Epic Bartlett 59

IndyWS6":3ub68gy1 said:
I just can't justify one - and it has nothing to do with copyrights or patent infringements. Somewhere along the line, I became incredibly practical when it comes to financial decisions. I'm talking neurotic levels of practicality. I'm a half-assed rhythm guitar player in a generic cover band. Combine that with the neurotic practicality and I struggle to come up with a way to justify the purchase. Doesn't mean I'm not trying, though ;)

I've been looking at them for over a year. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger...

IMO you can't really try to "justify" a purchase like this. I mean can anyone justify purchasing a sports car for example? Nooo....its for your enjoyment and pleasure. Lifes too short....buy and enjoy...but only if you can afford and its not on credit.

ptgold":6nfustex said:
IndyWS6":6nfustex said:
I just can't justify one - and it has nothing to do with copyrights or patent infringements. Somewhere along the line, I became incredibly practical when it comes to financial decisions. I'm talking neurotic levels of practicality. I'm a half-assed rhythm guitar player in a generic cover band. Combine that with the neurotic practicality and I struggle to come up with a way to justify the purchase. Doesn't mean I'm not trying, though ;)

I've been looking at them for over a year. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger...

IMO you can't really try to "justify" a purchase like this. I mean can anyone justify purchasing a sports car for example? Nooo....its for your enjoyment and pleasure. Lifes too short....buy and enjoy...but only if you can afford and its not on credit.

If you play for a living you can. You can even write it off!

petethorn":3nrqvs2w said:
ptgold":3nrqvs2w said:
IndyWS6":3nrqvs2w said:

Somehow, I occasionally get paid to play (badly) on the weekends. Good thiing it's not my only income, though, or I would be living in a van under a bridge :LOL: :LOL:

I do include profit/loss info on my taxes, but the "loss" can only be spread so far...

petethorn":ww3s1egg said:
ptgold":ww3s1egg said:
IndyWS6":ww3s1egg said:

...or if you own an amp company! ;)

Steve

sah5150":27t4wob3 said:
petethorn":27t4wob3 said:
ptgold":27t4wob3 said:
IndyWS6":27t4wob3 said:

...or if you own an amp company! ;)
Sadly, I don't :LOL: :LOL:
Steve

bonedarrell":37zv35sj said:
Go look up the definition of counterfeit. You're off on this one. No fraudulent intent from the builder. All of us that own a Barltett clearly know we don't own actual Gibsons. That's the point.

No. They are selling Gibson's design. That's the only point I was making. They may not be deceiving their customers, but they are infringing on Gibson's copyrights.

jsp":zlhywp0a said:
bonedarrell":zlhywp0a said:
Go look up the definition of counterfeit. You're off on this one. No fraudulent intent from the builder. All of us that own a Barltett clearly know we don't own actual Gibsons. That's the point.

No. They are selling Gibson's design. That's the only point I was making. They may not be deceiving their customers, but they are infringing on Gibson's copyrights.

Gibson copied the body design from someone else early on......

Business":2mj1kzt9 said:
Thanks for the input Pete

I don't think anybody's comparing Bartlett/Yaron with Chinese copies tone- or quality-wise

Do Bartlett/Yaron guitars have to be copies in order to sound as good as a '59 LP? I know Bartlett make other models. If they use the same wood and crafstmanship, why not make an original guitar that will sound as good as a replica?
Since the replicas are a touchy subject, both builders have now came out with their own designs, they are similiar in some ways to a 59 but different in many ways. Check bartletts website and all the talk is about his own design, looks really nice too. Same thing with yaron , he has his own model that supposedly sounds fantastic and looks great also.

steve_k":oszdnfpr said:
fretout":oszdnfpr said:
Headstock pics?

Congratulations. You win the "let's be a dick" award for today.

Uhhhh, thanks! Not trying to be a dick at all actually. The only Bartletts I see are the build threads on MLP, and they all sport the typical Gibson headstock. I don't know if Bartlett has their own headstock shape or if they also use the Gibson open book headstock. Just trying to catch a shit of a new design, if it exists. If that makes me the dick of the day, so be it.

