How long to break in 50oz magnet 75 watt+ Eminence speakers?

N

Nigel

Been pounding some with loud EDM and Meshuggah for about 8 hours a day since Monday.

They've opened up considerably, but I fear these may take like 100-300 hours.

Anyone ever purposely broken speakers like these in, and if so, how long did it take yours?

Thanks!!!

It took 8 days @ 12 hours per day for me with some G12H30 Heritage Celestions about 12 years ago. The condo HOA got a call about the constant hammering from my home stereo, I got a complaint. So 96 hours on the stereo then I put it on the variac for another 3-4 days.

100 hours may be light.

Thanks Jim, that means A LOT to me, especially coming from you.

I've got a 2000 sq ft. house here in Memphis, with a den/bar where I can play it loud AF with no trouble.

I'll just run it 24/7, face down in the carpet at lower volume (and thus pressure) over night and rock it during the day.

These are custom Zinky 12's, and they get better every day I blast them for 8 or so hours. I'll just plan on them being on until the end of next weekend. Will report back!

On a side note, reissue Greenbacks: 100 hours too? Need to break two of them in.

That's part of the reason why I rarely buy new speakers. Lol. Burn in sucks! Lol. But at least it is rewarding.

I think these are the 100-300 hour types. Is this indicative of higher quality?

Nigel":pjjuoxax said:
I think these are the 100-300 hour types. Is this indicative of higher quality?
I'm afraid not. It indicates stiffer parts used that take a lot longer to break in.

A client sent me a new Cream Alnico to repair. Luckily it was just overtightened on two bolt holes, and the frame wasn't bent too bad in two places (must have been dropped as well).

I got it back into shape, it doesn't have voice coil rub any more, and it's getting flogged in the break in box. I'm figuring 3-4 days since this is a used speaker several months old.

Kinda depressing to hear all those numbers, huh?

So keep flogging that speaker to 150 hours, then test it out with an amp to make sure it's sounding good.

Aye aye, cap'n. 150 it shall be! Blessings to you on this Thanksgiving, as guitarists world-wide are thankful for your contribution to smiles from bedrooms to dives to arenas everywhere. <3

Nigel":wh4cfswf said:
Aye aye, cap'n. 150 it shall be! Blessings to you on this Thanksgiving, as guitarists world-wide are thankful for your contribution to smiles from bedrooms to dives to arenas everywhere. <3
LOL, Happy Turkey Day back at you all, from dives to bedrooms to arenas around the globe!

Will speakers break in at lower volumes? I was just thinking I bought a cab last year and I hardly ever crank them

ClintN667":25olqlqt said:
Will speakers break in at lower volumes? I was just thinking I bought a cab last year and I hardly ever crank them
Speakers need to be exercised, just like muscles. It will take a LOT longer at low volumes because they are not moving much. That's why I have the variac set to about 30w to get them moving.

Bedroom/TV/Mouse Fart volumes aren't going to get it done.

Scumback Speakers":3vnvpv35 said:
ClintN667":3vnvpv35 said:
Speakers need to be exercised, just like muscles. It will take a LOT longer at low volumes because they are not moving much. That's why I have the variac set to about 30w to get them moving.

Bedroom/TV/Mouse Fart volumes aren't going to get it done.

So you use a variac to hit them at 30w to break your speakers in? That's kinda cool, I must say that I never thought of that. That is why you are the reigning diety of speakers and I am not. How long do you push yours to get yours ready to ship? Another reason why I need a variac.

A Celestion or Eminence, WGS use a much stiffer spider/suspension than I do, so it takes longer to do those speakers (figure 4-5 days, 16-18 hours per day, turning off the variac every 4 hours for 1-2 hours so the speaker doesn't overheat).

I run my speakers a minimum of 18 hours for M's (35 oz magnet), 22 hours for J's / Alnicos (40 oz), and 25-30 for H (50 oz). Voltage varies based on how many speakers, and the ohm rating being broken in. It takes more voltage for 16 ohm, 25% less for 8 ohm speakers. Less resistance, less volts needed.

Generally, though, I run the 8 ohm speakers around 9-10v, and 16 ohm around 12-13. Higher than that and you risk melting the voice coil. Do NOT trust the Uncle Spot/Weber break in calculator. I did that... until I learned the hard way they didn't know what they were doing. I came out to a smoking cabinet after 3-4 hours, and took this speaker out. Any questions?

10M75variacdeath.jpg

Damn. So my WGS Invaders need more than the 40 hours I have on them? They just do not sound right to me (yet).

Scumback Speakers":2iqpva3e said:
A Celestion or Eminence, WGS use a much stiffer spider/suspension than I do, so it takes longer to do those speakers (figure 4-5 days, 16-18 hours per day, turning off the variac every 4 hours for 1-2 hours so the speaker doesn't overheat).

I run my speakers a minimum of 18 hours for M's (35 oz magnet), 22 hours for J's / Alnicos (40 oz), and 25-30 for H (50 oz). Voltage varies based on how many speakers, and the ohm rating being broken in. It takes more voltage for 16 ohm, 25% less for 8 ohm speakers. Less resistance, less volts needed.

Generally, though, I run the 8 ohm speakers around 9-10v, and 16 ohm around 12-13. Higher than that and you risk melting the voice coil. Do NOT trust the Uncle Spot/Weber break in calculator. I did that... until I learned the hard way they didn't know what they were doing. I came out to a smoking cabinet after 3-4 hours, and took this speaker out. Any questions?

10M75variacdeath.jpg

I see no issue here.... its "custom" and a relic. It should now sell for 2x its original cost. :LOL: :LOL:

Back