Just bought a Shiva 20th!

DragonCrestPC

I've wanted one for a while so i decided to grab one for myself. Any recommendations for tubes? Thinking of trying 6550's in it ( own a few KT88 amps already, thought it might be a nice change ) The amp wont arrive till next week so i've got time to get the tubes in to test!

Cool amps, I really liked the kt88s. That being said my fav shiva I've had was a greenback 6l6 model with reverb. Vast difference between it and the 20th though. I'd stick with the kt88 in the 20th, great tones on both channels.

Welcome to the club! Great amp! I have the KT88 Version. I always wanted a Bogner, especially the Shiva 20th thanks to the tone of Raphael Moriera and Justin Derrico. Got it basically brand new on an even trade for my Musicman JP6 about 2 years ago. Shockingly, its been my weekly live amp ever since. I have an SLO, EVH, early JCM 800, and a DSL 100 that were all getting regular rotation. I did the trade thinking that I was likely going to flip it (I had trouble selling the JP6) as I was quite happy with what I had. Well, to this day all my other amps just get played once in a while at home. What really sold me is it’s versatility. I can do everything from jazz, to country, to metal. Cleans are amazing. I think it sits in the live mix better than any other Bogner I’ve heard also. Something you can’t appreciate by demo’ing it at home or in a store.

I follow this Spanish dude from the Bogner page. He plays large venues for some very popular Latin artist. He primarily played a Shiva 20th for a while but recently switched to an XTC. He loves it and says he prefers it to his Shiva but I think his tone is not quite as good. He posts often and now his tone is just missing that faint but noticable Shiva character.

A great live tone is the dirty channel boosted (pedal) without the mode or mid switch engaged. I use an EP Booster for this. Cuts like a knife.

After just going on a bit of an amp buying craze with a Diezel Hagen and a Wizard MC2, I have to say the 20th Shiva is my favorite all around amp. It has a great clean and dirty channel! I have yet to find its match. The Wizard may have my favorite dirty channel but its clean does not compare.

I just got one from GC Used. I do like the clean and the OD is good but I need to experiment more.

As a side note, the JJ KT88s have thick glass because GC just threw it in a box with bubble wrap. Both power tubes had come out of their sockets and were just rattling around in there. Plugged em in and it works fine.

Mean-ass snarling amp!!!!! CONGRATZ!!!!!!!!

KT88s or a couple higher grade 6550s, and a nice high-quality V1 and PI bottle and you're good to go. The stock JJ 88s I got were mis-matched pretty badly, like 14mA difference :doh: I slapped a new set of 88s in there, as well as tried the 6550s, I liked both.

I think the 88s are still in there, Genalex ECC83 V1, LPS PI, and Svetlana 12AX7 in all other slots.

Peace
Mo

I know you can get some nice modern high gain tones, but can you also get more traditional 80’s metal tones?

Econ":na1gjhvh said:
I know you can get some nice modern high gain tones, but can you also get more traditional 80’s metal tones?
Oh, yea, that's the beauty of the Shiva 20th. The lower gain tones are pure 80s classic rock and metal, and the 20th version highest gain settings push it into more modern metal tones.

squank":1b12dox4 said:
Econ":1b12dox4 said:
Oh, yea, that's the beauty of the Shiva 20th. The lower gain tones are pure 80s classic rock and metal, and the 20th version highest gain settings push it into more modern metal tones.
100%

It's not often mentioned as a modern metal amp, but it'll go there - but bear in mind - it doesn't offer the "full Madison Square Bedroom" spectrum of bottom end too. It's a players amp - meaning - it'll cut and it's bloody searing hot...but when it goes there it's also presuming you've got your low end covered with a bassist or soft-synth plug-ins as a home studio recording cat.

Love it. Brilliant amp.

Ventura":1qv454ua said:
squank":1qv454ua said:
Econ":1qv454ua said:
100%

It's not often mentioned as a modern metal amp, but it'll go there - but bear in mind - it doesn't offer the "full Madison Square Bedroom" spectrum of bottom end too. It's a players amp - meaning - it'll cut and it's bloody searing hot...but when it goes there it's also presuming you've got your low end covered with a bassist or soft-synth plug-ins as a home studio recording cat.

Love it. Brilliant amp.
Well said.

Instead of starting a new Shiva Love thread, I just looked at existing and think this one'll work for what I have to say: don't often get a chance to MSG crank at home; however, today I had the chance and have recently moved my 20th Shiva KT88 onto my two Splawn Streetrod 1x12 cabs (V-Type and V30) where it simply looks fantastic. Cranked it today and dod gammit this amp remains fantastic!

Being able to crank it, I was able to pull the gain back to straight up (perpendicular to the floor, not 10 o'clock straight up) and everything my LP and I played through it was simply glorious. Still in love.

What speakers are everyone running? I have an open back 2x12 cab that I was thinking of putting 2 V30s in or a V30 and a V Type mix. Any suggestions?

At the moment, my favorite is either a Bogner OS 2x12 or a Marshall 4x12, both with M65 Creambacks. A close runner up is an Uberkab with V30s & T75s in an X pattern. Had good luck with Mesa 4x12s with V30s, too. If I was using it for lower/mid gain, I'd probably pick a Marshall 4x12 with G12 Heritage GB. Honestly, it's been pretty great through everything I've tried it with so far. One hell of an amp that's just full of surprises! So many tones inside... :)

joafink2":2dcc97pr said:
What speakers are everyone running? I have an open back 2x12 cab that I was thinking of putting 2 V30s in or a V30 and a V Type mix. Any suggestions?

Currently running mine thru a Bogner OS212 with a vintage 20 and creamback 65. Sounds killer!! :rock:

ChurchHill":fjeh0csl said:
At the moment, my favorite is either a Bogner OS 2x12 or a Marshall 4x12, both with M65 Creambacks. A close runner up is an Uberkab with V30s & T75s in an X pattern. Had good luck with Mesa 4x12s with V30s, too. If I was using it for lower/mid gain, I'd probably pick a Marshall 4x12 with G12 Heritage GB. Honestly, it's been pretty great through everything I've tried it with so far. One hell of an amp that's just full of surprises! So many tones inside... :)

Rock indeed this amp did through a Heritage GB loaded 412 ;) The 20th Anny Shiva I had was actually the very amp from the OP of this thread :LOL: :LOL: No longer have it, but it kicked all kinds of ass through that GB 412 and through a Whitebox G12-K100 loaded 2x12 and through both cabs at the same time :rock:

Back