Ceriatone 100 watt Chupacabra

1meanplexi

I have been a rigtalk member for a little over a year and decided to give my take on members pursuit for the ultimate high gain head! My focus has been on the modded marshall's ie - Cameron, Freidman and so on. I realized to aquire a Cameron Marshall you need a Kings randsom (and worth it).

I hold my hand up when I say that I am part of the contingency searching for high gain heaven. I am now convinced that I found it in the Ceriatone 100 watt Chupacabra. My resume of past heads, mesa, voodoo modded marshall, egnater seminar head and more that I cannot remember.

I will give the cliff notes version of the chup. As you may know, you have three options for tone. 80's modded marshall, 60's Plexi(loud as hell) and Modern. Each option does an incredible job of recreating those tones. I prefer and use the 80's modded sound. I have to say that this thing is as close to a Cameron modded marshall than anything else out there. In the power section I have the EL-34 Winged C's and for the preamp, 3 JJ 12ax7's. This thing will nail - 80's - Lynch, VanHalen, 60's - ZZ Top, AC/DC. Modern - Drop tune you then have Killswitch Engage. For the Cabinet, I am running a Marshall 4x12 with Vintage 30's.

Here is the kicker, this thing is quiet and really cleans up well with the volume rolled down on your guitar. So...unless a Cameron Modded Marshall falls in my lap? My pursuit is complete with the Ceriatone 100 watt Chupacabra.

The yeti seems to be an impressive hybrid of the chup. I have read on the forums here that the chup seems to be a little bright. Like I have said before, tone is subjective to ones ear. I think with the values and the pussy trimmer ( i love that) on the yeti it gives one the option to work more with the tone. In my opinion, you could flip a coin on which head to buy and would not be dissapointed with the end result. One calling that holds true is that Nick is incredible to work with.

For fun, I connected a sonic maximizer through the effects loop and really liked it for drop tuning sounds, on the other hand I was not so much impressed with the max in standard tuning. Once I figure out how to post a decent vid I will do so and let our fellow rig-talk bretheren (spelling?) decide. Either way I think your choices are right on point - the chup or the yeti!

Thanks for the review!

Everything I hear from the owners of either the Chupa or the Yeti is most impressive. Does not help my GAS at all haha!

Clips of your Chupa would be greatly appreciated ;).

Thanks! Seems like everytime time i think about doing a clip......i forget to :D I am still in the honeymoon mode with this amp. A clip will be coming real soon.

My Chupa 50 is due to ship to me today so should get it on Monday, can't wait to crank it through my Eminence FDM Reignmaker speakers!

guitarnoize":3q9c9vw0 said:
My Chupa 50 is due to ship to me today so should get it on Monday, can't wait to crank it through my Eminence FDM Reignmaker speakers!

Do they throw in a free replica Swiss Rolex watch? :p

petejt":ztq0ikfx said:
guitarnoize":ztq0ikfx said:

Do they throw in a free replica Swiss Rolex watch? :p

Does Dave Friedman or John Suhr?

Thanks!!!!! it was really a lot of fun. My bass player had her iphone and walla! It was all done in one take hence that awesome version of crazy train. :).

Yep, two channel in a few months. Around $1500.

From clips, the Chubacabra sounds better than any of the Friedman amps I have heard.

If Nick comes up with a two channel of the chup??????? I will force myself to the front of the line! For those that have one already and cannot wait? Contact FJA mods. I should have thought of that before i sold mine :doh:

I don't think the Chupacabra 50 needs a second channel. It rolls off to cleans just fine. I've never had a problem. I spent last weekend playing around with the trimmers inside my AFD #35 and now that thing just destroys!

Back