Got my CCV - have a few questions

Peter Lacis

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the Cameron camp and wanted to say hello. I purchased a Brad King era CCV off of here recently and was curious about everyone's experiences with these amps. So far, I've really enjoyed getting into this amp! There are so many options that it definitely takes time to get through everything. I'm curious, however, about what folks think is the overall "vibe" of the CCV (and the differences in the Brad King ones). The amp is awesome, and the gain can really yield some awesome sustain for soloing. However I was expecting the amp to be "ruder" I guess. I will be the first to admit that I really haven't had an opportunity to have it wide open as I'm currently living in a town house. So with that all said, what do guys think of the different CCV versions? Has anyone here had the original CCV to actually compare to the Brad King era ones? Love to hear your thoughts. I hope to post some clips soon!

Thanks!

-Peter

I've played both in the same room. I think the BK era has a slight bit more gain due to lower voltage diodes used. Other than that they are basically the same IMO. I do know that there will be some differences in ones made by Mark...since he may have used different pot values (different tapers, etc) etc. no need to worry if any one is better, just enjoy what you have.

Regarding aggressive tone, you need to play around with the amp. You should be able to go from a smooth mid range tone to a punch you in the face, stand on your neck tone. ;). Go read the manual...I actually wrote it.

hey peter

i have analyzed the 2007 and 2011 amps as well as any recent CCVs. they are basically the same n you should be able to dial them in close to one another with some slight differences.

Thanks guys, that's good to hear. I've been spending a little more time with the amp and have really been impressed. Being that my point of reference has been an OD100 Classic + and a Friedman BE/HBE modded Egnater Seminar Head, this is quite the new territory for me. I hope to post some samples videos soon.

Congrats Peter!

Mine is a Pre-Production #2 and I'm usually dialed to CH2 with the Master Gain Style set to the far right. This produces the most diode clipping according to my specs, which may be reversed on your Brad era CCV. My ears have yet to appreciate CH2's Master Gain Style switch set to anything other than that position.

My amp is typically played in combination with my ESP Kamikaze I (maple body guitar with a Seymour Duncan JB Alnico II magnet swap) & Marshall '79 4x12 fullstack with G12-65s & G12H-30 55Hz Blackbacks. This delivers a brutal Lynch tone that I've yet to successfully reproduce in a recording.

Below are my settings, using clock locations:

• Punch: 9 - Voicing Switch: Left
  • Presence: 5 (Max) - Dark Switch: Right

• CH1 Master: 12 - Gain Style Switch: Right
  • CH1 Bass: 2
  • CH1 Middle: 10
  • CH1 Treble: 5 (Max)
  • CH1 Gain: 5 (Max) - Bright Switch: Left

• CH2 Solo: 12 - Gain Style Switch: Middle
  • CH2 Master: 12 - Gain Style Switch: Right
  • CH2 Bass: 2
  • CH2 Middle: 10
  • CH2 Treble: 5 (Max)
  • CH2 Gain 2: 12 - Bright 2 Switch: Left
  • CH2 Gain 1: 12 - Bright 1 Switch: Left

Enjoy that amp!

Cheers,
Nick

Here are typical setting I use. I like to use low power since my CCV has its bias settings very close on both high and low power. Both are around 65%.

psychodave":2nn0sbuq said:
I've played both in the same room. I think the BK era has a slight bit more gain due to lower voltage diodes used. Other than that they are basically the same IMO. I do know that there will be some differences in ones made by Mark...since he may have used different pot values (different tapers, etc) etc. no need to worry if any one is better, just enjoy what you have.

