Home Recording Studio

MonsterTone

Banned
So I’m wanting to start making some decent quality recordings of my original material to show to potential band members. I’m looking to build a decent studio in my home.

Besides the computer, what equipment would you recommend to start with? I know I’ll need the interface, DAW, mics, mixer, etc. Could someone potentially make me a list of items you would recommend for me to get started with?

What kind of budget would get one a studio that could make some decent-to-solid recordings? Not wanting to spend too much if I don’t have to. But I don’t want to skimp on quality. It obviously won’t be Michael Wagener level, but I was wanting to build a typical, affordable home studio that is capable of good recordings worthy of sharing with people.

I’m going to be playing every instrument and producing the recordings myself (guitar, bass, drums). Production is something I’ve got no experience at. I’m learning this as I go.

Note: I’m going to use electronic drums, so please recommend a good e-drum kit. I’ve read that you don’t need to have a high dollar kit, so what’s a good kit for $200-$500? I was hoping there may be some good e-kits with more of that “acoustic” feel, but if there’s none in that price range no worries. Also, what is the best electronic drum recording software for the price?

Anything else you would suggest, please share!

Hey MT,

Any electronic kit that you feel triggers accurately-enough for you using its sound module / brain will do. You can record its MIDI output from the brain and use that to play a decent drum VI (like SSD5 - best-value IMHO). The aforementioned one, as well as most others, have ready-made templates for mapping the various edrum configurations so the correct instruments play when you live-trigger or just use the VI to render what you've played with decent sounds.

You mentioned a mixer. I'd go "mixerless" and mix in-the-box, but use a small mixer to combine live instruments with the main stereo out from your DAW so you can jam / record whilst monitoring latency-free.

Vocal booth - just make a frame from PVC piping or something else cheap (wood is fine if you like) and drape heavy curtains or packing blankets over it. The fact that there're no solid walls means you won't have standing waves / that "boxy" effect you hear in domestic-room recordings.

So to sum up:
No need for a separate recording area - the vocal "booth" will take care of acoustic guitar, various percussion and of course vocal needs. The ekit means you won't need a large booth or separate room for drums, obviously.

Hope this helps. Good luck man.

What made a big difference to me and it's often overlooked is the microphones. IME, avoid SM57 or SM58 as much as you can. They will only substract from your sound. The Sennheiser MD421 is more expensive but well worth the price as it's a way better sounding microphone. Cheers.

mAx___":2dwmlrce said:
What made a big difference to me and it's often overlooked is the microphones. IME, avoid SM57 or SM58 as much as you can. They will only substract from your sound. The Sennheiser MD421 is more expensive but well worth the price as it's a way better sounding microphone. Cheers.

But for some things SM57's are a industry standard, they do their thing. You need to own one or two for sure. IMO YMMV

I would get a decent variety of mics if possible.

Indeed, mate:

SM57 for guitar cabs
MD421 for bass cabs

Any decent large-diaphragm condenser for vocals

BTW - you don't need a home studio to showcase your material to potential 'band' members.

TO jump start things, consider getting one of these mini high quality video recorders. They have come a long way. I want to get one because my cell phone does a terrible job of recording sound.

I, for one, would love to see/hear anything you got.

PS: I would have put this in the main forum. You'll get more responses that way. It is not really that technical.

For the record, I used to use an SM57, Line 6 UX-1 + software, ex-drummer, and Audacity. I'm not very good at playing guitar let alone recording it so I don't do it much anymore. :D

I thought this guy was loaded. Hired guns for a band. Willing to hire a GF...

Go Neumann and Royer for mics. Pro tools some Neumann monitors, a half dozen cabs, etc

That's what I'm saying Swamptrash...

But. It will take him 2 years to finally spend the money. Too indecicive.

Girlfriend: $2K -$10K
Studio: $.3K - $10K
Band: $10K -$50K

= $15K - $70K

Or, what I"m saying is get a few riffs up on this bitch first and go from there :dunno:

If you're just learning, I'd just stick with a computer, recording interface, mic, and DAW program (personally I like Logic, but there's a number of them to choose from). I'd start there, record different instruments with that simple set-up, then start figuring out what else would make things easier or give you the sounds you're after. With something like Logic, you can use software instruments such as drums, etc. and I'd personally get the hang of using the software and quickly getting good recordings rather than buy a bunch of stuff that might work for you.

That's basically how I started recording and I'd like to think I'm okay at it at this point. Half the battle is just getting a good process so you can sit down, fire up your setup, and hit record, instead of fumbling around trying to remember how to set up a track to record on.

Back