Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Mon, Jul 13, 2020 6:11am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Home Recording Studio
PostPosted: Sun, Sep 15, 2019 11:51pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Are you human?: 951
So I’m wanting to start making some decent quality recordings of my original material to show to potential band members. I’m looking to build a decent studio in my home.

Besides the computer, what equipment would you recommend to start with? I know I’ll need the interface, DAW, mics, mixer, etc. Could someone potentially make me a list of items you would recommend for me to get started with?

What kind of budget would get one a studio that could make some decent-to-solid recordings? Not wanting to spend too much if I don’t have to. But I don’t want to skimp on quality. It obviously won’t be Michael Wagener level, but I was wanting to build a typical, affordable home studio that is capable of good recordings worthy of sharing with people.

I’m going to be playing every instrument and producing the recordings myself (guitar, bass, drums). Production is something I’ve got no experience at. I’m learning this as I go.

Note: I’m going to use electronic drums, so please recommend a good e-drum kit. I’ve read that you don’t need to have a high dollar kit, so what’s a good kit for $200-$500? I was hoping there may be some good e-kits with more of that “acoustic” feel, but if there’s none in that price range no worries. Also, what is the best electronic drum recording software for the price?

Anything else you would suggest, please share!

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 16, 2019 12:07am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Hey MT,

Any electronic kit that you feel triggers accurately-enough for you using its sound module / brain will do. You can record its MIDI output from the brain and use that to play a decent drum VI (like SSD5 - best-value IMHO). The aforementioned one, as well as most others, have ready-made templates for mapping the various edrum configurations so the correct instruments play when you live-trigger or just use the VI to render what you've played with decent sounds.

You mentioned a mixer. I'd go "mixerless" and mix in-the-box, but use a small mixer to combine live instruments with the main stereo out from your DAW so you can jam / record whilst monitoring latency-free.

Vocal booth - just make a frame from PVC piping or something else cheap (wood is fine if you like) and drape heavy curtains or packing blankets over it. The fact that there're no solid walls means you won't have standing waves / that "boxy" effect you hear in domestic-room recordings.

So to sum up:
No need for a separate recording area - the vocal "booth" will take care of acoustic guitar, various percussion and of course vocal needs. The ekit means you won't need a large booth or separate room for drums, obviously.

Hope this helps. Good luck man.

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 16, 2019 4:47am 
Supah Stah

Get that hooker yet?

FRAMUS Dragon
FRYETTE Sig:X.
MESA:, mkIVb, Tremoverb, Subway Blues, and .22 GEQ.
MUSICMAN 100RD.
ORANGE Rockerverb 50mki.
RIVERA K100 and K-TRE.
SPLAWN: Promod, Nitro KT88 and Supersport 6V6.
[BUILDS]: 5F1, JTM45, 1974x

IN PROCESS: AB165. AA763 Bandmaster.

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 18, 2019 1:44pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

swamptrashstompboxes wrote:
Get that hooker yet?

Imagine having a hooker who also is a drummer. Best of both worlds...beat the skins....THEN BEAT THE SKINS.

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 18, 2019 5:09pm 
Hack

What made a big difference to me and it's often overlooked is the microphones. IME, avoid SM57 or SM58 as much as you can. They will only substract from your sound. The Sennheiser MD421 is more expensive but well worth the price as it's a way better sounding microphone. Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 20, 2019 5:56am 
Supah Stah

mAx___ wrote:
What made a big difference to me and it's often overlooked is the microphones. IME, avoid SM57 or SM58 as much as you can. They will only substract from your sound. The Sennheiser MD421 is more expensive but well worth the price as it's a way better sounding microphone. Cheers.

But for some things SM57's are a industry standard, they do their thing. You need to own one or two for sure. IMO YMMV

I would get a decent variety of mics if possible.

FRAMUS Dragon
MUSICMAN 100RD.
ORANGE Rockerverb 50mki.
RIVERA K100 and K-TRE.

PostPosted: Fri, Sep 20, 2019 11:17pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Indeed, mate:

SM57 for guitar cabs
MD421 for bass cabs

Any decent large-diaphragm condenser for vocals

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 21, 2019 8:12am 
Supah Stah

BTW - you don't need a home studio to showcase your material to potential 'band' members.

TO jump start things, consider getting one of these mini high quality video recorders. They have come a long way. I want to get one because my cell phone does a terrible job of recording sound.

I, for one, would love to see/hear anything you got.

PS: I would have put this in the main forum. You'll get more responses that way. It is not really that technical.

For the record, I used to use an SM57, Line 6 UX-1 + software, ex-drummer, and Audacity. I'm not very good at playing guitar let alone recording it so I don't do it much anymore. :D

Clips
My Blogs

Cool lookup site

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 21, 2019 9:54am 
Supah Stah

I thought this guy was loaded. Hired guns for a band. Willing to hire a GF...

Go Neumann and Royer for mics. Pro tools some Neumann monitors, a half dozen cabs, etc

FRAMUS Dragon
MUSICMAN 100RD.
ORANGE Rockerverb 50mki.
RIVERA K100 and K-TRE.

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 21, 2019 9:33pm 
Supah Stah

That's what I'm saying Swamptrash...

But. It will take him 2 years to finally spend the money. Too indecicive.

Girlfriend: $2K -$10K
Studio: $.3K - $10K
Band: $10K -$50K

= $15K - $70K

Or, what I"m saying is get a few riffs up on this bitch first and go from there :dunno:

Clips
My Blogs

Cool lookup site

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 22, 2019 9:19am 
Supah Stah

@311 I am with you.

FRAMUS Dragon
MUSICMAN 100RD.
ORANGE Rockerverb 50mki.
RIVERA K100 and K-TRE.

PostPosted: Thu, Oct 17, 2019 2:11pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

If you're just learning, I'd just stick with a computer, recording interface, mic, and DAW program (personally I like Logic, but there's a number of them to choose from). I'd start there, record different instruments with that simple set-up, then start figuring out what else would make things easier or give you the sounds you're after. With something like Logic, you can use software instruments such as drums, etc. and I'd personally get the hang of using the software and quickly getting good recordings rather than buy a bunch of stuff that might work for you.

That's basically how I started recording and I'd like to think I'm okay at it at this point. Half the battle is just getting a good process so you can sit down, fire up your setup, and hit record, instead of fumbling around trying to remember how to set up a track to record on.

PostPosted: Fri, Oct 18, 2019 4:58am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

sutepaj wrote:
swamptrashstompboxes wrote:
Get that hooker yet?

Imagine having a hooker who also is a drummer. Best of both worlds...beat the skins....THEN BEAT THE SKINS.

My wife is my drummer LOL :thumbsup: