Floyd Rose Locking Clamp won’t clamp?

crankyrayhanky

I have a Peavey HP2 that is a year old.
It used to work perfectly
I was having some trouble with the locking clamp- seemed to be stripping out so I bought another 3 pack of screws.
The clamp on the thickest 2 strings now no longer clamps down. it almost catches but then does not. I thought I might need a new floyd nut if the receiveing screw end was somehow 'worn out' (despite being virtually new) but iIf I loosen a string and take it away it clamps down fine.... making me think the groove(s) need to be filed down a touch to allow the strings to sit in deeper?
Yes, I tried swapping out and using the other clamps/screws- same issue regardless on the thick string clamp.

Any help appreciated! If I need to file it down and you have a helpful link to the exact file needed, that would be awesome.

It sounds like you may have stripped the threads in the nut. Possibly the reason it clamps down fine with no string is because now the screw goes deeper into the nut and catches a good thread.

cool, I just hit up Peavey for the part. Hopefully they'll just throw one my way as the guitar is just over a year old

Back