Steve Lukather's NEW Pedalboard-RACKSYSTEMS

Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone happen to know Luke's delay settings on the DL8s?

No, but I know that Musicians Friend has the DL8 as their Stupid Deal of the Day today, selling them for $60 a pop.

Yeah I got one of the DL-8's the last time they were the SDOTD. Missed out on todays. I'd love a second one for different settings.

JustinSmithson":2lv3fpd3 said:
Just curious, is there a reason for using the smart-gate first in the loop chain? Thank you!

So as the gate does not cut off the delay trails.

:rock:

So he doesn't use the boost features on the Ecstasy? Or are they switched on all the time via the front panel?

One more question, in the signal chain explanation, you didn't mention the Flashback delay. I assume that he is using that for slapback. Is it in line with the amp or in the loop? Where in said chain would it be located. Thank you!

Hi Guys!

Sorry for digging this old thread, but i feel that somehow my question fit to this topic.

Im an owner of MM Luke II and Bogner XTC - cause obviously im a big fan of Lukather :D

I wanted to obtain Luke tone and i must say that im a bit disappointed. When i am playing alone - it is great, tasty, fat and smooth, but when it comes to rehearsals with my band it is tragic, it is really hard to cut through them, like 'blanket effect'.

I saw few videos and photos with Lukather Bogner settings and this only made me sure that something is weird. Lukather has really low treble setting like 10-11 o,clock on audio taper pot (!!), presence on 12 (so basically it is totally inactive), pre-eq off, microfone definetly off-axis - with this settings even god fingers cant cut through mix, and yet he can... :doh:

So i am asking how is it possible? :D The only thing that comes to my mind are those Transition pickups - maybe they are much brighter and open sounding than emg's? What do you think guys?

I am not sure about your stuation or guitar ?
I have an xtc and I also have transitions in a telecastor thinline.
The pickups sound amazing .
I can't say wether they are brighter then others ?
What delay or effects are you using ?
If you are using a 2x12 where are you placing the cab, and what kind of cab is it ?
I know some 2x12 cabs sound great, but I really feel that the ecstacy comes alive with a 4x12 and if you have a bogner 4x12 they really bring out the goods.
The ecstacy really likes v30's

Thanks for respond!

The thing is that i have EMG pickups in my guitar NOW, and i am wondering if they are the reason that my sound is not enough open and bright. So the question is - would Bogner XTC became more opened and cutting thorugh mix with Transition pickups instead of EMG's?

And currently we are talking about dry signal, without any effects.

Cheers!

Recon":3r9hmw2b said:
Thanks for respond!

The thing is that i have EMG pickups in my guitar NOW, and i am wondering if they are the reason that my sound is not enough open and bright. So the question is - would Bogner XTC became more opened and cutting thorugh mix with Transition pickups instead of EMG's?

And currently we are talking about dry signal, without any effects.

Cheers!

Yes, I would definitely swap out the EMG's for Transition or other passive pickups, should solve your problem, I had the same issue in the past trying EMG's in guitars, they don't cut through the mix for that type of tone, unless you're going for modern metal than they might work..

Thank you!

Okay so that is something. Ive heard also from other sources that Transition are noticeably brighter than EMG's.

So finally Bogner is too dark amp for such pickups as EMG - it start cutting only at treble set >3 o'clock. Maybe that is why Lukather played through Luke II so rarely when using xtc.

Recon":7wty1wxz said:
Thank you!

Okay so that is something. Ive heard also from other sources that Transition are noticeably brighter than EMG's.

So finally Bogner is too dark amp for such pickups as EMG - it start cutting only at treble set >3 o'clock. Maybe that is why Lukather played through Luke II so rarely when using xtc.

My suspicions are exactly the opposite. From what I've heard, the Transitions are pretty dark (from clips and people trying them out). My friend (who is a Dimarzio endorser) thought the bridge pickup was too dark even for his taste (and he is a huge fan of the tones of Holdsworth and other players with pretty rolled back treble). The neck pickup is apparently more open. You never know what happens to a tone from the sound hits the speaker, goes through a mic to a mixing console etc, before it hits your ears. Ever heard Eric Johnsons dirty tones before it gets polished and brightened up further down the signal chain? It's almost absurdly dark and muddy.

Back