NAD: ELAN MK2 PRE BY METALHEAD ELECTRONICS - DINO FF TONES!

dawnofdreamx97

Got this in today and man I have to say I really love it ! A ton of different tones and features in this box, talk about ahead of his time , Elan is / was the man, great great great sounding preamp! DINO fear factory tones galore , plus killer cleans and crunch tones, you can blend the two channels if you want to which is pretty interesting, the fx loop and switching works killer to....

:rock: :rock:

Attachments

• IMAG0900.jpg
    IMAG0900.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7,929
  • IMAG0899.jpg
    IMAG0899.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7,926
thanks! actually it was with my carvin dc127 with suhr doug aldrich pickups, and celestion cl80 / H30 anniversary in x pattern in an old marshall cab....

briango2000":3spfmtl0 said:
Those are cool preamps...I did an amp mod loosely based off of that and it's super fun to play.

was that my amp by chance?

killer sounding preamp man, i don't suppose there are many of those around. :rock:

Shask":1ao43dft said:
Very cool.

I take it that this is some old rare thing that is impossible to find?

yea they're pretty hard to find these days, doesn't seem like there are many around, but they can be found sometimes....

Can't find anything about these guys. Im assuming no longer in business? Any links of info about them?

maddnotez":16xq026c said:
Can't find anything about these guys. Im assuming no longer in business? Any links of info about them?

This is what I know about Metal Head Electronics , it was Elan and His brother,

Initially back in late 2007 M@rk C@meron and I had been discussing a Fender twin head that he had been trying a new circuit out with. He was saying that it sounded killer and was similar to an ELAN mod. At that time I had no idea what that was, but after checking the amp out and playing it at his place I decided that's the mod I wanted in my Marshall that he was going to mod. He had explained Elan and his brother owned metalhead electronics, and that he knew him and was going to work with him but then they went out of business. I attached a bad old cell phone picture of the fender twin that had this circuit in it, it was the best cameron mod I ever played to date. The high gain channel had 3 preamp gain controls just like this preamp does and they all sort of dialed in the gain voicing a little differently. Sadly, I never got the mod after waiting for almost 5 years but was able to at least get my amp back thanks to a friend, I did lose the money I gave for the mod though...

I know that Elan worked for yamaha as an engineer at some point and was doing marshall mods and made a few preamps of his own in the early 90's , and then designed some stuff for german company excalibur and another company where he made a power amp for, i think it was called axis or something? I think that deal went sour and he moved to florida and is out of the game for many years, which I think is a shame.

This preamp is very ahead of it's time for sure, killer clean channel, over the top hi gain channel with 3 preamp gain controls, DC heaters, built in noise gate, tube buffered fx loop , channel switching( clean, crunch, lead) blend channel feature and so on...

Ever since I heard that amp at C@merons place, I wanted this tone, and finally after many years i'm glad I have it! :rock:

Oh and I know Dino from FF used his Marshall mods which is supposed to be just like this preamp or very close, rare to find preamp and mods if you find one grab it ! pretty cool piece of history and killer sounding :rock:

Attachments

• IMAGE_208.jpg
    IMAGE_208.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 7,528
Man, that sounds cool! Dino's tone on Obsolete is my all-time favorite rhythm guitar sound and I can hear it there. Gotta find one of those now! :rock:

richardt4520":27oavpf7 said:
Man, that sounds cool! Dino's tone on Obsolete is my all-time favorite rhythm guitar sound and I can hear it there. Gotta find one of those now! :rock:

You can also get there with a boosted 2 ch recto :thumbsup:
I nail these tones with EMG equipped guitars which are also part of the equation.

I recall he used Line 6 Pod Pro rackmounts running through a Mesa 2:90 for his Digimortal tones.
I recall him using his modded Marshall on Obsolete before it got stolen on tour.

That's what we're talking about. The Metal Head (Elan) modded Marshall. Same mod as the preamp above from what I understand (that urinal cake thing they would put inside amps). I've owned a couple of 2 channel Dual Recs back when I had EMGs in my guitars. DRs are great but the tone stack and distortion character are nothing like the sound above. It sounds more like the hifi kind of distortion that my Engl SE had. Tight.

Back