Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Tue, Oct 15, 2019 7:58pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 05, 2012 10:10am 
Supah Stah

Hi guys,

I know I could ask this on the Rig-Talk discussion but my favorite people are in the Egnater section. :)

To help keep my sanity, and to stop the endless speaker swapping and comparisons, I ended up keeping my cabs stock and it has payed off! I am thrilled with my Bogner semi open or closed 212 with two Vintage 30s. Sounds incredible with my amps. My THD 212, slot port opening in back has the stock THD (Eminence-USA) Longhorn and THD Vintage. Sounds incredible. Although I did replace the THD Vintage with a Celestion G12K-100. My Stone Age 212C with semi opening in back is the only one I have been bouncing around on. Thoughts on this one????
Maybe Celestion G12-65s? WGS Reaper50/ET65? Scumbacks?

I am leaning toward a Celestion Lynchback and Creamback for my Stone Age.
They have similar low end, except the CB's have traditional Greenback mids whereas the Lynchback may seem a bit more scooped (but not to the point of sounding overly modern). They still have a vintage vibe. The CB's sound like a Heritage GB with a bigger punchier low-end. We did this so they would sound 'big' in both 1x12 or 2x12 cabs, open or closed.

Amps are 20th Bogner Shiva, PWE Event Horizon and soon another Egnater Mod 50.

PostPosted: Tue, Jun 05, 2012 11:31am 
Supah Stah

From WGS knowing my amps and cabs:

All your combo thoughts sound pretty good. Especially if your amps are dark, I would stay away from the Veterans. The Retros would be a much better option. Based on what you described in your other emails and this one, here is what sounds like would be the best fits:

Stone Age: 2 - ET65
THD: - Retro 30/ET65
Bogner: 2 - Retro 30s

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 06, 2012 9:45am 
Supah Stah

From Celestion...
The Creamback has ‘vintage’ attributes so may become a little unrefined with hard rock. Obviously great with rock though they don’t like an excess of gain. I’d be tempted to pair the Lynchback with a G12-65 Heritage for a good deep clean bottom end sound with a full though not shouty midband and well rounded top from the 65 and grit and sparkle from the Lynchback. The Lynchback and Creamback would be a good match though and more similar at the top end but would suffer a bit when pushed. All speakers work ok in open, semi open or closed configurations, they all sound different though and you need to choose which one sounds the best to you.

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 07, 2012 6:13am 
Journeyman NOOB

Are you human?: 951
I have a pair of Celestion G1265,s and love them. Sounds great with all my amps :rock:

Bogner Amps
Stone Age Custom Cabs

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 07, 2012 9:27am 
Supah Stah

G1265s were too dark, dull and muffled to me. I ordered two Lynchbacks.