Torpedo CAB... Looking for EQ Filter Cab Sims

McLeanAB

Hey all,

So I picked up a Torpedo CAB to see what the fuss is about... great machine, simple to use... even the Remote, La Boutique, everything...

However, after three or four days of playing around, my ears are fried! I'm being thrown back to the 80's, inside a recording studio, moving a microphone by an inch at a time and wondering if THAT was THE sound... hours of playing around, never sure, never quite right... hated it. Kinda love that the CAB takes me back there, but I'm experiencing the same sort of burn out...

So I go back to my Theta Rack Preamp XLR outs (a lowpass filter) and all sounds right with the world... (same with my Theta Pro lowpass filter cab sim)...

So, I found the Hughes and Kettner Red Box IR from their website, and someone on another forum found a Behring Ultra G IR, and the fellas at the fractal forum have the ADA Microcab and the Palmer PDI-09... but those last two are in the fractal specific .syx format which I'm not sure how to convert, nor if it's even possible to do so, for a format that works with the Torpedo CAB.

So... does anyone know if there are .wav IR versions of those lovely old analog EQ filter cab sims that can be loaded into the Torpedo CAB? Or perhaps others? Where might I find them, if they are indeed out there?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated!

sysexguy":196zmyzw said:
http://exchange.two-notes.com/index.php

I did all 24 modes of the ADA Ampulator and there is also some Palmer and Redbox IRs in Torpedo format iirc

Holy crap! THANK YOU... I just found them... I wasn't aware that there WAS an exchange...

Just loaded up and scrolled through and man oh man that Ampulator sounds SWEET with some extra power amp sims in the CAB.

I'll go searching for the Red Box, 'cause it's probably different than the IR H&K has on their website... (can't find it... :( )

Do you still have the Ampulator? I know with the Microcab there was a 'secret' setting where all the cab buttons were out (none pressed in) and I always thought that sounded best...

I have a lovely old DMC Voodoo Labs ToneCab I could mail you if you want to do those!!!

Thanks again! These are going to be a blast to play with....

I do and I wasn't aware of the "secret"....so I will try it and sample and post the result.

We can do the VoodooLabs however I am in Canada which adds a small amount to cost and logistics. Perhaps I can do it next time I'm in Nashville and/or you or another user could do it as well. The process in BlendIR is very easy and takes only minutes.

sysexguy":23btxkbi said:
I do and I wasn't aware of the "secret"....so I will try it and sample and post the result.

We can do the VoodooLabs however I am in Canada which adds a small amount to cost and logistics. Perhaps I can do it next time I'm in Nashville and/or you or another user could do it as well. The process in BlendIR is very easy and takes only minutes.

I'm happy to mail it to you on my dime and pay you for your time!

Capturing IR's is a bit tricky as I haven't dealt with that yet, and would need some tutoring... (time is a bit of an issue as well, but we're all busy...)

I'm experimenting with Blend, but still a bit unsure, but man that 32 band equalizer is great to have...

Let me know, I'm happy to ship it! And thanks again for all of the samples from the Ampulator!

Just so you know we have been working on captures for Devin Townsend. Devin wanted to mix the sound of his Radial JDX and his Mesa rectifier Standard. I don't have the result(s) yet but they will be posted on the Two Notes Exchange. ;)

guillaume_pille":2j1qf7kx said:
Just so you know we have been working on captures for Devin Townsend. Devin wanted to mix the sound of his Radial JDX and his Mesa rectifier Standard. I don't have the result(s) yet but they will be posted on the Two Notes Exchange. ;)

Fantastic! I would LOVE it if there's a capture of just the Radial JDX...

And has anyone captured the Mesa Cab Clone? :)

Or the AMT Chameleon, or the cab sims on any of the old Marshall preamps (JMP-1, 9004) or the SE-100?

I might be willing to buy a few if someone is willing to capture them for me!

(You guys rock...)

I LOVE that I have the Ampulator... way to throw me right back to the '89!

you can send me the voodoo, I'll sample it and return it. PM me for details

Also, right along with the Ampulator files are Korg SDE-3000 filter IR's, they are killer on the right guitar or keyboard track.

Is the Cab Clone really that bad? It sort of sounded like the Palmer stuff to me (which I'm not terribly fond of... very compressed and 'tinny').

The Cab Clone sounds nothing like a real mic'd speaker cab as it's just a basic analog filter like all the others (Palmer, JDI, H&K etc).

If you like the sound of it though that's fine as you can load an IR of it into any Two Notes product that supports standard IR's.

McLeanAB":2ivfr58p said:
Is the Cab Clone really that bad? It sort of sounded like the Palmer stuff to me (which I'm not terribly fond of... very compressed and 'tinny').

If I got one, that's what I would do....

The Ampulator IR is awesome after a bit of tweaking in the CAB!

Hey, Ola Englund made it sound good!!!

With the right amount of makeup and the right camera angle, a great director and photo operator, everything is possible! ^^

i'm joking, but I totally understand that some people will like the sound of analog speakersims. We started the Torpedo series with another idea in mind: getting as close as possible to the real deal. Analog filter can try, but will always fail.

But getting the right tone for your song is a different beast, a subjective and artistic approach, so if the cabclone sound is what you need, I'm perfectly OK with that, and the good new is that you can load its response into your CAB. ;)

guillaume_pille":17yc2mkg said:
But getting the right tone for your song is a different beast, a subjective and artistic approach, so if the cabclone sound is what you need, I'm perfectly OK with that, and the good new is that you can load its response into your CAB. ;)

Exactly! As far as it being what I "need," I'm in serious doubt... but I'd like to try it out! With the Ampulator IR's (thanks Andy), I was able to tweak with the Power Amp section and serious EQ and got something spectacular (for my specific tastes) that I could make 5 or 6 distinctly different great presets with. Hopefully, I can do that with a few of the old analog filter sims, and possibly even the dreaded Cab Clone!

And yes, the Torpedo is an awesome machine...

One thing we need is to grow the community so if you like the Ampulator IRs and made some great patches with them, please consider sharing them on the Two Notes Exchange.

The same would apply to others who are reading these threads. I am sure we can collectively provide greater resources for the user base and learn in the process. If you have a great patch for Torpedo, please share it! :rock:

Back