Tweaker blowing mains fuse

I got an Egnater amp even after reading about all the transformer troubles ..

"Tweaker 40" -- first impression, kind of dull sounding but after flipping through some switches I found some sweet spots and some punch. I normally play through Marshall & Fender & Mesa combos and I typically use a 1960AV 4x12. The feedback sustain I was getting in the hot channel was fun, but not as cool as if my 50 watt Marshall JCM900 were doing the same thing. Its just not even a fair comparison. However, I welcomed the addition to my tone pallet.

I had the T40 set at 16 ohm plugged into the 1960AV 4x12 mono. I had played for about an hour then set the amp on stand-by and left the room for 20 mins. When I came back, the pretty blue light was off. I checked the switches, still set to on and in stand-by but no lights and then found the main fuse was blown. This thing blew the fuse while on stand-by, because when I walked away the blue light was on. I tried the convenient spare fuse, immediately main fuse blew again. So from what I've read about others experiences, the power transformer is "blown." I am just glad this isn't my only amp.

I am not sure what I'll do since I traded for this thing. Guess the MM upgrade is my only solid option. I'd have to see if any of the amp techs around STL want anything to do with it but it would seem to be at a least a $200 non warranty repair for me. If it were a warranty repair I might go for it, but, not sure I'd want another likely to fail transformer.

Back