Renegade Channel 1 diminished volume

CoachJM

I have a Renegade head and channel 1 has about 1/10th the volume of channel 2 with the controls set identically between the 2 channels. Channel 2 sounds about like what I'd expect from an amp of that power while channel, 1 has very low volume for an amp of this power.

Any ideas on what the likely culprit is?

Thanks.

JM

First thought is to check the power tubes. Put in some new ones if you have spares, or maybe switch them around and see if the problem reverses? Just a thought. Also- do you have the tube mix dead center on both channels? That actually impacts output volume.

Len,

Thanks for your response.

I'll preface by saying I don't understand how these things work nearly as well as I'd like to, but wouldn't it have to be something in the path prior to the power tubes?

My thinking is that the power tubes are "shared equally" by both channels, while the pre-amp tubes are more used individually by each respective channel. So, if it were the power tubes, I'd expect it to affect both channels. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Per the tube layout diagram published on the Egnater website, it seems V2 might perhaps be the likely culprit.

http://www.egnateramps.com/download/RenegadeTubeChart.pdf

Or am I misunderstanding something? (And what, pray tell, is the "B" side of V1 used for, inquiring minds want to know....)

I have ALL the controls on both channels set to the "12 O'Clock" position, including the tube mix.

JM

You may be correct- I don't know. Output problems are often the output tubes. No harm in swapping out V2 and see what happens.

Tubes have been tested and all work. I ran a signal generator through the amp and got a good strong signal until before C16 and R21. Those two connect to V2 pin 2. That had a weak signal. I replaced both the resistor and capacitor just now and it still does the same thing.

same thing here too.
yes first thing replaced was V1a/V1b, V2a/V2b with new Tungsol's and replace V5a/V5b and V6a/b with know goods
(yes I know that 5&6 are shared with channel 2 but hey I could)
didn't replace anything in channel2.

Channel 2 on volume 3 (out of 10) is way louder than channel 1 on volume 8 (of 10)

that's as far as I've taken it.
got any ideas for me to try?

I am out of ideas with this one. I did a signal trace and noticed a HUGE volume drop right before the Grid of V2 which is pin 2. I can't find the source of where the sound is escaping. All other caps and resistors are working and check out according to my meter. I know it has to be a problem with V2, but I don't know what or where.

Just a thought (looking at the schematic)
if you're getting a good signal to C16/R21.. what if R22 was sending too much signal to ground?

I took a different approach (since I don't have a tone generator)

I decided to change V3 , the first tube in the 2nd channel. I switched it from an 12AX7 to a 12AT7.
I think I like that better, but I did notice that Channel 1 gain has a big jump between the 1am-2am position (not attributed to the AT7, but more due to me hearing the change)

so I wonder if it has more to do with channel 1's gain control?

I have the same problem. Swapping/replacing tubes has not lead to differences.. I hope you'll find a solution.

Has anybody figured this out yet?

I've just had this problem pop up on my Renegade (it's 4 yrs old).

Very diminished volume on channel 1. I'd have to crank this channel up all the way & still not get the same volume level as channel 2.

I've swapped out the V2 preamp tube & no change. I've adjusted the tube mix on both channels between the 6L6's & EL34s, but it does not affect the volume on either channel - therefore I'm willing to say it's not a tube issue.

I'm not an amp repair expert, so I'm afraid that I might have to take this in to get it looked at.

Hope someone has an answer for this - thanks in advance for your help

This forum is pretty much dead, I've been trying to figure out who unsuspecting soil I can unload my amp on,

Another try I suppose. Has anyone had any luck figuring this out on their own or by taking it to a shop? I am having the same issue and it is quite frustrating. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Back