What is the best pedal platform amp?

A lot of good amps on here. Here’s a few not mentioned I’ve played. I always have one pedal platform amp in the stable.

Two Rock Studio Pro
Morgan SW (Watch Tosin Abasi’s Rig-rundown) I see it was mentioned but Tosin is getting some phenomenal tones country clean to brutal chug.
Bogner Barcelona is a sleeper.
Boogie MKIII

Milkman. Never played these but it’s like high end Fenders. Rave reviews.

Right now I’ve using a Two Rock SP35. And I’m more than impressed.
Suhr Bella or Two Rock SP gets my vote. Both have a loop and flexible clean tones. Mr Andy Wood is getting some righteous tones out if it and he was using a Herbert and a KSR before. Shaun Tubbs does a lot of pedal reviews with it too.

tripstan":32pofoev said:
Suhr Bella or Two Rock SP gets my vote. Both have a loop and flexible clean tones.

I noticed in Tosin's rig rundown, he mentions that with a clean amp like his Morgan, he doesn't need a loop for his time-based effects. He says everything is fine going in front since that base channel remains clean. I'm wondering if it would still be beneficial to have a loop though (maybe for an eq pedal) although again, Tosin is using a paraEQ out front. Interesting concept that I'm not educated on!

Loop is useful if your using preamp distortion. Poweramp distortion makes the loop pretty much useless. If the preamp and poweramp are clean no loop is needed.

Most people when they are talking about using a amp as a pedal platform are talking about using a completely clean amp sound.

You don’t really need a loop, I do by force of habit. I like to use a volume pedal post gain and EQ in the loop. Very very handy when gigging especially with IEM’s. Works as a master volume. You can just put one after your gain pedals but it’s still before the input which is a gain stage and will affect the feel of the gain. I don’t think it matters too much with the SW as it doesn’t really have preamp gain.

Ampeg V4/V2
Fender Showman/Dual Showman, with or without Reverb
Fender blackmaster heads all work well
Fender Bandmaster Reverb
Lots of decent clones, or similar type amps. Not like this is a new thing. Personally would rather have a refreshed original, usually cheaper than the boutique ones in the same vein.

I'm using a Reverend Kingsnake 20/60 watt 1x12 combo amp as a pedal platform amp in a couple of my cover band gigs where I'm playing a lot of clean rhythm guitar and an MI Audio Crunch Box for crunch or lead guitar. It's an all tube combo amp that has good tone, 4 band EQ, effects loop, 20 / 60 watts output switch, tube reverb, come stock with a Jensen Neo 12-100 speaker, running on a pair of 6L6 power tubes. The Schizo switch on the front of the amp can change the voice of the amp from Fender, tweed, or a Vox like tone. Very versatile!

Guitar George

I used the aforementioned JCM800 as a pedal platform back in the day. That was great. Fenders DO work well, just watch out for the bright switch. The new-ish Fender '68 Custom Twin is so good for this - the left side of the amp has the Bassman tone stack and you can A/B.

I’ve played and owned a lot more amps since I last posted in this thread (including most mentioned here) and now I’d agree with Candletears7. My ‘81 Hiwatt DR103 is by far the best pedal platform amp I’ve tried and among my top 5 favorite amps of all time

My next favorites would be basically the same as what I posted here last time: Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+ or better yet Mark III++ coliseum if you can find one, my ‘64 Vibroverb (better than the vibrolux I mentioned before and best blackface amp of all of them)

The Ampeg V4, that someone else mentioned here, would probably also be a great pedal platform amp. I never actually tried pedals with one, but I can imagine it working very well with them

I used to have the VH4, Ecstasy & BE pedals, they all sounded killer through the clean channel of my old DSL JCM2000.

if money was no object i would get a fuchs clean machine 150.

tosin uses a clean dumble type amp with pedals and his tone is amazing.

MetalHeadMike":18857myl said:
Germino club 40 sounds tits with pedals driving it. I really like it with a Timmy pushing it.

This. I've had a lot of amps. Nothing inhales pedals like the C40. I used a Timmy and Barber Gain Changer at band volume, Bogner Blue with those at lower volumes. That amp rocks with pedals. Better than a DRRI or my ol bf Dual Showman.

I never felt like a super clean amp made a good pedal platform...... no matter how big the tranny. Amp at edge of breakup being pushed with a good OD always sounded vastly better to me. :dunno:

Verellen amps.

I love my Skyhammer for everything, but it takes pedals really well too.

Verellen makes a few other models, like the Louchs, that are pedal platforms specifically. Also, Russian Circles (both members) use the Meatsmoke with some great success. Great tones to be had.

I am going to have to say a fender blackface bandmaster for me. The silverface one I am currently modding will be more of a beast though, but not necessarily a clean one. I am curious to see how it ends upm

Back