Cab with speakers "2x12 + 1x15"

limace

Hi,

Got some confinement time so...

I am working on a 3 speakers cab "2x12 + 1x15".

Been thinking of to ways to deal with the wiring

One input:
- 2x12 16ohm parralel --> then serie with 1x15 8ohm = total 16ohm -- to be use with 16 ohm amps

Two inputs
- in 1 --> 2x12 16ohm parralel = 8ohm
- in 2 --> 1x15 8ohm = 8ohm

to be used either with one 4ohm head or two 8 ohm heads

What are your thoughts on this ?

Thanks,
N

are 15''s even good for guitars? i get they would be good for some parts if you play funeral doom but i always thought they would be too slow for faster parts. i feel like more companies would have started making cabs with them if they were sweet.

strong chance i am totally wrong here, i am not saying any of this as if i know i am correct.

would you be using a crossover or no?

sleewell2":2y0g6s8r said:
are 15''s even good for guitars? i get they would be good for some parts if you play funeral doom but i always thought they would be too slow for faster parts. i feel like more companies would have started making cabs with them if they were sweet.

strong chance i am totally wrong here, i am not saying any of this as if i know i am correct.

would you be using a crossover or no?

That is exactly the point :D Funeral Doom ! I already use a 1x15 alone in a cab, and it really works well. But I agree not for everything

I guess the problem with 3-speaker cabs like this is gonna be uneven volume distribution.

It should work in the way you describe but you’ll have the 15 getting more power than the 12’s, when you consider each speaker individually. So half the sound would come from the 12’s and half from the 15 (assuming similar speaker sensitivity).

If you wanted more even distribution (so 1/3rd of the sound coming from each speaker, essentially the 12’s dominating and the 15 providing reinforcement) they should all be the same impedence. But then you end up with a funky in-between total load where you’re gonna have a mismatch with the amp.

I have a Randall cab with 2 x V30's and a 15" fullback. MASSIVE TONE. especially under a Mesa Rectifier.

If it is a good strong amp and you're not cranking it I think you could get away with all 3 speakers (16 ohm each) in parallel (~5.33 ohm total) and use either the 4ohm or 8ohm impedance setting/jack. I would expect the 8ohm setting/jack to sound a little more full and punchy. Or try it like your one input suggestion.

Just me but I would prob avoid the 2 input suggestion unless you have a special need for it. It looks like added cabling/complexity for no real benefit.

Back