Regarding aggressive tone, you need to play around with the amp. You should be able to go from a smooth mid range tone to a punch you in the face, stand on your neck tone. ;). Go read the manual...I actually wrote it.
"They are basically the same." And there you have it from the man who knows Cameron amps as well as anybody..... Pete, this is Jeff, I'm the one who sold you the CCV. I'm really glad to hear that you are enjoying the amp, because it IS a killer. When I had it for sale, I had three people inquire, only to completely lose interest when I said it was a "Brad run." They only wanted the CCV's built by Mark. Obsess much? :jerkit: Gimme a fucking break. ANY CCV is going to rip your face off. Anyway, enjoy your CCV, Peter, and thanks again for the smoooooth sale. And Dave, thanks for confirming what I've always suspected. :thumbsup:

Beyond Black":2zd7mfo2 said:
"They are basically the same." And there you have it from the man who knows Cameron amps as well as anybody..... Pete, this is Jeff, I'm the one who sold you the CCV. I'm really glad to hear that you are enjoying the amp, because it IS a killer. When I had it for sale, I had three people inquire, only to completely lose interest when I said it was a "Brad run." They only wanted the CCV's built by Mark. Obsess much? :jerkit: Gimme a fucking break. ANY CCV is going to rip your face off. Anyway, enjoy your CCV, Peter, and thanks again for the smoooooth sale. And Dave, thanks for confirming what I've always suspected. :thumbsup:

LoL, that's funny! From a debugging standpoint, I'd purchase a Brad-run version if I were to do it all over again & purchase another CCV-100. Not to slam Mark's work... but there's no way in hell my local amp tech would agree to work on this amp.

Du31E8u.jpg

I had both the original CCV and the Brad era CCV and i really liked the Brad era one a bit better....Had more gain than my original and had the same tone....Both great amps but if i had to choose between the both i would pick the Brad era one....

Are you guys saying that unicorns riding on glitter rainbows don't fly out of the speaker cab that's got a "pre-Brad" CCV sitting on top of it? OMFG!!!! The next thing you're going to tell me is that I'm still going to sound like "me" when I play through it! :LOL: :LOL:

Again, they are all based of of the same "base" design, but May have slight differences based on customers taste or playing style

btw, thanks for the settings. I'll have to compare them to mine when I get home from Mexico and also, just set them n hear what tone you guys like! :)

keennay":2dvos6gx said:
Beyond Black":2dvos6gx said:

LoL, that's funny! From a debugging standpoint, I'd purchase a Brad-run version if I were to do it all over again & purchase another CCV-100. Not to slam Mark's work... but there's no way in hell my local amp tech would agree to work on this amp.

Du31E8u.jpg

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but if your local amp tech can't figure out the amp he must not be any good. The amp is pretty straight forward design. I'm not even an amp tech (by a mile) and I can figure out the amp and layout.

keennay":3k7fry9e said:
Beyond Black":3k7fry9e said:

Du31E8u.jpg
I think your amp tech should consider a new job :D Really :confused:

Beyond Black":qd032sa1 said:
psychodave":qd032sa1 said:

I spoke with Mark recently and he said the BK CCV's and his CCV's have the same amount of gain on the max gain setting. Mark just used different pots...like audio taper, linear taper and reverse audio taper. So turning the pots would even the gain out between amps. Mark did said the mid gain setting was slightly different with his CCV's having slightly higher volt zeners and BK CCV's having slightly lower volt zeners.

splawner":37ebj35n said:
keennay":37ebj35n said:
Beyond Black":37ebj35n said:

Du31E8u.jpg

Well well.."one" of my old CCV's and not to make anything out of it..I never owned one that looked like that on the inside and may have been reworked over time??

jmp1lord":xboe53sp said:
splawner":xboe53sp said:
keennay":xboe53sp said:
Beyond Black":xboe53sp said:

Du31E8u.jpg

Well well.."one" of my old CCV's and not to make anything out of it..I never owned one that looked like that on the inside and may have been reworked over time??[/quot.

lester":2nqw4ssh said:
Let's compare then -

22204222860_dc8c107fd3_z.jpg

22204503338_b4dfe84ae6_c.jpg

Yeah Kurt, it seems like someone was fucking around in there.

wrong,

those are pics of 2 different amps, I owned the ccv posted here for like 5 years, I bought it from Kurt, and that's how it looked when I had, and how it looked when it came from Mark also, It has an external bias pot and can use any power tube setup. That amp is all over my bands last cd, it's a great amp and I do miss it....

Back