What Orange amp do you have?

First post to Rig-Talk. Looks like a great forum

91966d99.jpg

alexauxier":a0eliu3b said:
Woodsie":a0eliu3b said:
First post to Rig-Talk. Looks like a great forum

91966d99.jpg

Hey Woodsie, which guitar do you prefer through your AD30?

Hey Alex. Well, at the risk of being obvious and cliché... For clean to slightly dirty, I like the strat. For some reason, dirty only sounds good with the single coils if I push it a little more with a Tube Screamer or clean through a fuzz. For dirt, the Les Paul just sounds awesome. I've put a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge since this pic. to answer your question simply, I play The GT 90% of the time. It has more to do with what I'm playing musically right now than anything else. The Strat was my first guitar (well, this time around anyway) ill always love it. The LP is just it for me though.

just realized I don't have a current shot of the entire family... that's no good!

Crush Pix CR35LDX at home (hoping to swap an AD5 in this spot soon)
AD30TC Combo
Thunderverb 50 (Avatar cab)...

I'll get a pic of them all with the LPs here asap...

I'll bet nobody's ever seen one like this...

Cheiften_FPs.jpg

It's a custom made OR120 preamp built on the Egnater/Randall MTS platform, complete with FAC, plugged into a custom built 50W RM2 with the Axe FX and a Two Notes Torpedo CAB (not pictured).

alexauxier":t0h2tx1c said:
Oh wow that's great! What can you tell us about these heads? I'm very curious!

Thanks Alex!
The '70 Orange/Matamp is a rare beast, and one of my all time favorite!
Sound wise, I would call it the Mesa Rectifier from the past! It's got as much gain, if not more, than most Marshalls from the same year, but it's also a lot more saggy and with a low/mid that is hard to find anywhere else. Almost fuzzy. Very loud amp!
The '72 Orange got a lot more headroom and behaves more like an early Super Bass or a JTM100. Not as much gain as the Orange/Matamp, and can get a lot brighter, but an amazing amp for a big, bold, punchy sound. You can get a perfect late 70's AC/DC sound with this Graphics Only Orange. Second loudest tube amp I've heard! First one was an Ampeg V4.

Thanks for the info! Always good to hear the differing opinions on our older gear.

And I'm totally digging that OR120 preamp in that rackmount too!

Thanks Alex...

I've always loved the Orange sound but never could get them loud enough on stage to get them into their sweet spot, so we built our own preamp that we can smack at any volume (and it weighs a lot less too LOL!).

We are lacking the inductor tuned NFB presence control in our Torpedo's virtual EL34 power amp, but many on the Orange Forum seemed to advise us that it's contribution was minimal? Do you have any advice on that aspect, the inductor tuned presence control of the vintage OR120's power amp?

The concept of the Bauxendall EQ with FAC is a very flexible tonestack, and I'm happy to report that our MTS OR120 preamp gets a lot of use (often pushed with a OD/Boost pedal, though V30's, Fanes, or Scumbacks typically)!

alexauxier":1tjx3h4r said:
Thanks for the info! Always good to hear the differing opinions on our older gear.

And I'm totally digging that OR120 preamp in that rackmount too!

I have an Orange TH30 ran through an Orange 4x12 loaded with Celestion V30's. Sounds sweet. Looking for more wattagethough and considering a TH100. Anyone play through one?

Just aquired. :rock:

I'm not sure what this means for the AD30HTC. I don't think i can afford to keep both. pretty pricey amps.

C53C1EFE-A323-4134-A716-3ACA5F46A0C8-7357-000008B3416FF966.jpg

Back