I fully support these so-called "replicas". I think that if Gibson could make a guitar people want, they would buy it. They can't build a guitar using the same materials, let alone the attention to detail. Because Gibson wants to fleece people by changing the way they make guitars, and charge people thousands more for a chambered (not that there's anything wrong with that) or fretboards made out of something other than rosewood/Ebony (not that there's anything wrong with that), then we should turn to luthiers that can deliver what we want. Gibson can't make a '59 LP like the independent luthiers can. I've seen many, many, many LPs built off the Bartlett plans, and the overwhelming majority have had more accurate workmanship than Gibson themselves.

I'm not trying to get anyone's guitar taken away. I know several people that have built their guitars off Bartlett's plans and used their maple to make their guitars, and they posted all sorts of pics online (including the headstock), and no one's tried to take their guitars, so I didn't realize it was such an issue. I can understand your concern, but I wasn't aware you being an informed-consumer was an offense. I was only aware of builders that received cease-and-desist notices.

Now, thinking about replicas, many "guitar heroes" use "replica" Gibsons. Slash's original LP was a replica. James Hetfield's Flying V was a replica...

Sorry for derailing your NGD thread. That wasn't really the point. Now, go get some coffee...

fretout":xoe7flcq said:
Uhhhh, thanks! Not trying to be a dick at all actually. The only Bartletts I see are the build threads on MLP, and they all sport the typical Gibson headstock. I don't know if Bartlett has their own headstock shape or if they also use the Gibson open book headstock.
This is the Bartlett headstock:

retrospec-sunburst_src_7.jpg

hoss33":2x7oqn7b said:
fretout":2x7oqn7b said:
Uhhhh, thanks! Not trying to be a dick at all actually. The only Bartletts I see are the build threads on MLP, and they all sport the typical Gibson headstock. I don't know if Bartlett has their own headstock shape or if they also use the Gibson open book headstock.
This is the Bartlett headstock:

retrospec-sunburst_src_7.jpg

Haven't seen that design before. It looks like they made the headstock a little more narrow than the typical 3-on-3 headstock shape, and the truss rod cover is pretty high up. Pretty cool, simple design. Reminds me of a less-lava-lamp-ish Danelectro with the string pull and graded top...

While I was searching around, I found maybe the most ornate headstock inlay...

Gibsons latest move is to no longer take the extra time and skill to properly do the binding nibs over fret ends. Of course that they pass it off as a move for our benefit to give us more room but in reality it is just another corner being cut. Another reason why these high end bartletts and yarons are in demand.

wow, this thread sure turned to shit....typical it seems these days...a bunch jealous pricks in a nutshell is what it is all about...not the high and mighty morals

Nice Les Paul Steve!

LP Freak":29jdf3f9 said:
I'll take jealous pricks over gay jokes any day.

I must have missed something in the thread, I saw mostly jealous fucks who feel better shitting on a mans guitar he worked hard to purchase.

I'll take neither jealous pricks OR gay bashers thank you very much ;)

From the man himself - Bartlett's perspective on the replica situation -

"If gibson or fender want to sue a company for using their design they can go ahead and do it - even if they know they would lose in court.
They ultimately will get their way because they know that they can bankrupt you with legal fees years before it ever went to trial. That's the unfortunate part here, and that is exactly what they are doing. If they keep it up they will one day be served themselves with a lawsuit by all of those small builders who have finally ganged together to fight back. It is already beginning because word spreads quickly amongst the builders who really support each other.

Fender lost their trademarks due to leaving them unprotected, and so has gibson. Tokai and burny and countless thousands of other companies have been making les paul shaped guitars for decades, and gibson has sat back and watched until just recently. They are just trying to squish the ones who make it a marketing agenda to point out gibson's many flaws.

Gibsons made today are so far removed from the ones they are copying in every way except for basic shape.

I wish more people who are being harassed by them would speak out against it and let the public know how they are being bullied for profits.

They even threatened Historic Makeovers for pointing out the flaws in gibsons current product, and made them change their wording to reflect "less negatively" on gibsons product. God forbid they actually improve their basic product..."

Back