Do filtering capacitors effect bass response?

Goat

Banned
I've read that replacing power filtering capacitors can result in an increase of bottom-end response. Is this true?

Any ideas on how to lift the added bass, or will it taper-of as the caps age? I suppose I could put the original caps back in.

If all the new caps are the same value as the old ones, then the old caps were shot, and this is how the circuit is supposed to sound.
If you changed the values, then who knows.....

If the values are the same, but you're not crazy about the bass response, look at lowering the value of the first coupling cap and / or the first cathode cap.

This is a Vox right?? Not really known for their thunderous bass response :LOL: :LOL:

Did you change anything else?

fusedbrain":3mdbzqm4 said:
If all the new caps are the same value as the old ones, then the old caps were shot, and this is how the circuit is supposed to sound.
If you changed the values, then who knows.....

If the values are the same, but you're not crazy about the bass response, look at lowering the value of the first coupling cap and / or the first cathode cap.

This is a Vox right?? Not really known for their thunderous bass response :LOL: :LOL:

Did you change anything else?
Thanks. No, I didn't change any of the values. The schematic shows 2 x 22uf cathode bypass and 1 x 25uf. I think VOX may have used 3 x 22uf caps. I'll go back and look at the stock caps later today. It's a head + semi-open cabinet, so maybe the heavier bass is normal? I replaced the China speaker with a UK speaker. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great. It just seems like it has more bass than it did. I think that I once read that replacing filtering caps can increase bass response. Maybe they lose bass as they age? I used Nichicon e-caps for filtering, and Mallory polyester "mustard" caps. The EF86 side has a three position "brilliance" select... The #2 setting definitely seems like it's heavier with bass as well. Maybe it's the Mallory caps? If AC15's are known to lack bass, this one is the exception.

Back