Switch to full style
Post a reply

Once upon a time...

Tue, Oct 02, 2018 7:45pm

... meanwhile 23 years ago, at the time, as the introduction of my very first Dino just has been 3 years ago...
... I still didn't build too much of my own amps. At that time I've merely built 3 or 4 DINO's every year, but...
... I've built, or better rebuilt lots of Marshall amps.

It's always been the same way, that first I've ripped out all & everything, what's been inside the chassis.
The entire circuit, pots, jacks, aso. and I've left over just the transformers, the electrolytics & the output tube sockets on the chassis.
Ok, for measuring and drilling holes, punching holes for additional preamp tube sockets, aso. temporarily I've also removed the trannies.

Then - until 2005 - I've used solder strips for creating a completely new circuit.
I've drilled additional holes into the fron & back of the chassis for additional pots & jacks...
... and sometimes I've made even a new front panel for my Marshall rebuilds.

Usually I've built 3 channel amps w/ Clean, Crunch & Lead with additional tube based effects loop.

Just a week ago, one of my rebuilds came back to its 'father', asking for retubing plus update.
Here it is, the nice baby - named DINO JM 732

IMG_00813.JPG

IMG_00814.JPG

IMG_00815.JPG

And as you can see on the following photos, there's not much left over of the original Marshall:

IMG_00802.JPG

IMG_00803.JPG

IMG_00804.JPG

IMG_00812.JPG

And finally some photos of the amp chassis out of its head shell:

IMG_00806.JPG

IMG_00807.JPG

IMG_00810.JPG

IMG_00811.JPG

Oh yes, there's some sentimentality creaping up inside me, when a 23 y.o. baby of me is coming back...
... and after circuit update and retubing then is simply sounding so overwhelming, that my eyes became slightly wet :thumbsup:

Re: Once upon a time...

Wed, Oct 03, 2018 12:52am

Thanks for sharing Larry.
It's always great to see amps like this. Knowing the story behind it just makes it even more interesting.
By the way, that looks beyond impressive!

Sat, Oct 06, 2018 9:25pm

Yes!
That DINO JM732 is a beautiful looking ‘Marshall’
:thumbsup:

Mon, Dec 24, 2018 11:10pm

Cool stuff!! :thumbsup:

Tue, Dec 25, 2018 1:16am

Larry....
Thanks for this.
:thumbsup:
I’m not going to pretend what the heck all those circuits/ wires mean or lead to.
But totally love what I’ve heard from you thru the years. :rock:
And yeah.... I get little misty eyed myself these days. ;)
Awesome. Man. It’s only Rock n roll.....
But we like it. :D
Post a reply