Marshall 1987xl transformers

fusedbrain

Looking for opinions on the output transformers Marshall uses in the re-issue 1987xl.
Just wondering if it's worth the $$ and time to swap it out for a Classictone or Metro 50 watt OPT?
Anybody ever done that swap? just curious....

SpiderWars":3jpxdawd said:
IIRC, Shea from Monomyth loves modding these so the xformers are probably fine.
Thanks for the feedback.
I've been messing around with a 1987xl that I had modded into a Jose / Cali / CCV sorta thing.
It sounded pretty good, but not as good as some of my other amps, so I set it aside and focused on other stuff.
I recently decided to have another go at it, but I've always wondered if the amp was limited by the re-issue iron.

Anyway, I've been focusing on adjusting the negative feedback / presence / depth area, and I think I've finally got it sounding really really good.
A couple of guys on here have said that the secret with diode clipping Jose style amps is in the NFB, and I think they are correct.
The other thing I've done is stiffen up the power supply and raised the pre amp voltages to compensate for the compression from the MPSA06 diodes. I love the tone of those things, but they don't have a very high forward voltage and they clip like a MOFO.
There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the output transformer at all. :doh:
I think the problem has been solved. :LOL: :LOL:

I used 4 of the MPSA06 instead of 2 and it clips way less. For me, 2 of them was just too much but I use a little less gain than some here.

Cameron did several NFB/Presence/Depth mods so that agrees with your assessment that there's potential there.

Depends if you want real marshall tone or another version. Id say merren but if its modded HG I don't think it really matters. All these mods are preamp dependent.

My number one amp is my bone stock 1987xl. If I blow a tranny, I'd probably go ClassicTone. I did blow a PT in my '79 2203 and was unable to reach Chris Merren. I've tried to buy from him several times and just gave up after a few vms and emails that went unreturned.

Back