Help with truss rod on 80’s Fender

nigelpkay

I have a 1986 Fender Contemporary Stratocaster (MIJ) that’s been with me my whole life. It’s not the greatest guitar in the world, and all the parts are really starting to wear on it. Just trying to keep it going for sentimental value.

The truss rod is a pain in the ass as you have to take off the locking nut at the top of the neck to access it. (It has one of those early Schaller system 1 locking tremolos). Over the years I’ve just left it at a decent enough middle setting so that the winter and summer months don’t stray the neck too far either way.

Recently tried to straighten the neck and looks like it “went past” it’s tightest setting. The truss rod doesn’t seem loose, but when I go all the way round to where I get some resistance again, you can turn it past it like it’s worn away the wood inside the neck to move more freely. The guitar is basswood with a maple neck.

Am I screwed? It’s still playable with light strings and lower tuning, with an acceptable enough concave bow in the neck, but it won’t get any more tighter than that.

That sounds like the threads on the nut and/or the rod are stripped. The nut probably isn´t gripping the rod properly to tighten it.

Dave L":16vig4db said:
That sounds like the threads on the nut and/or the rod are stripped. The nut probably isn´t gripping the rod properly to tighten it.

Is there anything I can do about it, or is it time for this guitar to give up the ghost?

If that is the problem, the best scenario is that it might be the threads inside the nut that´s worn off, and not on the rod itself. In that case just back the nut out all the way off and get a new one. And you're perfectly sure it's not the tool slipping in the nut, by the way? That is the most common issue with truss rods.

Back