Help wiring a 4x12

cujo

4x12
V30- 60 watt each 16 ohm 4 of them.

I want to wire for one jack... Do I do 16 ohm or 8 ohm?
And do u guys have a diagram ?

I don't have a diagram, but I just wired up a 16ohm cab and took a pic for a friend. All are 16ohm speakers. Each pair, left and right, are wired in parallel(16x16 in parallel is 8ohm). Those 2 pairs of 8ohm are wired in series with the jack. 8 + 8 in series is 16ohm.

E81CBB58-65E3-4CFC-9B8A-DE696FD82B04.jpg

Just a random question. Why are you guys recommending the highest possible ohms?

The op will never know until he tries all the combos but I prefer the lowest possible ohms.

If you plan to run several cabs I can understand highest but otherwise, is it just preference?

lester":35tvg9ex said:
^^^ Creambacks and V30's. That looks interesting...how's it sounding?
It sounds great IMO, they give me a bit of that greenback growl but keep everything tighter. I seem to always gravitate back to V30, so I keep crossing them. These and Scumback J75 have been my favorite combos so far.

cujo":35tvg9ex said:
Which input jack open or closed jack ?
Not sure what you mean man, it would be the main jack, not the parallel daisy chain jack.

maddnotez":35tvg9ex said:
Just a random question. Why are you guys recommending the highest possible ohms?

The op will never know until he tries all the combos but I prefer the lowest possible ohms.

If you plan to run several cabs I can understand highest but otherwise, is it just preference?
Personally, I do it because I have multiple cabs, and I'm used to how the parallel/series wiring sounds. I think it does make a difference if they are all parallel or series.

maddnotez":16cr4mds said:

If you have a tube amp with a multiple ohms selector (4, 8, 16 ohms), you will utilize a different amount of the windings in the output transformer. Set at 16 ohms settings, you will achieve full power with all the windings in the transformer. At 8 ohms setting, 1/2 of the transformer windings will be used, producing a bit more stress and heat in the transformer. At 4 ohms setting, you will use 1/4 of the windings in the transformer causing even more stress and heat to be produced. And at any setting with a tube amp, you will produce the same power (not so with solid state). So, if you can get 100 watts at 16 ohms, why use 4 ohms for the same 100 watts and build up stress/heat in the transformer?

Now if you run two 16 ohm cabs, you can set impedence to 8 ohms and still get the 100 watt output. Two 8 ohm cabs, set to 4 ohms. Still same power output (with tube amps). With solid state amps, higher impedence equals lower output power.

thunda":3vebbeft said:
maddnotez":3vebbeft said:

If you have a tube amp with a multiple ohms selector (4, 8, 16 ohms), you will utilize a different amount of the windings in the output transformer. Set at 16 ohms settings, you will achieve full power with all the windings in the transformer. At 8 ohms setting, 1/2 of the transformer windings will be used, producing a bit more stress and heat in the transformer. At 4 ohms setting, you will use 1/4 of the windings in the transformer causing even more stress and heat to be produced. And at any setting with a tube amp, you will produce the same power (not so with solid state). So, if you can get 100 watts at 16 ohms, why use 4 ohms for the same 100 watts and build up stress/heat in the transformer?

Now if you run two 16 ohm cabs, you can set impedence to 8 ohms and still get the 100 watt output. Two 8 ohm cabs, set to 4 ohms. Still same power output (with tube amps). With solid state amps, higher impedence equals lower output power.

Hey great info Ty. This is good to know.

So I guess that I prefer that stressed transformer sound lol.

Now that I know this, not enough of a difference for me to potentially damage the transformer.

IMO it depends on if you're gigging or not.

Gigging...go with 16ohm
Home use...go with 4ohm

You'll get a little more bass with 4ohm...and it feels tighter.

With 4 16ohm speakers you can't get 8ohms...and use them all.

maddnotez":3a37vljz said:
thunda":3a37vljz said:
maddnotez":3a37vljz said:

Hey great info Ty. This is good to know.

So I guess that I prefer that stressed transformer sound lol.

Now that I know this, not enough of a difference for me to potentially damage the transformer.

No - transformers actually are pretty tough. I've often run mine at 4 ohms with two 8 ohm cabs - no problem. I also have a 4 ohm cab with 4x10 Jensen mods in it. Sounds great.

Back