Herbert clips MK1 vs. MK2

Ampaddict

My buddy Hans borrowed me his 2009 Herbert and I compared it with my 2011 mk2 version. They are dialed in about the same with the knobs. I might be able to match the tone if I punched up the mk1 version but I didn't try.
Overall I'd say the new mk2 version is punchier and more in your face. While the mk1 sounds a bit flatter. Although some guys would prefer the mk1 version. "Flat" could also be considered warmer and smoother.
The clip here is recorded w a Zoom Q3 on auto setting. The volumes were about 8:30 o'clock.

Very cool to here the two side by side. But I really can't tell any difference though :).

Really? This was my first thought: "The first amp is the mkI!"

I know how my amp sounds like.
The new one sounds more raw. Really awesome!!!!!!!!!

As someone who has been without his MkI for over 3 weeks now, p...a...t...i....e....n....t....l...y waiting for his MkII to ship, I say wow. WOW!
Nice!
Thanks so much for posting this. I think I'll make it.

Cool, I don't think there is a huge difference, both still sound really good
That being said I'd buy the MK.II over the MK.I if money were not an issue

Could the difference in sound also be attributed to old tubes vs new tubes?

Nico":2scp7kii said:
Cool, I don't think there is a huge difference, both still sound really good
That being said I'd buy the MK.II over the MK.I if money were not an issue

Could the difference in sound also be attributed to old tubes vs new tubes?
EXCELLENT point!! Anyone??

Peter, if you don't mind, what are the differences of the II versus the I..?? I know about the trannies and such, but was there a voicing change??

Thanks Herr Diezel...aka Poppa!!
Mo :salute:

Ampaddict":205hwpf1 said:
My buddy Hans borrowed me his 2009 Herbert and I compared it with my 2011 mk2 version. They are dialed in about the same with the knobs. I might be able to match the tone if I punched up the mk1 version but I didn't try.
Overall I'd say the new mk2 version is punchier and more in your face. While the mk1 sounds a bit flatter. Although some guys would prefer the mk1 version. "Flat" could also be considered warmer and smoother.
The clip here is recorded w a Zoom Q3 on auto setting. The volumes were about 8:30 o'clock.

First off, what's that little bit you're doing right around 1:19...?? Sounds bloody trick man!!

For me, sounds as though they're both pretty low volume - judging from the pick sound. I think they sound quite similar, the real proof would be in the higher volume registries. However, the Mk.II sounds just a bit more bitey on initial attack. Other than this?? They sound very, very similar.

Thanks for this!!
V.

Ventura":37dal745 said:
First off, what's that little bit you're doing right around 1:19...?? Sounds bloody trick man!!

This is when you make some hammer-on´s and pull-off´s with the left hand on one string while pushing for example your little finger from the right hand on the strings and move it. It´s basically a flageolet ;) Have fun trying it out :rock:

I've had both amps here for a few days now and I've been going back 'n forth. A few other thoughts I have...
I love MK1, I crave it's tone. Something about it's tone is addicting. It's got a nice smooth warm type tone.
That said the new mk2 version is more 3D. It also has a stronger low end response. (if you can believe there is more!) The mk2 version is also a little less compressed in ch 2.

Hartmut":2wqq8ias said:
Ventura":2wqq8ias said:

This is when you make some hammer-on´s and pull-off´s with the left hand on one string while pushing for example your little finger from the right hand on the strings and move it. It´s basically a flageolet ;) Have fun trying it out :rock:
me likey...

V.

I know it would be a major pain in the ass BUT, if you could play the same riff(s) for around 30 seconds and then change out the tubes then it would be more apples to apples. The very minor difference could EASILY be attributed to the tubes. Peter himself said the circuits for Channels 2 and 3 were NOT tweaked.

PaulyPanacea":1gdantdp said:
Peter Diezel":1gdantdp said:
PaulyPanacea":1gdantdp said:
they both sound like crap! :jerkit:

nice clips. MKII sounds killaaaaahhhh!!

Pauly ..... :gethim:

papa you know im just joshing!! If I rob the local bank i will be getting an MKII...and a Schmidt too. :rock:
Trick is to rob one that's not local - jump a state line or two, stolen vehicle, make it quick, have a back up ride hiding, dump the 1st car, hop in the next, change your clothes - just saying...

V.

Back