Orange Rockerverb 50, my take.

Hey guys,

Back in mid October I acquired this RV50 Mk I (6V6 version) in a trade, and now that I have had it for a little while I figured that I would post an in depth review for those who were interested... sorry for the wall of text, but this has been a while coming.

Features - 7/10
To me, the amp has a very straightforward and simple layout. It is not difficult to figure out the controls on the amp, but rather learning how they interact and react with one another (which I will address in the next column).

The clean channel is very basic and to the point, featuring only a volume control for levels, and a single set of bass and treble controls for the equalization. It reminds me very much of an old tweed Fender or something because of this control layout. I personally wish there was a gain control for the clean channel so that you could control the amount of breakup on the clean channel as compared to volume, but it's certainly usable as is. The dirty channel is laid out much like the clean channel, but it adds gain and middle (midrange) controls to the equation. As far as this channel goes, the only thing I wish they had added would have been a presence control to control those highest peak frequencies that the treble control doesn't deal with. There's also a tube driven reverb (very cavernous - I find it's mostly unusable past about 2), as well as a tube driven effects loop, which I've found is very kind to pedals (specifically time based effects). The only other thing of note is a two way switch on the back panel which reads Output Damping. Basically, what this does is act as sort of a tightness control. In the 'tight' setting, the amp is a bit more responsive to pick attack, and I found that the sound was a little bit cleaner overall. The 'loose' setting was a bit gainer and raunchier than the tight one and worked better for high gain riffage and certain more basic lead things. All in all, it's got a decent set of features but there are definitely things that could better it... (FWIW, some of my gripes were addressed in the RV50 MkII.)

Sound- 6/10
The Orange Rockerverb is definitely an interesting idea. They basically took a very basic Fender layout for the clean channel (think Fender Champ) and combined that with a fairly typical British distortion channel to try and give people a "best of both worlds" kind of amp. The 6V6 tubes in the power section definitely add a character that, to my ears, is like a cross between Fender and Marshall.

However, perhaps it's my cabinet (2x12 loaded with Eminence V12s), my guitar, the room I'm in, or SOMETHING, but the amp just does not cut it in a band mix. When I first got the amp, I jammed on it at home for about a week to get a feel for it, and it was great... very rich cleans and a very thick and syrupy distortion sound that just sang with overtones and musical feedback. However, as soon as I got it into a band mix... I could not have been more disappointed. What had sounded great and fat at home levels (probably about 3 or 4 on the dirty channel volume) was not cutting through in the slightest against a drummer, bassist and second guitarist (who runs a 50w Marshall head and a 2x12 cabinet.) I found that in order to cut through, I had to either dime the amp (yes, that means 10), or turn my middle and treble controls up to levels that had me cutting through in the mix at the levels I needed... but also caused this atrocious high midrange frequency to be the only thing I could hear. Unfortunately this is still true after about four months of working with the amp. I've tried boosts, swapping tubes, different room placements, t, etc, but it just does not stack up in a band setting for what I'm doing as I just can't find a balance that works for the EQ that gets me what I want to hear AND cuts through without turning the amp up to ungodly levels. This applies to both channels. The clean channel is okay (a bit flat sounding for my tastes), but I cannot get good pristine cleans at band levels because they just get lost as well (this might be where a gain control for the clean channel would come in handy.) I also find that the middle and treble controls tend to control very similar frequency ranges... leaving the highest treble and lower midrange frequencies unaffected, and that is definitely not something that I am a fan of. If anyone has any tips for me on getting a better tone (that don't involve spending much money) they would be greatly appreciated!

Reliability/Durability - 9/10
I can't really comment on this as I haven't really had any issues so I'll be fair with my rating. I don't care for the fact that the orange tolex shows wear very easily, but that's minor. Overall it seems to be extremely well built and I wouldn't envision it giving me any issues aside from standard maintenance.

Value - 5/10
Alright, here's where the hammer drops for me. At $2,099 CAD new plus 15% taxes, I feel that this amp is grossly overpriced for the features and tone that you are getting. (The RV50 MkII clocks in at $2,225 CAD + tax). Mind you I got this one used, but my point still stands. When you get to that price point, you're within the territory of amps like the Splawn Quick Rod ($1,850 new... approximately $2,300 CAD after shipping and duties), the Mesa Boogie Mark V ($2,299 CAD + taxes), or even something like a Marshall JVM410H ($1,675 + taxes.) This isn't even taking into account the deals you can find used on much higher end gear like CAE, Bogner, Diezel) even if it costs a little bit more in the long run. That isn't to say the Orange is bad for the price per se, but I feel like there are better amps out there that will be more versatile (IE: Mesa Mark V), or do the British voice one better (IE: Splawn Quick Rod) so at Orange's new prices, I would never even consider one (though honestly Orange's pricing is high as it is, but I won't open that can of worms here.) All in all... unless you REALLY want this specific tone/tolex colour, or get a good deal on one second hand, I wouldn't even bother looking at a Rockerverb.

Final Impressions:
All in all, I think Orange did a reasonable job with this amp. The concept is really cool, and I think it definitely has some decent tones... but unfortunately the lack of certain features as well as the very high price point really leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I will definitely be parting with mine and replacing it with something better suited to what I want to do in the near future. However, in closing I want to stress that my gripes with the amp are most likely to do with my own ear. Try one for yourself and form your own opinions is my best advice, but you already knew that. :2thumbsup:

Cheers guys,

Will.

I think they did the right thing going to EL34's in the MKII. if I wanted a RV50, and I do, it would be the MKII if for no other reason than that.

