Cleaning jacks,stupid I know

tpruitt

So I got this amp that was sitting in storage for years and the jacks are hit or miss. Popping,scratchy,or not working.i originally thought it was a cable or my guitar jack.
There the old original style you have as a guitar jack.
Anyways,what’s a good way to clean these? I really don’t want to replace them.

I bought this spray electronics cleaner from a guitar store.
The tech said I could spray it right in.
Was basically compressed air with alcohol.
Cleaned it right up.

The best IMHO is Caig DeOxit.

The shit's been around for 30 years or more and is safe to spray into mixer channels, synths... anywhere where electrical contact is critical. Comes with a nozzle straw and just works every time. Engineers the world over swear by it.

What you do is spray it in / on, wait a minute or two, twist the knob / unplug and replug the jack or whatever and then spray again. Done. You can thank me later; the stuff's the bee's knees.

I’ll try that. I’ve electrical contact cleaner before but,this stuff isn’t just dust it’s grimy

One of the many benefits of DeOxit is that it won't dry out plastic like alcohol will.

Be warned, it's expensive, but one can can last a lifetime if you only use it when necessary and with the straw attachment.

Monkey Man":1qsrp6in said:
The best IMHO is Caig DeOxit.

The shit's been around for 30 years or more and is safe to spray into mixer channels, synths... anywhere where electrical contact is critical. Comes with a nozzle straw and just works every time. Engineers the world over swear by it.

What you do is spray it in / on, wait a minute or two, twist the knob / unplug and replug the jack or whatever and then spray again. Done. You can thank me later; the stuff's the bee's knees.
I have DeOxit and regular contact cleaner...DeOxit is better but contact cleaner will work. One thing to add is, check and clean your pedal jacks too. They can get just as dirty..I had some tone loss/change a few yrs back and couldn't put my finger on it as I had newer cables, but on a whim I cleaned the pedal jacks and that was the culprit. Spray some on the cable itself and put in/out a few times, problem solved.

Monkey Man":u8fib5wc said:
One of the many benefits of DeOxit is that it won't dry out plastic like alcohol will.

Be warned, it's expensive, but one can can last a lifetime if you only use it when necessary and with the straw attachment.

One can will pay for itself 10 fold before you use half of it!

I also don't recommend spraying it in, i would spray it on a jack and insert and remove repeatedly.

Great in tube sockets too!

Agree with everything, mate, although I've found it's perfectly-safe to spray inside virtually anything electronic / electric 'cause there's no residue and it doesn't damage plastics.

Heck, I even used it to fix a mate's electric hedge trimmer.

Monkey Man":2j99hizf said:
Agree with everything, mate, although I've found it's perfectly-safe to spray inside virtually anything electronic / electric 'cause there's no residue and it doesn't damage plastics.

Heck, I even used it to fix a mate's electric hedge trimmer.

I use it on just about anything. Great product.

I tend to be a little conservative and won't spray into an amp. Not a big deal either way.

It's amazing what deoxit can do. I bought a beat to shit RG100ES for $80 that was a mess of noise, cleaned every jack, switch, and pot, it sounded like a brand new amp. Reupholstered it and flipped it for $300. ballin'

I bought the dn5 can. I’ll just spray the jack and an old tube and run them in and out a few times.
The amp is a Soldano and he uses regular guitar jacks. I noticed last night that the cable end is quite looses around the negative part of the jack. i got looking at other gear and the ones in this head are quite a bit looser than say my guitar jacks. Should I worry or just clean

Back