I hate Gary Holt

From the same thread you quoted below :

gary666":2h34jk40 said:
On Tempo just my modded Marshall JCM800 (EL34's), one cab, esp V, with passive EMG's. Everybody on Sneap's board can't figure out how those EMG's got that tone, but whatever works, works.

No Peavey on TOTD, its all Marshall.

shane159":2h34jk40 said:
So there was a Marshall mixed in there as well. :LOL: :LOL: I stand corrected.
viewtopic.php?t=10461
gary666":2h34jk40 said:
Hey, thanks for the welcome! Since I'm a gear junky like most of you, I'm stoked to have found this place!
Okay gear. Bonded by blood. Hiwatt with to Boss super overdrives, gains on 10, drives off. Sounds crazy, but it worked. Live back then I used two, but one was for a lead boost only through a Marshall.
Everything else until the latest was recorded with my Marshalls, but they weren't modded until before Impact.
Used to run a bunch of shit with them , BBE, Rane parametric eq, hush IICX. Tempo it was straight through, one cab, one sm57. Nothing else.
Before Shovel Headed Kill Machine, I tried them out but wasn't getting the results I wanted. Just had them re-tubed and they were sounding different. 20 year old amps you know! But I had been using the Peavey XXX for a while and it kills. Went straight in for the record. Live, a bunch of Home Brew stuff, Boss Octave pedal, and some other stuff from time to time.

thegame":2neudyr4 said:
From the same thread you quoted below :

gary666":2neudyr4 said:
On Tempo just my modded Marshall JCM800 (EL34's), one cab, esp V, with passive EMG's. Everybody on Sneap's board can't figure out how those EMG's got that tone, but whatever works, works.

No Peavey on TOTD, its all Marshall.

shane159":2neudyr4 said:
So there was a Marshall mixed in there as well. :LOL: :LOL: I stand corrected.
viewtopic.php?t=10461
gary666":2neudyr4 said:
Hey, thanks for the welcome! Since I'm a gear junky like most of you, I'm stoked to have found this place!
Okay gear. Bonded by blood. Hiwatt with to Boss super overdrives, gains on 10, drives off. Sounds crazy, but it worked. Live back then I used two, but one was for a lead boost only through a Marshall.
Everything else until the latest was recorded with my Marshalls, but they weren't modded until before Impact.
Used to run a bunch of shit with them , BBE, Rane parametric eq, hush IICX. Tempo it was straight through, one cab, one sm57. Nothing else.
Before Shovel Headed Kill Machine, I tried them out but wasn't getting the results I wanted. Just had them re-tubed and they were sounding different. 20 year old amps you know! But I had been using the Peavey XXX for a while and it kills. Went straight in for the record. Live, a bunch of Home Brew stuff, Boss Octave pedal, and some other stuff from time to time.
Yeah, I saw that. It's kind of all over the place. Maybe they just used the Marshall tracks. I don't want to bug him over it, but I am really curious now myself. That album has my favorite Exodus tones. This is quoted from Gary as well "I still own my 86/87 JCM 800s. I used a Peavey XXX head on the Tempo of the Damned' and Shovel Head Kill Machine' albums, but that was it. I then found what I've been using since. It's an Engl Savage 120." :confused:

Edit: The video footage footage I was speaking about is from Shovel Headed Kill Machine. Again, I stand corrected.

Beyond Black":2dqq2zr2 said:
rottingcorpse":2dqq2zr2 said:
billsbigego":2dqq2zr2 said:
I wish Gary did another DVD focusing more on his rhythm style. I could care less about shredding, but he's probably one of my top 3 rhyzthm players in the thrash / metal genre.

So totally with you on this. He is my biggest influence for rhythm playing and writing. I love his cutting rhythm tone,too.
Agreed. Gary is a beast. If you guys haven't already, check out Vogg from Decapitated. Another one of my favorites.

Vogg is a fucking monster!!! \m/

Oblivion DC":gzoz0gp3 said:
Beyond Black":gzoz0gp3 said:
rottingcorpse":gzoz0gp3 said:
billsbigego":gzoz0gp3 said:
I wish Gary did another DVD focusing more on his rhythm style. I could care less about shredding, but he's probably one of my top 3 rhyzthm players in the thrash / metal genre.

So totally with you on this. He is my biggest influence for rhythm playing and writing. I love his cutting rhythm tone,too.
Agreed. Gary is a beast. If you guys haven't already, check out Vogg from Decapitated. Another one of my favorites.

Vogg is a fucking monster!!! \m/
Totally. That fucker isn't human. I saw Decapitated the last couple times they came through Chicago and there are no words for their live performance. It has to be seen to be believed.... :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: ...... :worship: :worship: :worship:

I checked out some Decapitated. I'm not feeling it. Doesn't sound unique to me. Cookie monster, etc.....
What should I be listening to?

billsbigego":2vz6wzu3 said:
I checked out some Decapitated. I'm not feeling it. Doesn't sound unique to me. Cookie monster, etc.....
What should I be listening to?
Well, they're quite a bit heavier than Exodus. If you don't dig the vocals, ignore them and focus on the music. Check out Nihility, The Negation and Organic Hallucinosis. Their original drummer, Vitek (RIP), was on those albums and the musicianship on all parts is mind blowing. Their two albums after those are also great, but the Vitek albums pretty much set the bar for technical Death Metal at the time (and a select few other bands). If those don't sound unique and you don't feel it, it's probably not the kind of music for you. ;)

Well, I an get around the cookie monster vocals, if there's good riffs. I haven't listened enough to say it's not my thing. But I don't like speed picking for 4 minutes per song basically. I like stuff like Exodus as it's very riff oriented, vs the typical speed metal 300 bmp speed picking.

billsbigego":12rz9ie9 said:
Well, I an get around the cookie monster vocals, if there's good riffs. I haven't listened enough to say it's not my thing. But I don't like speed picking for 4 minutes per song basically. I like stuff like Exodus as it's very riff oriented, vs the typical speed metal 300 bmp speed picking.
There's a lot more going on than speed picking for four minutes per song. It's definitely not as catchy as Exodus. Much faster and more technical. Like I said, the musicianship is off the charts. If death metal's not your thing, you probably won't dig it. As Scarified said, check out Havok. Especially the album "Time is Up." Killer old school thrash.

Back