Well.....

My amp is the RV50 MKI..... so 6V6 model, which I play with my LP stadndard faded & a Vigier Expert (fantastic hand made french strat) through the Orange PPC212.

I bought it new in 2009, and to this day, it's still the best amp I have ever played.
The price wasn't soo extortionate on the UK side of the pond (though quite high still), but was totally worth it to me, I still get a massive smile every time i switch it on.

Brilliant at home (fab master volume, makes practice amp redundant) and in practice playing with a band. Rich warm cleans, dirty channel that will do it all, it's the tone i've had in my head before to buy it.! :rock:

Even though most people think it's a heavy metal amp (which it can do very well), I love it for it;s mid gain tones. Rich and oozing warmth, very 3D.

To be honest, I struggle to reconcile my experience of this amp with that of the OP - reads like two totally different amp to me - but I guess that's where personal preferences come into play.

Les Paul Lover":yyvug8zh said:
To be honest, I struggle to reconcile my experience of this amp with that of the OP - reads like two totally different amp to me - but I guess that's where personal preferences come into play.

I agree completely. My Rockerverb MKI is the best amp I have ever played/owned. It might not be as versatile as some other amps but it sounds amazing. I've gone through many, many amps over the past 10-15 years and this is the only one I plan on keeping forever.

I'm curious, what amp do you think is the most similar to the Rockerverb 50, but that's made by a different manufacturer?

Nothing is really similar to my ears.

Maybe the Matamps or Electric Amp offerings but nothing seems to nail the Orange sound. I hear that the Mesa Electrodyne is close but I have no experience with that.

I have many other amps, but to me, the Orange reigns supreme for tone. Not the most versatile amp since it doesn't get along to well with overdrives and distortions (it does sound great with a King of Tone) but I don't need it to be. It just sounds great period.

The V12s are a bit scooped compared to V30s, which are what most Orange amps seem to be built with. Perhaps that's why you had some cutting problems? Just a thought. I'm looking real hard at a RV50 MKII for use with a telecaster. I loved how juicy the amp sounded in the store, some other 'British flavored' amps seemed thin and brittle with single coils. Would love to read some thoughts on this amp cranked with singles!

I've had this amp since I got it new in December 2008 and I can attest with great confidence that it cuts through really well. I'm almost certain it's your speakers. These things were designed for their premium cabs loaded with v30s. It's part of the sound. I find it really disappointing when people judge a head lowly and have only played it through one cab and it's not even close to manufacturer's. You should play it the way it's intended to be played and THEN jump off from there with different speaker/cab combinations. This is a really wonderful amp and I don't find the review fair at all. It doesn't sound like the mkII version and I think that's a good thing. The 100 watt versions (mkI and mkII) don't sound that similar to me either.

I have used one with a band & had no problem cutting in the mix using a Orange 2x12.. The other guitar player was using a Tremoverb 1/2 stack. My experience with the amp is limited ..... I used it less than 20 hours all together. I was using my LP....the rest of the rig was a friends. I bypassed all of his pedals/ plugged straight in & set up the amp very different than he did ..... to my taste. Personally I felt the amp sounded great.

zerocool":2j0iopdr said:
Nothing is really similar to my ears.

Maybe the Matamps or Electric Amp offerings but nothing seems to nail the Orange sound. I hear that the Mesa Electrodyne is close but I have no experience with that.

I have many other amps, but to me, the Orange reigns supreme for tone. Not the most versatile amp since it doesn't get along to well with overdrives and distortions (it does sound great with a King of Tone) but I don't need it to be. It just sounds great period.

The Electra Dyne is fairly close but the Orange is a touch more juicy, rich and sizzly to my ears. The ED has that "hard" Mesa sound and feel to some degree and I thought it was a bit smoother on top, but they are fairly similar. (I've only played the MKII)

I just picked up a Rockerverb 50 MKII and matched it up with a PPC 412 slant cab with V30's. this will definitely be the last amp i every buy. all the tone, power and badass stage looks i could ever possibly want. It sounds so much better in a larger room, like a bar or club, with hard wood floors and high ceilings, than it does in my basement, where we practice. with it's carpet and low ceiling. that's good though. thats' where it counts.

D286CC2D-4F28-4680-8D9C-79A37A64D3A6-34673-00001BB1A799B95F.jpg

Woodsie":3rvhki3z said:
I just picked up a Rockerverb 50 MKII and matched it up with a PPC 412 slant cab with V30's. this will definitely be the last amp i every buy. all the tone, power and badass stage looks i could ever possibly want. It sounds so much better in a larger room, like a bar or club, with hard wood floors and high ceilings, than it does in my basement, where we practice. with it's carpet and low ceiling. that's good though. thats' where it counts.

D286CC2D-4F28-4680-8D9C-79A37A64D3A6-34673-00001BB1A799B95F.jpg

That's great to hear!!!

King, do you still have this amp?

Personally. I find the Rockerverb 100 MK II to be one of the best sounding amps on the planet right now.

:)

I like Orange amps and cabs, but they seem to lack something when I hear them next to a Marshall or Mesa Boogie, for example. It may just be my limited experience since my friend has one and he rocks through it.

I have an AD30, 2channel one. Even with crappy cabs I never had problems cutting through in any band situation. It might be the 6V6's. Most Oranges I heard really cut through easily.

I'm thinking of trading my Triple Rec for an Orange Rockerverb 50.
Any experience?
My buddy has an AD30 and it is punchy and ballsy. Great, classic English tones.

Back