V30's vs K100's

^^^
Got ya. Cool.
Thinking this might be the next one to try.

I'm assuming since your 6505 is sitting idle the Lil Fokker must handle the heavy stuff pretty well then.

Vin Diezel":1ohe61vk said:
Fokker is discontinued. VH2 is the next thing.

Might have to PM you to ask some details about the Fokker; been really interested in these and I've seen em used.

MetalHeadMike":25rjv743 said:
RJF":25rjv743 said:
I much prefer the V30, and the Mesa version at that. I do have a couple Diezel cabs with the X pattern of 100's and V30's, but my experience has been that V30's handle low end much better than the K100. For one the magnet is bigger on a V30. But, my K100's may be hurt, IDK. I will say when I bought my first german made Diezel cab from a member here ( I won't list any names) the wiring was completely screwed up and the speakers were all out of phase. Even after I fixed the wiring, the 4 K100's farted out fairly easy with low tuning.

You sure you didn't mean it the other way around?

If your K100s are farting out before the V30s, or farting out at all period, man there's something wrong with em bro!

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here but aren't G12K-100 magnets way bigger than that of a Vintage 30 magnet?

I'm not confused one bit. When I got my first used German Diezel cab it came with 4 K100's. The PO had the wiring screwed up and they were out of phase. I fixed the wiring and got everything back in phase but they had trouble farting out at this point. I then pulled two of them out, pulled two V30's from another cab, and thought to myself how I could visually see the magnet section of the speaker larger on the V30 over the K100. Once I swapped in two V30's in combo with two existing K100's the low end fart out went away.

Obviously, my experience is different than others. I'm assuming running a speaker out of phase must do damage to them, as that is the only thing I can think of why mine had low end issues.

You can see in the pic that the V30 magnet is definitely not smaller than a K100.
hqdefault.jpg

MetalHeadMike":1qd6nvfj said:
By inaudible, you mean quiet?
inaudible: in·au·di·ble, /ˌinˈôdəb(ə)l/, adjective, in·au·di·ble, in-aw-duh-buh, unable to be heard.

Ex: "Jinny explains that (the love is all drowned in [ inaudible ]).”

I'm actually thinking about making a big speaker change in my Diezel cabs. I don't like the chinese V30's all that much. I'm thinking I'm going to dump them, along with the K100's and go all old Mesa V30's in one cab, and I'm thinking about tying WGS Retro 30's in my 2nd cab. Not sure in my third.

I currently have:
X pattern of K100's/Mesa V30's in cab 1
X pattern of K100's/Chinese V30's in cab 2
All Chinese V30's in cab 3.

Which sounds the best? Most of my amps seem to like the K100/Mesa V30 cab the best, except for my VH4. I don't think it meshes with K100's at all and likes all V30's.

RJF":20twvo7u said:
MetalHeadMike":20twvo7u said:
RJF":20twvo7u said:
I much prefer the V30, and the Mesa version at that. I do have a couple Diezel cabs with the X pattern of 100's and V30's, but my experience has been that V30's handle low end much better than the K100. For one the magnet is bigger on a V30. But, my K100's may be hurt, IDK. I will say when I bought my first german made Diezel cab from a member here ( I won't list any names) the wiring was completely screwed up and the speakers were all out of phase. Even after I fixed the wiring, the 4 K100's farted out fairly easy with low tuning.

You sure you didn't mean it the other way around?

If your K100s are farting out before the V30s, or farting out at all period, man there's something wrong with em bro!

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here but aren't G12K-100 magnets way bigger than that of a Vintage 30 magnet?

I'm not confused one bit. When I got my first used German Diezel cab it came with 4 K100's. The PO had the wiring screwed up and they were out of phase. I fixed the wiring and got everything back in phase but they had trouble farting out at this point. I then pulled two of them out, pulled two V30's from another cab, and thought to myself how I could visually see the magnet section of the speaker larger on the V30 over the K100. Once I swapped in two V30's in combo with two existing K100's the low end fart out went away.

Obviously, my experience is different than others. I'm assuming running a speaker out of phase must do damage to them, as that is the only thing I can think of why mine had low end issues.

You can see in the pic that the V30 magnet is definitely not smaller than a K100.
hqdefault.jpg

I stand corrected regarding magnet size aren't I the lazy fucker who didn't just go to the Celestion website :LOL: :LOL: Diameter and magnet weight are identical. However, I will hold my position on there being something wrong with the K100s if they were farting out on ya.

From the Celestion site:

Vintage 30
General Specifications
Nominal diameter12", 305mm
Power rating60Wrms
Nominal impedanceAvailable 8Ω or 16Ω
Sensitivity100dB
Chassis typePressed steel
Voice coil diameter1.75", 44.5mm
Voice coil materialRound copper
Magnet typeCeramic
Magnet weight50oz, 1.42kg
Frequency range70-5000Hz
Resonance frequency, Fs75Hz
DC resistance, ReAvailable 7.3Ω or 12.9Ω

G12K-100
Nominal diameter12", 305mm
Power rating100Wrms
Nominal impedance8Ω
Sensitivity99dB
Chassis typePressed steel
Voice coil diameter1.75", 44.5mm
Voice coil materialRound copper
Magnet typeCeramic
Magnet weight50oz, 1.42kg
Frequency range80-5500Hz
Resonance frequency, Fs85Hz
DC resistance, Re7Ω

Scuba.Duba":2l3t2wnu said:
MetalHeadMike":2l3t2wnu said:
By inaudible, you mean quiet?
inaudible: in·au·di·ble, /ˌinˈôdəb(ə)l/, adjective, in·au·di·ble, in-aw-duh-buh, unable to be heard.

