner.

Likely not grounded. A shielded cable that doesn't have the shield.properly grounded turns into an antenna

Back