Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Mon, Oct 15, 2018 5:27pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 02, 2018 8:35am 
Apprentice NOOB

Are you human?: 951
Hey guys,

I currently have the JJ KT77's in my VH4 and I love the sound. However, they sound a little dark and I just wanted to get a pair of EL34's to see if I like the voicing better. I was curious if anyone had experiences with the EL34 BHT in the VH4. I know they have less low end, but is it that much lower?

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 03, 2018 5:21am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

The EL34 BHT sound smoother and more hi-fi compared to the JJ KT77. Yes, they give you the feeling of more high-end but sacrifice resolution in the mid-range in my opinion. They are also more compressed.

I would suggest to try the Gold Lion KT77. They offer more high-end/less low-mids. Personally, I still prefere the JJ KT77 but you will probably like the Gold Lions.

Of course it's always a matter of taste ;)

"A universe not without end but with an infinite number of endings."

PostPosted: Thu, Jan 04, 2018 11:37pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I've never tried the BHT version of the EL34, but I've never heard another EL34 type tube that was brighter than a JJ KT77, or less compressed in the mids.
I see in your other thread where you are having what sounds like tube issues, and I'm wondering if the KT77's in your amp are toast if they sound dark.
My suggestion would be to get a new and tested quad of the JJKT77's, bias them properly, and then make a decision on whether you think they are the correct tube for your VH4.
Peter Diezel thinks the JJ KT77's bring out the best in his amp, and I would tend to agree. I rolled a bunch of stuff in my VH4, and the stock KT77's were the best sounding to me.

EVH 5150III 100watt
Friedman BE100
Marshall 1987xl (with V2a 80's mod board)
Peavey 5150 block letter
Peters Vega-FSM
Soldano SLO 100
Vox AC30HW
Wizard MCII

A couple Les Pauls, an SG etc...

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 05, 2018 7:33am 
Apprentice NOOB

fusedbrain wrote:
I've never tried the BHT version of the EL34, but I've never heard another EL34 type tube that was brighter than a JJ KT77, or less compressed in the mids.
I see in your other thread where you are having what sounds like tube issues, and I'm wondering if the KT77's in your amp are toast if they sound dark.
My suggestion would be to get a new and tested quad of the JJKT77's, bias them properly, and then make a decision on whether you think they are the correct tube for your VH4.
Peter Diezel thinks the JJ KT77's bring out the best in his amp, and I would tend to agree. I rolled a bunch of stuff in my VH4, and the stock KT77's were the best sounding to me.

Thank you very much. That does indeed sound like the most logical thing to do!

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 05, 2018 3:16pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Weirldy, I just bought a VH4 and it came with Ruby EL34BHT's. Here is a clip I just recorded across all four channels:
https://soundcloud.com/sloppiestholes/vh4-all-channels

PostPosted: Fri, Jan 05, 2018 3:23pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Amberience wrote:
Weirldy, I just bought a VH4 and it came with Ruby EL34BHT's. Here is a clip I just recorded across all four channels:
https://soundcloud.com/sloppiestholes/vh4-all-channels

Awesome, you came just in time!

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 15, 2018 1:24am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I’ve used the EL34BHT through a few rounds of tube changes in the VH4 and like them. I get them directly from Magic Parts in the US.

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 17, 2018 1:23pm 
Hack

Anyone else has experience with 6L6 tubes in a VH4? I bought a second hand VH4 with 6L6 tubes and i really don't like the sound. (Einstein is my main amp).

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 21, 2018 11:43pm 
Immortal Rock God

EL34s are my preference.

Another trick - buy an MXR 108S/1018S (depends who sells it - but it's the 10 band SILVER model with the blue LEDs that are blindingly bright) and shove it in the loop. It'll tweak your amp beyond belief - and it won't require bottle changes.

I don't like 6L6 tubes in amps, but that's just me.
Unkle Mo :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 21, 2018 11:45pm 
Immortal Rock God

guitarobert wrote:
I’ve used the EL34BHT through a few rounds of tube changes in the VH4 and like them. I get them directly from Magic Parts in the US.

Valve Queen (Laura) is awesome and a local member here on RT.
Second up, talk to Jon at www.thetubestore.com and you'll get great service and pricing.

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 22, 2018 7:34am 
Journeyman NOOB

Ventura wrote:
EL34s are my preference.

Another trick - buy an MXR 108S/1018S (depends who sells it - but it's the 10 band SILVER model with the blue LEDs that are blindingly bright) and shove it in the loop. It'll tweak your amp beyond belief - and it won't require bottle changes.

So just as an update: I got a fresh quad of JJ KT77's and JJ EL34 II's (Shout out to Eddy for the stellar customer service) both matched to each other, so it's a matter of just swapping.

With the EL34 II's, I definitely like the direction the EL34's are going. I noticed the lows were actually pretty nice, but then again, this is an EL34 with more lows. However, I found the tone to be too fizzy. The thing is, I find the tone to be too fizzy with my KT77's too, but it's more fat and warm, more on the low mids. With all of that being said, the JJ EL34 II makes channel 3 sound beautiful, but I can't get over the KT77's brighter high end.

I might opt to try a ruby EL34BHT or BSTR as well. I like a brighter high end, nothing rounded.

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 22, 2018 7:12pm 
Immortal Rock God

Omega1397 wrote:
Ventura wrote:
EL34s are my preference.

So just as an update: I got a fresh quad of JJ KT77's and JJ EL34 II's (Shout out to Eddy for the stellar customer service) both matched to each other, so it's a matter of just swapping.

With the EL34 II's, I definitely like the direction the EL34's are going. I noticed the lows were actually pretty nice, but then again, this is an EL34 with more lows. However, I found the tone to be too fizzy. The thing is, I find the tone to be too fizzy with my KT77's too, but it's more fat and warm, more on the low mids. With all of that being said, the JJ EL34 II makes channel 3 sound beautiful, but I can't get over the KT77's brighter high end.

I might opt to try a ruby EL34BHT or BSTR as well. I like a brighter high end, nothing rounded.

And what lineup of preamp glass are you using?

A properly located 5751 can remove any fizz if *that* is what your ears are hearing ;)

peace

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 22, 2018 7:36pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Ventura wrote:
Omega1397 wrote:
Ventura wrote:
EL34s are my preference.

And what lineup of preamp glass are you using?

A properly located 5751 can remove any fizz if *that* is what your ears are hearing ;)

peace

I have the Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+ 678 in V1 V2, and i'm still waiting on my shipment of the rest of the AC5's for the rest. In the meantime, I have TAD 12AX7's in V3-V7