Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Oct 17, 2018 10:08am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 15, 2018 8:38am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Are you human?: 951
Has anyone tried a pedal that comes close to sounding like a wizard?

Samick Les Paul Custom Artist Seris - di marzio tone zone

Box of doom isolation cab
Cubase UR 22 sound interface
Zoom MS-50G multistomp
Rane PE 15 parametric eq rack
:rock: :rock: :rock:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ios4ever

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 20, 2018 5:40pm 
Apprentice NOOB

I'm not sure that's possible. Into a cranked Hiwatt - maybe a pedal could get you halfway there but I doubt it.

sotosprince wrote:

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 21, 2018 3:51pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

DRC wrote:
I'm not sure that's possible. Into a cranked Hiwatt - maybe a pedal could get you halfway there but I doubt it.

sotosprince wrote:

Hmm I'll try that! Thx! I'm in Athens Greece and it would be really to have a head shipped here! Im more than happy with my mark 3 blue stripe for the time being but i gotta try a wizard!!

Zoom MS-50G multistomp

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 22, 2018 2:17pm 
Apprentice NOOB

They are really expensive. I will say it had the tightest bottom end of any amp I have ever played. Not a lot of gain was needed to make it sound heavy but there is more than enough available. I had an earlier model (closer to the Hetfield era MC1 than the newer MC2). If you do ever buy one you will need a place to play it because it is the loudest amp I have ever used. I think that percussive bottom end is the thing you'll never be able to get out of a pedal unless the amp you are using has a similar power section (hence the Hiwatt suggestion).

I've played plenty of Boogies. None of them sounded like the Wizard. The saturation was different. I'd say my Triaxis/2:90 rig was easier to play than my Wizard was. The sculpting of the gain seemed easier with the triaxis (or the early recto I played). It made those palm muted upstrokes much easier to play, but string to string definition with more complex chords or muted downstrokes - the Wizard was ridiculous. It's great for rock and metal. You can really clean it up for that Malcolm Young type thing and go right into Sad But True with one small increase in preamp gain.

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 23, 2018 5:37am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

DRC wrote:
They are really expensive. I will say it had the tightest bottom end of any amp I have ever played. Not a lot of gain was needed to make it sound heavy but there is more than enough available. I had an earlier model (closer to the Hetfield era MC1 than the newer MC2). If you do ever buy one you will need a place to play it because it is the loudest amp I have ever used. I think that percussive bottom end is the thing you'll never be able to get out of a pedal unless the amp you are using has a similar power section (hence the Hiwatt suggestion).

I've played plenty of Boogies. None of them sounded like the Wizard. The saturation was different. I'd say my Triaxis/2:90 rig was easier to play than my Wizard was. The sculpting of the gain seemed easier with the triaxis (or the early recto I played). It made those palm muted upstrokes much easier to play, but string to string definition with more complex chords or muted downstrokes - the Wizard was ridiculous. It's great for rock and metal. You can really clean it up for that Malcolm Young type thing and go right into Sad But True with one small increase in preamp gain.

:rock: :rock: :rock: now :doh: :doh: :doh:

Zoom MS-50G multistomp

PostPosted: Tue, Apr 24, 2018 12:15pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Yeah. Shipping one to Greece would probably be pretty expensive.

PostPosted: Sun, May 06, 2018 11:51am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I just spent the last year evaluating pedals in front of a clean power section. Something was missing. Needed small platform, just bought a MC25 combo. Good luck with using pedals. If you want to try starting looking at the Menatone stuff, Menawatt or "The King"; good, however, still not even close.

PostPosted: Mon, May 07, 2018 1:51am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Although I love my boogie mark III, I ve been thinking of selling it locally here in Greece and have the mc25 watts version shipped. I'm sure it would cost me a fortune though! How much do the used versions of this amp go for?

Zoom MS-50G multistomp

PostPosted: Mon, May 07, 2018 11:41am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

sotosprince wrote:
Although I love my boogie mark III, I ve been thinking of selling it locally here in Greece and have the mc25 watts version shipped. I'm sure it would cost me a fortune though! How much do the used versions of this amp go for?

The one you want is the MTL. This will do all the Tallica tonez you desire. :yes: :yes: :yes:

Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), braintheory (S: Engl SE EL34), ChurchHill (S: Gibson Historic Custom BBR7), RKnight (S: Mesa Mark IV), and many more.

PostPosted: Mon, May 07, 2018 1:30pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Difficult to answer. On the one hand side it is a very Marshally sounding amp. So any Marshall in a box is tonally heading to the direction. On the other hand the quality of tone, dynamics, bottom end, overtones, aggression etc. can be replicated at all. Nothing I ever played sounds and feels like a Wizard. In my opinion very worth the shipping costs. There is no even close other amp I know.

PostPosted: Mon, May 07, 2018 1:56pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Wizard of Ozz wrote:
sotosprince wrote:

The one you want is the MTL. This will do all the Tallica tonez you desire. :yes: :yes: :yes:

My mark 3 nail the metallica tone no problem! I'm just looking for some different voicing amp that does the marshall thing better than the real marshall haha

Zoom MS-50G multistomp

PostPosted: Tue, May 08, 2018 9:42pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

sotosprince wrote:
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
sotosprince wrote:

My mark 3 nail the metallica tone no problem! I'm just looking for some different voicing amp that does the marshall thing better than the real marshall haha

... then take your pick: MC... MC2... MTL. You can't go wrong! :rock: :thumbsup:

You can sometimes find a good deal on the Modern Classics.

Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), braintheory (S: Engl SE EL34), ChurchHill (S: Gibson Historic Custom BBR7), RKnight (S: Mesa Mark IV), and many more.

PostPosted: Wed, May 09, 2018 2:48pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Wizard of Ozz wrote:
sotosprince wrote:
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
sotosprince wrote:

... then take your pick: MC... MC2... MTL. You can't go wrong! :rock: :thumbsup:

You can sometimes find a good deal on the Modern Classics.

If everything goes as planned, next summer I'll be visiting Phoenix Arizona and some other States! Maybe I could find a nice wizard and bring it home!!!

Zoom MS-50G multistomp