Question about Studio

TTerror

So, pretty happy with my Live setup but...never ending GAS disease is starting to get me again, have my eyes on the Studio and a question.

I know it does stereo, but are the signals delayed ever slightly so to appear as two guitars are playing. If you know what I mean, not just same guitar from 2 mics but I would like to have slight delay on one side so to have true stereo effects of 2 guitars playing, like on recordings? Maybe add compressor just on one side to slightly offset it and make it virtual second guitar?

Perhaps it is already like that, but I cannot find exact information regarding this.

The Studio does have the variphi parameter but I think you are looking for a doubler effect.

What I'd recommend is using something like a TC Mimic or the Keeley equivalent in your amp's effect loop. The Studio is then used in Dual mono configuration with the Amp output going into the loadbox input. The micro delayed signal from the pedal above then goes to the line input and you apply the power amp sim to calibrate a good match. You need to set the delay pedal so that the return to the amp is dry and the effect only out is routed to the Studio 's line input. Finally, as you are multi cabled between the amp and Studio, you may need to assure you haven't created a ground loop.

It's a bit of work but this would sound HUGE!

Before buying a doubler pedal, I would try playing with the reverb and the comp. You can assign a different reverb on the channels and just setting up the comp on one of the channel can help widening the scene.

It's not as drastic as a short delay, but a short delay also has its caveats , the stereo image tends to move depending on the note's frequency.

Plus short delays often have problems with mono-compatibility if that's an issue in this case.

guillaume_pille":2n546sib said:
Before buying a doubler pedal, I would try playing with the reverb and the comp. You can assign a different reverb on the channels and just setting up the comp on one of the channel can help widening the scene.

It's not as drastic as a short delay, but a short delay also has its caveats , the stereo image tends to move depending on the note's frequency.

Well, I did not had a clue about TC Mimiq pedal, already ordered it from Amazon. :D

OK the idea is I will insert Torpedo Live Line out to TC and have stereo out on my monitors, this should give some serious widening. Lets see if this will put me off buying studio...probably not. :)

But even with studio it could go to stereo inputs of TC and just do its magic to have wider double tracked stereo sound in the PA.

Guillaume did answer my question though, if one can setup different comp and reverbs for Studio then widening is possible without additional gear.

I've been using a Torpedo live for about 3.5 years. I recently upgraded to a Torpedo Studio (thanks Andy!). I use two different two notes cab IRs and pan them hard left and right when playing live, monitoring through my studio at home or recording. What I get is a much fuller and wider sound. This was exactly what I was looking for. I like being able to combine the IRs for a really nice tone! I find the overall load on the Studio to be much clearer than what I had on the Live.

I have my TC Mimiq inbound tomorrow, will post how it works, it is sort of a poor mans studio attempt. :D

Knowing myself I will probably end up with Studio sooner or later.

OK, tried the TC Mimiq last night, what a crazy pedal it is!

Got line out from Torpedo in to the pedal, and stereo outs to monitors, fiddled a bit with volumes and voila! Double tracked sound it is! Had to turn down reverb on Live completely as it messed up sound a bit but otherwise I had amazing fun playing with wall of guitars, first time ever in my guitar career.

With backing tracks it just blends in perfectly, need to set up DAW to record samples, but all in all this thing rocks, for having fun at home or playing live as single player in band...amazing.

This is my first time in this forum, so I don't know if I'm doing this correctly.

I saw your post about you've got a mimiq and run it after the torpedo live. I just purchased the torpedo live, is still on its way, but I want to buy a mimiq too, take the torpedo live out into the mono input of the mimiq, and then go stereo from the mimiq ti my audio interface ( a scarlett 2i2) I want to do some home recording, and saving time avoiding recording two guitar tracks separately. But I don't know if the mimiq works well. The quality of the torpedo sound will be affected (loss quality)? it is better to connect the torpedo live directly in the audio interface and record two track? Thanks!

-Noah

TTerror":324zh2ly said:

Got line out from Torpedo in to the pedal, and stereo outs to monitors, fiddled a bit with volumes and voila! Double tracked sound it is! Had to turn down reverb on Live completely as it messed up sound a bit but otherwise I had amazing fun playing with wall of guitars, first time ever in my guitar career.

With backing tracks it just blends in perfectly, need to set up DAW to record samples, but all in all this thing rocks, for having fun at home or playing live as single player in band...amazing.

NoahMR":20occof8 said:
This is my first time in this forum, so I don't know if I'm doing this correctly.

I saw your post about you've got a mimiq and run it after the torpedo live. I just purchased the torpedo live, is still on its way, but I want to buy a mimiq too, take the torpedo live out into the mono input of the mimiq, and then go stereo from the mimiq ti my audio interface ( a scarlett 2i2) I want to do some home recording, and saving time avoiding recording two guitar tracks separately. But I don't know if the mimiq works well. The quality of the torpedo sound will be affected (loss quality)? it is better to connect the torpedo live directly in the audio interface and record two track? Thanks!

-Noah

TTerror":20occof8 said:

I'd say Mimiq is good for fun here and there, any serious recording needs separate tracks. Nothing wrong with the sound quality but it's just not the real thing.

You want to control each track, have them panned in position you like, maybe change sound for one of them etc etc...

Back