I hate Gary Holt

billsbigego

:no: :confused:

But I love this damn tune and that riff. :doh:

I'm up to 60% on the main riff. Hand feels like it's gonna fall off. Wrist clickin and shit. Is it worth it? 4 hours in, 60%?

I musta worked that riff for a while too. My dumbass didn't use the Internet to get the tab or instruction,so when it came out I just listened to it in the truck and pulled over a couple of times to figure it out. That's my favorite Holt riff from the last decade. "War is my Shepard" and "Scar spangled banner" are my two faves for sure. Once you get it down, it will be a warm up stable.

Every tab on the internet is wrong and all the youtube videos are wrong as well. Shit pisses me off. Amazing slow downer is what I use to figure this stuff out.

billsbigego":3szd4i7f said:
Every tab on the internet is wrong and all the youtube videos are wrong as well. Shit pisses me off. Amazing slow downer is what I use to figure this stuff out.

That shit drives me fucking nuts. Especially when the tabs are flat out terrible and wrong notes or wrong tunings and when they are unfinished.

Even the supposed reputable sites are all wrong. I mean am I the only one with an ear?

It's never been easier to slow down a tune and listen to notes.

I wish Gary did another DVD focusing more on his rhythm style. I could care less about shredding, but he's probably one of my top 3 rhythm players in the thrash / metal genre.

billsbigego":g28owknc said:
I wish Gary did another DVD focusing more on his rhythm style. I could care less about shredding, but he's probably one of my top 3 rhythm players in the thrash / metal genre.

So totally with you on this. He is my biggest influence for rhythm playing and writing. I love his cutting rhythm tone,too.

Yeah I've always wondered what in particular is about his tone and what, if any frequency he's boosting, or if it's just the amp? Assume it's some sort of Marshall.

rottingcorpse":n79jurua said:
billsbigego":n79jurua said:
I wish Gary did another DVD focusing more on his rhythm style. I could care less about shredding, but he's probably one of my top 3 rhyzthm players in the thrash / metal genre.

So totally with you on this. He is my biggest influence for rhythm playing and writing. I love his cutting rhythm tone,too.
Agreed. Gary is a beast. If you guys haven't already, check out Vogg from Decapitated. Another one of my favorites.

He's actually using his Kemper(Engl and Marshall profiles) with Exodus now and the DSL100H with Slayer. The amp used in the song you posted was a Peavey Triple XXX with EL34's.

In this record holt used his nodded Marshalls t75 speakers and a Jackson or esp with emg hz pickup...

Yeah dat passive emg crap...

blackie13":1vojyncu said:
In this record holt used his nodded Marshalls t75 speakers and a Jackson or esp with emg hz pickup...

Gary told me in a text that it was all Triple XXX in that album. Here is a interview that confirms that as well.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/intervi ... xodus.html
"I still own my 86/87 JCM 800s. After my kids and family, they are the most precious things in my life (laughter). I think they are the best sounding Marshalls to this day. I used a Peavey XXX head on the Tempo of the Damned' and Shovel Head Kill Machine' albums, but that was it. I then found what I've been using since. It's an Engl Savage 120."

shane159":k4n4p3cx said:
blackie13":k4n4p3cx said:

Gary told me in a text that it was all Triple XXX in that album. Here is a interview that confirms that as well.

"I still own my 86/87 JCM 800s. After my kids and family, they are the most precious things in my life (laughter). I think they are the best sounding Marshalls to this day. I used a Peavey XXX head on the Tempo of the Damned' and Shovel Head Kill Machine' albums, but that was it. I then found what I've been using since. It's an Engl Savage 120."

Andy Sneap says otherwise...

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/thre ... dy.237965/

blackie13":584jy4rr said:
shane159":584jy4rr said:
blackie13":584jy4rr said:

Andy Sneap says otherwise...

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/thre ... dy.237965/
Im not arguing, but Gary told me directly that is what he used for the record. If others were used I don't know, but I'm going of what he told me. I will text him to ask about the Marshall's, but I myself have seen video from that recording session, and he is playing through the Triple XXX. He even used it on the road, but he switched the Tubes to 6L6's for live shows.

Even Gary in videos goes back and forth with what he used in Tempo of the Damned. One video he says XXX Peavey, another video he says Savage. Who knows. But it's a killer tone.

Now this riff is kicking my ass fellas. Two days in and 70% and my wrist is killing me :no:

Driving me nuts.

Text Gary and tell him to make another DVD :rock:

Regardless of what he uses, he always has crushing tone, and his Riffs are always top notch. I agree, he needs to do another DVD, I'll bug him about it.

Like I said, he's in my top 3 metal guys. Been listening to them since the 80's
BRAIN DEAD :rock:

Tell him to get one of these for his wrist too, which I guess he injured.

http://www.flextend.com/

I need to start using mine again. I've been practicing a lot lately and my fretting hand is hurting.

It would be great if him and Lee would do a DVD together. Lee is a freakin beast also, and is one funny mofo.

So there was a Marshall mixed in there as well. :LOL: :LOL: I stand corrected.
viewtopic.php?t=10461
gary666":1j0egvoe said:
Hey, thanks for the welcome! Since I'm a gear junky like most of you, I'm stoked to have found this place!
Okay gear. Bonded by blood. Hiwatt with to Boss super overdrives, gains on 10, drives off. Sounds crazy, but it worked. Live back then I used two, but one was for a lead boost only through a Marshall.
Everything else until the latest was recorded with my Marshalls, but they weren't modded until before Impact.
Used to run a bunch of shit with them , BBE, Rane parametric eq, hush IICX. Tempo it was straight through, one cab, one sm57. Nothing else.
Before Shovel Headed Kill Machine, I tried them out but wasn't getting the results I wanted. Just had them re-tubed and they were sounding different. 20 year old amps you know! But I had been using the Peavey XXX for a while and it kills. Went straight in for the record. Live, a bunch of Home Brew stuff, Boss Octave pedal, and some other stuff from time to time.

Back