Line Out Levels on Torpedo Live

TTerror

First a disclaimer...I am a noob when it comes to recording or mixing. :D

So, I have the shiny new MOTU 828es interface-mixer and I send line outs from my 2 Torpedo Live units at 0dB to MOTU inputs. However on the MOTU the levels show up as -12dB, and I am not doing any trims or pading at all.

Is this normal or am I missing something here? I know that I should send -6dB from Live but then signal is really low on the MOTU...or is this the way it is and I have to boost it in the mixer?

Hello,

"dB" is not an absolute unit, it's relative, so you can't compare the output of a device and the input of another in dB. If you want an absolute unit, look for dBu. This is indicated in the user manual of the Live : http://wiki.two-notes.com/doku.php?id=t ... nical_data

Plus, do you mean:
- you set the Output Level parameter of the Live at 0dB, or
- the signal goes to 0dB on the output bargraph, in the Remote software ?

There is a huge difference between the two. The first one is a gain setting (0dB means the signal is unaffected), the second one is a level indicator (the signal is at 0dB. Actually, 0dBFS).

You have several ways of boosting the signal. The general idea would be to go out of the Live as loud as possible (but without clipping, the -6dB headroom you are talking about is a good starting point, but you could have more), and set the input sensitivity (input level) of the MOTU so this gives you a comfortable level in the DAW. If you have level settings, pads, sensitivity switch, you could try them.

But in any case, having an input signal at -12dB is actually perfectly ok :)

Hey, thanks for the reply.

The 0dB I talk about is the live out setting...but I haven't checked the output meter in the Remote though. Anyways, as I mentioned total noob here so was just wondering if there is something wrong with my signal levels...but it seems all good then. :)

Yes you're fine. 0dB on the output of the Live is fine. Next you would adjust the input gain on you MOTU. However anywhere between -18dB to -12dB will be good for MOTU input.

If you are a new to all of this, I highly recommend you spend a few hours researching and learning online. Concepts like dBs, gain staging, adjusting input gain, 0dB, dBv, dBu, balanced connectcions, unbalanced connections, etc etc is not something which can be taught in a short little post here. Trust me, the time you spend looking this stuff up and learning it will be worth it.

I spent a long time learning and learning online about all of this stuff. It made something like the Torpedo Live a breeze to use. In fact I told the guys at Two Notes I was very impressed with the quality of the Live as output was balanced Line Level.

Back