Can't change guitar sound in WoS plugin

Rasawr

Hello everyone,

I have a question.
A while back I bought a Two Notes Torpedo Captor to do silent guitar recording. Today I decided to hook it up and see if I could record a decent guitar sound, using the Wall Of Sound plugin, but I ran into a problem.
No matter what I do to the settings in the plugin, it doesn't seem to do anything to the sound. The sound is the same as if I'd use an amp sim without an impulse response (well, maybe slightly better, but still...).

I run my guitar into my ENGL Powerball amp, to the Torpedo Captor, and then from the Line out of the Captor to my audio interface and then into my DAW, which is Reaper. I have a guitar track set up to record, the meter is moving when I play and I hear sound. But that's it. It doesn't even matter if I turn the WOS plugin on or off, nothing happens to the sound.

Does anybody have an idea what I could be doing wrong here? I also tried the DI output of the Captor, but that gives the same result.

Rasawr are you sure you monitor the OUTPUT of your track or rather the input signal (before the plugin)? You need to activate the direct monitoring in your DAW. I don't know your level of expertise, so sorry if it's a silly question and you already took care of that.

Thanks for the replies.

I see the meter moving in both Reaper itself and in the Wall Of Sound plugin. I generally keep monitoring on all my tracks in Reaper activated. When I disable monitoring I only have a moving meter in Reaper and not in the plugin.
I don't have any preset loaded in Wall Of Sound, presets don't show up in the dropdown menu in WoS. I only picked a cabinet and a microphone.

You can set the path to your presets in the menu.

More importantly - what happens if you set it to something really ridiculous. Turn on the power amp, and set the speaker distortion, move the mics far away from the cab etc.

Still don't hear anything?
(Just checking if it's actually working - but set too "subtle")

I already tried stuff like the power amp and speaker distortion and it's not doing anything. It's like the plugin is not even working.

Normally, if I set up a track correctly for receiving signal from my audio interface and record, all I should have to do is insert the WoS plugin and it should be working, right?

I'll try the preset thing this afternoon, when I get back from work.

Also, in reply to another question, I'm a bedroom producer, so not a seasoned pro or anything. I started dabbling in this recording stuff last year, when I decided I wanted to be able to make my own demos of my music.

Well - we know it *should* be working, right?
How about if you stick a chorus or something else (another plugin) before WOS - and see if *that* works.

Then at least you'll know if theres something funny in Reaper - or if it's actually the WOS plugin.

I've never heard of a plugin doing *nothing* - unless it's in bypass (does WOS have a bypass button?)

hth

I will try that, and I think I will also try to use an amp sim with Wall Of Sound instead of my real amp. I'll let you know what happens later today.

Ok, I tried it with an amp sim and the WoS plugin worked. So the problem definitely wasn't the plugin.

But then something weird happened. I thought, "well, it's probably not gonna do anything but, let's try the real amp again".

And lo and behold, this time it DID work. I have no clue if I did something different or that my computer was just bugging out, but I could suddenly make changes and the sound changed. And the sound was rich and full this time, like with a real speaker cab. I'm terribly sorry if this turned out to be a waste of time for you guys, since the problem seems to have solved itself.

Oh well, it's a computer, after all! ;-)

I'm glad it's working after all. I love WOS after an amp sim (Mercuriall ReAxis is the flavour of the month right now) ;-)

The Mercurial stuff is great. I used Mercuriall Cab with LePou amp sims before I got the Captor. That sound was already great, but now that I've heard my real amp recorded; wow, it sounds so much fuller.

Back