The BFG Snorkler Mod

It's a cool mod. I am going to go fire it up right now :rock:

What's nice is it is totally different from any other I have, and on purpose - because we wanted it that way. It will get tones nothing else will get, and visa-versa. Its not a one-size fits all thing, and I didn't want it to be....which is exactly why I am having to order me another Egnater SS-4 switcher. For gigging, we play quite a bit of AIC and I want this in the rack along with a Cameron Jose or Aldrich, and switch heads. Then, there's the SLO......

I find this amp so much easier than fucking with the Fish too. The Fish preamp with the Cantrell mod is OK, but this is better, albeit only 1 channel. The gain and mid taper on the BFG mimics the Fish, only better.

Cantrell would be proud and I am awaiting his call because he will probably want to use this on their next album. Junkhead and Bleed the Freak clips tonight......................

Steve

Yo Steve... did you get a hold of that guy about the SS-4? What do you like about that unit better than an RJM?

pfapin05":1vl8svl2 said:
Yo Steve... did you get a hold of that guy about the SS-4? What do you like about that unit better than an RJM?

The SS4 is a built for purpose head switcher. One head at a time into a cab, or pair of cabs. It is not a A/B/C/D//Y where you can combine. Each head will see the same equivalent load. Midi switched and has a compensated line out for pealing off signal from whatever head is assigned to run a signal to an FX unit/power amp. Solid piece of gear.

There aren't anymore products like this for 4 heads, that I am aware of, except for some Bradshaw gear, and Radial makes a pedal for 2 heads.

Steve

steve_k":1yc8tpc9 said:
It's a cool mod. I am going to go fire it up right now :rock:

What's nice is it is totally different from any other I have, and on purpose - because we wanted it that way. It will get tones nothing else will get, and visa-versa. Its not a one-size fits all thing, and I didn't want it to be....which is exactly why I am having to order me another Egnater SS-4 switcher. For gigging, we play quite a bit of AIC and I want this in the rack along with a Cameron Jose or Aldrich, and switch heads. Then, there's the SLO......

I find this amp so much easier than fucking with the Fish too. The Fish preamp with the Cantrell mod is OK, but this is better, albeit only 1 channel. The gain and mid taper on the BFG mimics the Fish, only better.

Cantrell would be proud and I am awaiting his call because he will probably want to use this on their next album. Junkhead and Bleed the Freak clips tonight......................

Steve
Nice!

Thanks Steve...It is a unique design for sure and you are right there are some other great tones in the amp for sure. I look forward to a gig report with it.

Brian

steve_k":1658s65k said:
Stramm8":1658s65k said:
Sounds very cool and I dig the "snorkler" logo; nice touch :thumbsup: That said, Todd Duane (ampaddict) had a bogner modded 800 that sounded dead on nuts to the snorkler. Unfortunately he took the clips down...I imagine an original bogner mod is about as "rare as hens teeth"(that saying was for you Steve) so this is the next best thing for sure. If you don't mind me asking Steve/Brian how much is the mod?? I may have to start looking for a suitable jcm 800 :rock:

Rare indeed. There's 3 or 4 Bogner modded Marshall's that I know of still in captivity. I have one. But, it isn't a Snorkler mod but more of a hot-rod plexi with what became the Cantrell mod on the Fish. All of Bogner's mods that exist seemed to be predecessors to his production amp circuits. Which, is pretty cool. Mine's in storage, aging some more....

I will let Brian answer you in private on pricing.

Steve

Late to the party sorry! Steve you have my Bogner mod Marshall that I did clips with. Great amp. Sounded AIC like to me when I had it!

Ampaddict":21js8od5 said:
steve_k":21js8od5 said:
Stramm8":21js8od5 said:
Sounds very cool and I dig the "snorkler" logo; nice touch :thumbsup: That said, Todd Duane (ampaddict) had a bogner modded 800 that sounded dead on nuts to the snorkler. Unfortunately he took the clips down...I imagine an original bogner mod is about as "rare as hens teeth"(that saying was for you Steve) so this is the next best thing for sure. If you don't mind me asking Steve/Brian how much is the mod?? I may have to start looking for a suitable jcm 800 :rock:

Rare indeed. There's 3 or 4 Bogner modded Marshall's that I know of still in captivity. I have one. But, it isn't a Snorkler mod but more of a hot-rod plexi with what became the Cantrell mod on the Fish. All of Bogner's mods that exist seemed to be predecessors to his production amp circuits. Which, is pretty cool. Mine's in storage, aging some more....

