Epic Bartlett 59

lester":1cd5aptn said:
Dude, Steve used to be a guy that shared with us some of his high end purchases, and I for one, dug on living vicariously through him. But I've been getting the feeling, and maybe I'm wrong, that Steve got and is a bit tired and wore out with guys shitting on his threads and the just straight out jealousy. But whatever run off one of the, if not the, coolest members on here.

Almost everyone worth listening to or asking questions to on Rig Talk has long since left. That's why you can keep up with what's going on in this forum in about 10 minutes every other day. Then you'll see the threads you saw two days ago before still sitting in the middle of the page with no further responses to them. I hate to sound like an old geezer but this forum is a sad shadow of its former self. I never thought this forum would go that way, but it did. Hard.

Chubtone":1d7p5i6r said:
lester":1d7p5i6r said:
Dude, Steve used to be a guy that shared with us some of his high end purchases, and I for one, dug on living vicariously through him. But I've been getting the feeling, and maybe I'm wrong, that Steve got and is a bit tired and wore out with guys shitting on his threads and the just straight out jealousy. But whatever run off one of the, if not the, coolest members on here.

Almost everyone worth listening to or asking questions to on Rig Talk has long since left. That's why you can keep up with what's going on in this forum in about 10 minutes every other day. Then you'll see the threads you saw two days ago before still sitting in the middle of the page with no further responses to them. I hate to sound like an old geezer but this forum is a sad shadow of its former self. I never thought this forum would go that way, but it did. Hard.

Just out of curiosity who would that be? These sacred old timers? Seems to be a slap in the face of current members as if some "old school guys" had the only valid opinion.

ejecta":y0sps13y said:
Chubtone":y0sps13y said:
lester":y0sps13y said:

Just out of curiosity who would that be? These sacred old timers? Seems to be a slap in the face of current members as if some "old school guys" had the only valid opinion.
That's it I'm outta here.

Chubtone":b9k3h5zo said:
lester":b9k3h5zo said:

Brad should the name to Rigbook :yes:

Heyyyyyu I've been around since just before it was put up for sale and brad was just a wee member :LOL: :LOL: . Was the only trusting place to buy and trade with very informative info and cool dudes :aww:

Chubtone":2yp8n9hs said:
lester":2yp8n9hs said:

Word.

I use to really like this forum because of all the knowledge and the ability to learn from others.

Now all you can learn here is how to be a doushe it seems.

DOUSHE!!!!!!!

If you feel this is directed to you and you need to ask me if I am directing this at you then save yourself the effort and consider yourself accounted for as a complete and utter waste.

:) ;) :D :LOL: :LOL: :yes: :thumbsup: :bash: :m9: :doh:

Oh man, what a bunch of Nancy's.

You call someone out for being a dick and you're the dick. The whole world is upside down. Liberal utopia. :thumbsdown:

Yeah this place used to be so cool
Let's keep hanging around here and say how cool it used to be

ejecta":wd43pkrr said:
sah5150":wd43pkrr said:
hoss33":wd43pkrr said:
Why not put a nice Bartlett headstock on it and be proud of it?

The second next owner is going to sell it off as a real Gibson. "Super rare factory Black Burst"...
That would be dumb because they'll make more money selling it off as what it really is...

Steve

So does it look like a Gibson headstock with the logo and Les Paul sig or does it have a Bartlett headstock? I'm assuming by the responses it's just another small time builder who can't sell enough of his original deigns to guitars players so fucking closed minded and worried what others think abut their gear and forum cred that it has to have that sacred headstock design and logo.
It's a very accurate, painstakingly aged replica of a '59 LP. A replica is defined as "an exact copy or model of something". It's hand built by one guy using old growth lumber and original techniques with attention to detail that can't be matched by a big company approach for a price that is similar to a Collector's Choice. I personally appreciate this kind of craftsmanship and I've seen detailed pictures of how these builds are done and that is why I decided to get one. I'm not closed minded to original designs, I don't care what people think of my gear (although I share pictures sometimes for fun), I don't care about forum cred and personally, I don't care about sacred headstock designs and logos either... that aspect doesn't matter or appeal to me at all...

Steve

sah5150":g41b0i77 said:
ejecta":g41b0i77 said:
sah5150":g41b0i77 said:
hoss33":g41b0i77 said:

The second next owner is going to sell it off as a real Gibson. "Super rare factory Black Burst"...
That would be dumb because they'll make more money selling it off as what it really is...

Steve

So does it look like a Gibson headstock with the logo and Les Paul sig or does it have a Bartlett headstock? I'm assuming by the responses it's just another small time builder who can't sell enough of his original deigns to guitars players so fucking closed minded and worried what others think abut their gear and forum cred that it has to have that sacred headstock design and logo.
It's a very accurate, painstakingly aged replica of a '59 LP. A replica is defined as "an exact copy or model of something". It's hand built by one guy using old growth lumber and original techniques with attention to detail that can't be matched by a big company approach for a price that is similar to a Collector's Choice. I personally appreciate this kind of craftsmanship and I've seen detailed pictures of how these builds are done and that is why I decided to get one. I'm not closed minded to original designs, I don't care what people think of my gear (although I share pictures sometimes for fun), I don't care about forum cred and personally, I don't care about sacred headstock designs and logos either... that aspect doesn't matter or appeal to me at all...

