Ceriatone 100 watt Chupacabra

The AFD #35 has the Plexi channel from the Chupa then the AFD channel goes into sheer massive gain ripping madness. I run the gain around 10 o'clock and it still shreds. Anything past 1:00 on the gain is just overkill. Nik is awesome to work with!!

I was about to order a Chupa or Yeti but according to the manual the loop does not play nice with pedals.

How does it handle delay pedals?

The Ceriatones are so inexpensive. How are they cutting costs...cheap components? What kind of iron are they throwing in them?

FondledDuck":1losnhac said:
The Ceriatones are so inexpensive. How are they cutting costs...cheap components? What kind of iron are they throwing in them?
Looks pretty good to me.

Info on Components Used:

Hand Wired on Turret Board

Quality Mallory 150 Coupling Caps, + Silver Mica + Ceramic Disc tone caps

* Sozo coupling caps available for USD 30 extra

Carbon Film 1W resistors + Carbon Composition where proper, and precision Metal Oxide and Wire wound resistors

Teflon Silver Plated signal wire, UL1015 TC wire, RG 174 Shielded Wire

Ceriatone's Holy Grail Custom made electrolytic capacitors (you have found the Holy Grail for the caps here)

Alpha potentiometers (we think they're the best, and so do many manufacturers. Open your booteek amps! :))

Belton Tube Sockets

Custom wound Transformers

FondledDuck":1rtsvj0e said:
They got younger kids to assemble them.

This past week I heard from Nik on the two channel chup. The good news is that it is going to happen, the other news is not for a while. He said that they are focusing on the new lucnhbox type amps. He did share with me that at last count, the drawing for the new chup (so far) has 16 knobs (take that for what it is worth). Either way I am on the faux waiting list. In other words....he will contact me when they are ready to take orders.

Almost forgot! Most pedals work great through the loop. In the vid I have the boss giga delay looped. I tried just a standard reverb (boss) and it did not fare well. With pedals like the reverb or older ones you need an outside source to boost/balance the signal. Ceck Ceriatones site and look up the Klein-ulator.

Guys, what do you all think of the Chupacabra compared to amps like the Mesa Electra Dyne, Marshall VM or Splawn Competition. I am looking for a single channel head. Looking for it to have an effects loop, good classic rock tones, 90s and modern rock. I don't like 80s tones so I try to avoid....and I am not into metal at all.

Hi, the one thing I loved about the chup was the era switch. Unlike (most) modulation amps that attempt to create tone.....this thing acually works. 60's, 80's and modern. Blending the gain channels can get you almost any tone you need :thumbsup: .

I know their might or has been some prejudice on the made in Southeast Asia thing. Could not give a fuck less....... Nick has got it down and his history can back up his product. His pics showing the guts is not the, hey take the best one we have and put it out there kind of thing, all his amps look that way and sound amazing.

You can check out my clip I put up or for what I think is the best, Guitarnoize Really throws it down.

Right now I do not own the chup, but I am on the short list for the new two channel one which should be out in the not to distance future.

Out of the amps you listed, I would say go with the chup. I will not say it is better than the ones you mentioned, just for my ear....it is the best. I hope this helps. as we say :rock: on!

The AFD #35 is two channel and has three different internal trimmers so you can really dial in the tone you want. Fifty watts with a 25-watt mode means you can really let this thing rip. I bought it on a lark and it has payed off huge!!

racerevlon":e56muj67 said:
The AFD #35 is two channel and has three different internal trimmers so you can really dial in the tone you want. Fifty watts with a 25-watt mode means you can really let this thing rip. I bought it on a lark and it has payed off huge!!
What do the trimmers do?

I see your question went unanswered. They are external trim pot's. When I had mine I went to the lowest point and it reduced the gain. Maxed (where I had it) was all out in! It really is a nice addition.

1meanplexi":30mhoqak said:
I see your question went unanswered. They are external trim pot's. When I had mine I went to the lowest point and it reduced the gain. Maxed (where I had it) was all out in! It really is a nice addition.
So all three trim pots are for gain?

Right now... I have a 2012 QR and Love it! On the way is a 1959 SLP reish' from FJA with the molten gain "Nick Mod". The new 2 channel chup would have been 1st if it was available.

1meanplexi":1afrrbb2 said:
Right now... I have a 2012 QR and Love it! On the way is a 1959 SLP reish' from FJA with the molten gain "Nick Mod". The new 2 channel chup would have been 1st if it was available.
I interested to hear what the clean on the Chup sounds like. That's been on of the reasons I never bought one...I need a clean channel.

That is the exact reason I sold mine. Zero complaits on the gain side of things. Nik said the clean would be fenderish with an option to take it to plexish tones.

Back