Mesa Rectoverb 6L6 vs EL34

MKibanez

I'm playing a Mesa Rectoverb 50 with 6L6 since I have it. Will it make a big difference in the sound if I change it for EL34 tubes? What difference I'll notice if so?

Thanks

6L6s will give you a more "open" sound. It is most noticeable in my opinion when playing on the clean channel. While with the EL34s, everything will sound a bit "tighter." For me personally, I like my high-gain stuff to be more tight sounding so typically-I go with EL34s in my Mesa stuff. There is obviously more to it but, basically that's the difference. Definitely something you should experiment with though, try both. Worst case scenario, you have an extra pair of tubes lying around, nothing wrong with that :D

Ohh and take off your preamp tube covers-your tone will that you :thumbsup:

boogies are typically prem distortion so 6l6 is fuller sounding more highs more lows as to where an el34 is more of a focused midrange bark.

I have one of these coming my way on a trade. How you like yours.?
thanks

In my opinion, the reason Boogies benefit from EL34s or KT 77s has less to do with the type of tube and more to do with the 34s getting hotter which makes the boogie's gain sound a lot better than stock. My dual sounded very dead with the stock tubes. It now sounds more open and tighter, which usually are contradictions. It just sounds sooo much better with the 77s.

makes sense. each one is so tempramental. My mark III was crazy. One day it was awesome the next it sucked.. it ate tubes too.

jerrydyer":2zjkoamj said:
boogies are typically prem distortion so 6l6 is fuller sounding more highs more lows as to where an el34 is more of a focused midrange bark.

I have one of these coming my way on a trade. How you like yours.?
thanks

Well I love mine but I think I'll try EL34. Will keep you inform.

Recently got a Rectoverb and it is a series 1 however someone modded it to have either el34s or 6l6s. Currently running 34s however it gets kind of stiff sounding. Is that the amp or the tubes? If I get 6l6 will it have more sponginess to it?

My answer for any Recto is always 34's. I have had a couple of Tremoverbs, and Rectoverb, and a dual and triple Rec. All benefited from 34's in my opinion.

Holy necrobump :LOL: :LOL: this is almost 8 years old but I agree wit fek. I have run different types of EL34s (Mullard and =C=) in my Rectoverb with very good results.

Back