Got my CCV - have a few questions

lester":8at7ruyp said:
Did you install that loop Nick, or did it come like that too?

That's exactly how the amp came, like I said those are two completely different amps in the pics.

The loop is just a passive insert , nothing special going on.

psychodave":346az13g said:
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but if your local amp tech can't figure out the amp he must not be any good. The amp is pretty straight forward design. I'm not even an amp tech (by a mile) and I can figure out the amp and layout.

splawner":346az13g said:
I think your amp tech should consider a new job :D Really :confused:

Lol guys, where in my post did I mention that my amp tech lacks the capability of debugging my CCV if he had to? I was poking fun at the fact Mark had a funny way of wiring up the amp (compared to most production tube amps today)... and my tech most likely wouldn't want to touch it with a ten foot pole!

dawnofdreamx97":346az13g said:
wrong,

those are pics of 2 different amps, I owned the ccv posted here for like 5 years, I bought it from Kurt, and that's how it looked when I had, and how it looked when it came from Mark also, It has an external bias pot and can use any power tube setup. That amp is all over my bands last cd, it's a great amp and I do miss it....

That's a cool bit of history. Who all has owned Kurt's amp since yourself? I know it was previously owned by forum member Jer before Ampaddict, then myself. It sure seems like whatever Kurt used to own somehow falls into my hands, like a 1978 Marshall JMP 2203. :D

keennay":3eqaxyxc said:
psychodave":3eqaxyxc said:
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but if your local amp tech can't figure out the amp he must not be any good. The amp is pretty straight forward design. I'm not even an amp tech (by a mile) and I can figure out the amp and layout.

splawner":3eqaxyxc said:
I think your amp tech should consider a new job :D Really :confused:

Lol guys, where in my post did I mention that my amp tech lacks the capability of debugging my CCV if he had to? I was poking fun at the fact Mark had a funny way of wiring up the amp (compared to most production tube amps today)... and my tech most likely wouldn't want to touch it with a ten foot pole!

dawnofdreamx97":3eqaxyxc said:
wrong,

those are pics of 2 different amps, I owned the ccv posted here for like 5 years, I bought it from Kurt, and that's how it looked when I had, and how it looked when it came from Mark also, It has an external bias pot and can use any power tube setup. That amp is all over my bands last cd, it's a great amp and I do miss it....

That's a cool bit of history. Who all has owned Kurt's amp since yourself? I know it was previously owned by forum member Jer before Ampaddict, then myself. It sure seems like whatever Kurt used to own somehow falls into my hands, like a 1978 Marshall JMP 2203. :D

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

psychodave":25qzgvgb said:
I spoke with Mark recently and he said the BK CCV's and his CCV's have the same amount of gain on the max gain setting. Mark just used different pots...like audio taper, linear taper and reverse audio taper. So turning the pots would even the gain out between amps. Mark did said the mid gain setting was slightly different with his CCV's having slightly higher volt zeners and BK CCV's having slightly lower volt zeners.
The BK eras had the metro loop as well from what Ive seen. While subtle it appears as if if the BK stuck with the more traditional values for voltage divider/peaker caps (470k+470pf/470k) where Marks signature mods are slightly different and same with slope resistors and treble cap used traditional values on the BK. The BK also used 1uf cathode bypass. End result is the BK sounds slightly more modern to my ears. As has been stated, no 2 of Marks builds are the same. Not that they are completely different, but subtle tweaks here and there.

I have tried alot of different combinations in my builds and started with closer to a BK clone. After more research and reviewing subsequent information and access to other of Marks builds, I ended up changing quite a few subtle things that deviated from the BK builds. When looking at a larger sample size of MC mods you will certainly see some signature component values that are not present in the BK. Not saying 1 is better, simply the BKs are standardized for production whereas Marks builds we're not

Back