Played a Splawn Supersport that's for sale today.

Should I?

• Buy the shit out of it.

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Get it & sell it to you.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nah.

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

GJgo

Guy I know has a Splawn Supersport for sale so I went to check it out. It's on of the 22w 6V6 ones. Tried it with a Greenback cab, it was OK. Tried it with my Recto 2x12 Vert cab, and it rips! Once the volume gets above 2:00 or so it relally wakes up, and the top end of the knob sounds killer and it's not crazy loud. Sound is so-so on the bottom 2/3 of the knob, though. I really don't know anything about these other than it's a hot rodded Marshall circuit. He's only asking $675 so I'm having a hard time saying no, even though I don't need another amp LOL. So, I need some moral support. Tell me about this amp- should I pick it up?

GJgo":19kuwzrd said:
Guy I know has a Splawn Supersport for sale so I went to check it out. It's on of the 22w 6V6 ones. Tried it with a Greenback cab, it was OK. Tried it with my Recto 2x12 Vert cab, and it rips! Once the volume gets above 2:00 or so it relally wakes up, and the top end of the knob sounds killer and it's not crazy loud. Sound is so-so on the bottom 2/3 of the knob, though. I really don't know anything about these other than it's a hot rodded Marshall circuit. He's only asking $675 so I'm having a hard time saying no, even though I don't need another amp LOL. So, I need some moral support. Tell me about this amp- should I pick it up?

Words like "so-so", usually sum it up for me, especially when "I don't need another amp" is part of the equation. There's no moral support needed, just common sense. Unless it had a tone that stays in your head, and leaves you obsessed, buying an amp just for shits and grins has a better chance to land in the classifieds next week. Does it blow you away? Personally, Splawns usually kill with Greenbacks, atleast the two I owned did.

I will say that it had a tremendous amount of sustain. With my vert 2x12 V30s and the volume pumped it was what I'd call a really great one (gain) trick pony. It was punchy & had good cut, and still had a good chug on the bottom end.

Honestly for the price I was thinking about playing it for a while then flipping it.

BrokenFusion":254et844 said:
I had one. Wasn't crazy about it, but I paid 1200. $675 is a steal.

Well, I have a Splawn Pro Stock B+ for sale in the classifieds for $975 right now. THAT is an even better steal. ;)

Junk Yard Dog":2ambk00s said:
BrokenFusion":2ambk00s said:
I had one. Wasn't crazy about it, but I paid 1200. $675 is a steal.

Well, I have a Splawn Pro Stock B+ for sale in the classifieds for $975 right now. THAT is an even better steal. ;)

Saw a Competition locally for $700! Cracked headshell but still a great price.

The 50-watters are more of a big amp feel compared to the 6V6 versions but they're all really cool amps.

Screw it. I bought it from the guy. ..and two other Marshall heads, and two greenback cabs, for a killer bundle price. I'll play it for a while & do a playthrough vid then flip it. :)

The 22 watter did have killer sound at the top of the dial without making your eardrums bleed. It had a huge tight bottom end for 6V6, pretty impressive really.

napalmdeath":w64s6e13 said:
GJgo":w64s6e13 said:

Words like "so-so", usually sum it up for me, especially when "I don't need another amp" is part of the equation. There's no moral support needed, just common sense. Unless it had a tone that stays in your head, and leaves you obsessed, buying an amp just for shits and grins has a better chance to land in the classifieds next week. Does it blow you away? Personally, Splawns usually kill with Greenbacks, atleast the two I owned did.

Yeah, I agree. If someone says "it was ok" or "probably don't need it", then more of finding a great deal versus something you really want. Not that it is bad to get a good deal on something but I'm getting to the point now where I want to have that feeling like a kid on Christmas when I get something. I want to save up my money and while I'm doing it, read reviews and be going nuts because I don't have something yet. :D

Back