Ex: "Jinny explains that (the love is all drowned in [ inaudible ]).”

Awe you so funny :gethim:

RJF":1fjiv25w said:
I'm actually thinking about making a big speaker change in my Diezel cabs. I don't like the chinese V30's all that much. I'm thinking I'm going to dump them, along with the K100's and go all old Mesa V30's in one cab, and I'm thinking about tying WGS Retro 30's in my 2nd cab. Not sure in my third.

I currently have:

Which sounds the best? Most of my amps seem to like the K100/Mesa V30 cab the best, except for my VH4. I don't think it meshes with K100's at all and likes all V30's.

I don't think it's a good a idea to mix speakers. Tried it for some time. V30s and K100s move differently, which will cause phase issues when playing loud.
If you dial in the amp so that one speaker sounds good, the other one does not because the mids are so different.
I'd use the same speakers in one cab.

PS: The reason for the flubbiness of v30s if pushed hard is the thinness of the paper.

You might try Eminence cv 75.

RJF":3181i5zs said:

I currently have:

I have 0 experience with the k100's
But lots with v30s

Mesa's version is also my favorite, they seem to have a more modern voice.

If you do the swap let us know, I've wondered about putting mesa's v30 my standard v30 FL412.

I'm not for mixing speakers in the same closed cab, seems to lessen the punch and impact. IMO.

The K100s are bomber.

If you're doing most of your playing live and have done so with V30s, you're going to notice a difference for sure in the cut, as mentioned above. But if you want a full, rich, "this is my amp 100% of the way" tone without as little sonic meddling as possible? The G12K will kick ass. They are incredible cones, men.

Hi guys! New to the forum! About two years ago I got hyped with the K100s so I put them in my 2x12 engl cab. I always compare speakers in two instances...live and recording. When playing live, I think the K100s sounded fuller than the V30, but lacking that low mid punch the V30s deliver (to my ears). Recordingwise they are very different to my ears. I had to change the mic placement a lot in order to get good-decent results with the K100s. I also think that the K100s probably don't like the sm57 very much :)
Bottom line, I think they are both great speakers, but quite different soundwise. I'd say that the K100s are an "acquired" taste, then again good tone is subjective. I'm not dissapointed by them by any means though.

I've been through a few G12-K85's (the K100's older brother, but essentially the same thing).

I've noticed that there are versions without a ribbed cone. These sound noticeable smoother/darker/duller than the ribbed ones.
I have a great 16 Ohm one (ribbed), but at the time I didn't found out about these differences. I've mixed this with a V30 in a 2x12 cab=nice full and tight tone.
Then I was trying to get a few 8 Ohm versions and I found they lacked the awesomeness of the 16 ohm one. After closer inspection, I noticed the cones were different=ribbed vs non-ribbed.

Then I got another 8 ohm, looking out specifically to have a ribbed cone again and this one sounds awesome again. I quickly sold the non-ribbed ones to a jazz player and a young guy on a shoestring budget.

I'm still planning to acquire a 2nd 8 ohm version and do an X-pattern in my Engl 4x12" Pro with the V30's...

@EZNick, have you tried a mix in your Engl 2x12 cab? How's your D-Moll with that cab by the way?

Speeddemon":vfzcjntu said:
I've been through a few G12-K85's (the K100's older brother, but essentially the same thing).

I've noticed that there are versions without a ribbed cone. These sound noticeable smoother/darker/duller than the ribbed ones.
I have a great 16 Ohm one (ribbed), but at the time I didn't found out about these differences. I've mixed this with a V30 in a 2x12 cab=nice full and tight tone.
Then I was trying to get a few 8 Ohm versions and I found they lacked the awesomeness of the 16 ohm one. After closer inspection, I noticed the cones were different=ribbed vs non-ribbed.

Then I got another 8 ohm, looking out specifically to have a ribbed cone again and this one sounds awesome again. I quickly sold the non-ribbed ones to a jazz player and a young guy on a shoestring budget.

I'm still planning to acquire a 2nd 8 ohm version and do an X-pattern in my Engl 4x12" Pro with the V30's...

@EZNick, have you tried a mix in your Engl 2x12 cab? How's your D-Moll with that cab by the way?

4 month bump lol!

I haven't tried mixing them mostly because the V30s I have are 16ohm and the K100s are 8ohm. If I ever get my hands on an 8ohm V30 I'll definitely try mixing them.

I've played with the D-moll through various cabs:

Mesa 2x12 (black shadow V30s)
Randall 4x12 (celestion 70/80)
Harley Benton 2x12 (V30s)
Framus cobra 2x12 (V30s)
Engl 2x12 - my current cab

Recordingwise, the d-moll sounds great through all.

Rehearsal wise, the Engl is the best. It delivers the necessary punch - crunch to cut through the rest.

I just posted a clip too, check it out viewtopic.php?f=14&t=187121

My Diezel cab came with Eminence D12V8's man are they dark sounding. Probably good for an amp lacking low mid but Peavey's don't lack that so they had to gtfo. 2 have been replaced with WGS Reaper 30's and either their Retro 30's, Creamback H or V30's. Not a fan of a lot of 400k low mid...

Back