Best way to raise a 2x12 off the floor on stage

Odin

I just ordered an Avatar 2x12 cab and I'll be using it at some gigs. I need to raise the cabinet up off the floor. I use an amp stand with my combo amp, but the 2x12 is too big for the amp stand and it will have a head sitting on it so I need it to sit level. Other than buying a road case and sitting the cab on top of the empty road case, what are some good (and hopefully cheap) options? Anyone know of an amp stand that will work with a 2x12 cab?

:|::QBB:
SkyhighRocks":8409f said:
2 milk crates? or 4?

I thought about milk crates, but in addition to being ghetto I don't want to carry milk crates around with me to gigs. I'm hoping there's a compact stand that will work.

Odin":f0cb6 said:

I thought about milk crates, but in addition to being ghetto I don't want to carry milk crates around with me to gigs. I'm hoping there's a compact stand that will work.

if you dont want to be ghetto, get that road case! ;)

reformat hard":b29a8 said:

if you dont want to be ghetto, get that road case! ;)

Road cases are hell on leather interiors (don't ask how I know this). I have different gear for different bands, but with this band I don't haul my personal gear in a trailer, it goes in the back seat of my truck. If it's not raining I can put a road case in the bed of the truck, but if I buy a road case and it rains on gig day (a common occurance) then I have to load the road case in the back seat of my truck and that's a bad idea. That's why I was looking a buying a Tuki cover for the head and cab, but then I'm left with the problem of raising the cab on stage. Too many details. :(

Keep the amp on the floor and put the cab up vertical on its side. Worked great in a pinch. Im lucky becuase my Boogie MKIV shorthead fits on the can even when tilted(balances nicely)

Gainfreak":c8a87 said:
Keep the amp on the floor and put the cab up vertical on its side. Worked great in a pinch. Im lucky becuase my Boogie MKIV shorthead fits on the can even when tilted(balances nicely)

I used to do that with my Tonemaster head and cab, but the Splawn head is huge, it will look like a T. I'll try it though, maybe the head will sit up there stable.

Odin":36558 said:
I just ordered an Avatar 2x12 cab and I'll be using it at some gigs. I need to raise the cabinet up off the floor. I use an amp stand with my combo amp, but the 2x12 is too big for the amp stand and it will have a head sitting on it so I need it to sit level. Other than buying a road case and sitting the cab on top of the empty road case, what are some good (and hopefully cheap) options? Anyone know of an amp stand that will work with a 2x12 cab?

use 4 rolls of duct tape, one on each corner :D

I use a 4 space rack covered in that fuzzy grey or black material. It doesn't scuff up the speaker cab and mine is very light weight. I can leave the casters on my Marshall 2x12 as the rack case is just narrow enough to fit inside the wheels.

I use one like this and I carry spare cables in it but I'm sure there are cheaper one readily available.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Grundorf-4-Space-Carpeted-19-Deep-Rack-Road-Case_W0QQitemZ170090295366QQcategoryZ23789QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gainfreak":d870f said:
Yup....the Peters head that Steve has now is the exact width of an Avatar 2x12 on it's side...worked great!

I use an SKB case with my genz benz. It lifts the cab and doesn't take up much more space than the cab it's self at all.

Some 2x2's some 1x5's,4 casters and some flat black paint makes for a sturdy and cheap riser. Use corner protectors and it'll last a long time (if you use decent wood). 30 bucks or less.

Back