Steve

Late to the party sorry! Steve you have my Bogner mod Marshall that I did clips with. Great amp. Sounded AIC like to me when I had it!

Ah, the Acme Tone Sucker? I still got it in the Marshall vintage closet. Yes, but it needs an attenuator for sure to get there. Want it back? I won't be using it.

Steve

steve_k":2dfei9bb said:
Ampaddict":2dfei9bb said:
steve_k":2dfei9bb said:
Stramm8":2dfei9bb said:

Steve

Ah, the Acme Tone Sucker? I still got it in the Marshall vintage closet. Yes, but it needs an attenuator for sure to get there. Want it back? I won't be using it.

Steve
Let me get acquainted with the Fish again first.

crankyrayhanky":35vi3nnr said:
I actually clicked on that link
It seemed like the snorkler but kind of an odd 30 seconds
Yeaha that's it. 4010 chassis put in a homebrew headbox, stickers all over..there's a few pics out there of the amp.
Too bad they didn't post a clip or two....

What's inside the Snokler is a bit of a secret. The post is not to give away the secret recipe for KFC. That is why people get custom amps made. So it is custom to them. We use the Snorkler on our upcoming album, as well as a Quilter. It is a 1 of a kind amp and in use to this very day for recording purposes. I posted the vid so people can see the 1 and only true Snorkler, not to give away the mods that are not mine to give away. It exists, it is with Ronnie and it is in use. You all can hear it and a Quilter on our record when it is released. We are called Blastfinger and I'll let you all know when our record is going to drop.

Scarwalker":shdew2ub said:
What's inside the Snokler is a bit of a secret. The post is not to give away the secret recipe for KFC. That is why people get custom amps made. So it is custom to them. We use the Snorkler on our upcoming album, as well as a Quilter. It is a 1 of a kind amp and in use to this very day for recording purposes. I posted the vid so people can see the 1 and only true Snorkler, not to give away the mods that are not mine to give away. It exists, it is with Ronnie and it is in use. You all can hear it and a Quilter on our record when it is released. We are called Blastfinger and I'll let you all know when our record is going to drop.
:rock:
Thanks for posting. We all know Bogner modded it, but how exactly? That's the secret sauce....but maybe you can ask Ronnie if the Snorkler or a vintage Bassman was used for the Rhythm parts on Facelift? I always thought it was the Snorkler, but some recent info here suggests the Snorkler was more for leads....
Thanks again.

Racerxrated":8m3jaein said:
Scarwalker":8m3jaein said:
Thanks for posting. We all know Bogner modded it, but how exactly? That's the secret sauce....but maybe you can ask Ronnie if the Snorkler or a vintage Bassman was used for the Rhythm parts on Facelift? I always thought it was the Snorkler, but some recent info here suggests the Snorkler was more for leads....
Thanks again.

No offense to that particular member but unless he posts the E-mails or Ronnie C confirms himself I am going to go with what Jerry says and what is published information in the Alice in Chains book from Ronnie C himself.

Hello again! I asked Ronnie about Facelift and yes indeed it's a Bassman! Click the link a few posts back and see Ronnie and the Snorkler. We used it as well as a Quilter on every song we just recorded. We used an SG and a Tele. There were a few different pedals used. If you want to hear the Snorkler live again, you'll hear it on our record.

Hello again! I asked Ronnie about Facelift and yes indeed it's a Bassman! Click the link a few posts back and see Ronnie and the Snorkler. We used it as well as a Quilter on every song we just recorded. We used an SG and a Tele. There were a few different pedals used. If you want to hear the Snorkler live again, you'll hear it on our record. The video wasn't created for this forum! Sheesh! You guys got a snippet of our personal studio footage. We have a lot of it, but for us. Maybe I'll post some more. When you guys record a record you can take all the footage you want and post it all! Back to the studio!

Scarwalker":ai5p7q56 said:
Hello again! I asked Ronnie about Facelift and yes indeed it's a Bassman! Click the link a few posts back and see Ronnie and the Snorkler. We used it as well as a Quilter on every song we just recorded. We used an SG and a Tele. There were a few different pedals used. If you want to hear the Snorkler live again, you'll hear it on our record. The video wasn't created for this forum! Sheesh! You guys got a snippet of our personal studio footage. We have a lot of it, but for us. Maybe I'll post some more. When you guys record a record you can take all the footage you want and post it all! Back to the studio!
Hey thanks for the info! We here do enjoy getting info on one of the most chased tones in hard rock...so you can understand the interest...

Back