Steve

I should clarify that I wasn't saying you are close minded. It just seems a portion of guitar players seem too obsessed about looks of something that was made create music that you use your ears to enjoy.

If I may ask though.... would you be ok with someone making an exact copy of your Cherry Bomb amp down to every detail including your logo and name and selling it?

ejecta":w9hslv0m said:
sah5150":w9hslv0m said:
ejecta":w9hslv0m said:
sah5150":w9hslv0m said:
hoss33":w9hslv0m said:

Steve

Steve

I should clarify that I wasn't saying you are close minded. It just seems a portion of guitar players seem too obsessed about looks of something that was made create music that you use your ears to enjoy.

If I may ask though.... would you be ok with someone making an exact copy of your Cherry Bomb amp down to every detail including your logo and name and selling it?

That's apples to oranges.

50's and early 60's Les Pauls haven't been produced for over 50 years and Gibson won't or can't produce replicas that use the same materials and craftsmanship. Hence the need to purchase quality replicas from other builders.

The Cherry Bomb is still being produced by the original designer/manufacturer.

rlord1974":3jvpk00e said:
ejecta":3jvpk00e said:
sah5150":3jvpk00e said:
ejecta":3jvpk00e said:
sah5150":3jvpk00e said:
hoss33":3jvpk00e said:

Steve

Steve

50's and early 60's Les Pauls haven't been produced for over 50 years and Gibson won't or can't produce replicas that use the same materials and craftsmanship. Hence the need to purchase quality replicas from other builders.

So, would it be OK if I remade Nike Jordan XII's and sell them for profit? Nike can't or won't remake them, hence the need to find a quality replica...

sah5150":2m7o7lus said:
ejecta":2m7o7lus said:
sah5150":2m7o7lus said:
hoss33":2m7o7lus said:

Steve

Steve

:thumbsup:

ejecta":304xdmyt said:
I didn't take any offense to what you said, I was just clarifying my position. You may very well be right about obsession with looks, etc, but most of the folks here are not pro musicians, in fact, many don't gig or record at all. If their hobby is buying guitars based on the look, or whatever, who cares, and why are they to be looked down on for doing so?

ejecta":304xdmyt said:
I knew this was coming, and it is a fair question. The only thing I am conflicted on in the least is the logo/name, however, as I said, that aspect is irrelevant to me. In other words, I'd buy the guitar with whatever was written on the headstock. To me that has no value. The guitar will have more value as what it really is, so passing it off as something from the original manufacturer makes no sense and any real buyer is going to know it is not a real '59... It is a replica and people make replicas of all kinds of things down to the last detail...

If the original manufacturer was making guitars like this, I'd buy one, but they don't... that is why there is a small market for these in the first place.

As far as making something that copies a design, it happens every day. Ceriatone and any number of amp companies make a living directly copying other designs EXACTLY, putting a different logo on the final product and selling it (usually cheaper) and no one seems to have much issue with that. You can't really protect amp designs - they are simple circuits and it is cost prohibitive to try to actually patent any innovation around them for small companies anyway. You have to have deep pockets to enforce a patent. Not worth it... I think patenting guitar bodies and head stocks that have been in the public domain for 60 years is laughable, especially since many companies were making the same style guitars forever. It is just a way to try and control the market now...

Finally, it would be silly of anyone to use my name and logo. I have very low market penetration, so anyone copying my amp would be better off putting their own name on it. if someone was making an exact copy of my amp with a different name, there would be nothing I could do about it frankly, so I wouldn't care in the least... If it was really an exact copy down to the components, I'd know for a fact they couldn't price it cheaper than I have and make money...

Steve

jsp":2gswhfi2 said:
rlord1974":2gswhfi2 said:
ejecta":2gswhfi2 said:
sah5150":2gswhfi2 said:
ejecta":2gswhfi2 said:
sah5150":2gswhfi2 said:
hoss33":2gswhfi2 said:

Steve

Steve

So, would it be OK if I remade Nike Jordan XII's and sell them for profit? Nike can't or won't remake them, hence the need to find a quality replica...

Another apples to oranges comparison. But go ahead, knock yourself out. Just keep in mind that nobody wants them other than some microcosm of society with a bizarre fetish for ugly rubber shoes.

Always remember, no one is selling these as the real thing. The brand/builder is actually part of the selling point and anyone of whom is trying to buy the Authentic guitar will have it verified by an expert for authenticity. Since all the parts on these are repro parts, it's easily recognizable as a replica as opposed to genuine.

Gibson cannot replicate them with the precision or expertise of the originals, not the materials, not even things like body shape/carve/neck size is something Gibson can get right of their own guitars.

Serial numbers are not reproduced from the originals, etc.

The replicas are easily distinguished as what they are, an exacting replica of a individual luthier dedicated to restoring the instrument in the current day. They absolutely have their place. Even if you owned a REAL 59' Burst...how often would you take it out and gig it?

Having a replica allows for all the tone and playability without the risk of destroying something virtually priceless.

Back