Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Tue, Oct 16, 2018 4:00am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The BFG Snorkler Mod
PostPosted: Sat, Jul 09, 2011 11:33pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Are you human?: 951
I was asked to build an amp to the original spec that Jerry used to record Facelift and Dirt...not just a copy of a current model. Since I'm a huge fan this was very enjoyable work and I've researched for a long time and recently came up with a few missing pieces to the puzzle. I think Bogner is one of the most talented designers in the game and this amp is a tribute to that. I won't bore you with the details, but suffice it to say...I think this is the best I've heard for nailing the early AIC tone. It just sounds right when I play it in the room. I always thought all of the elements were tough to capture...kind of a nasally honk, tight grind and lots of initial definition which blossoms into a loose, gritty sustain. This amp does all those things, and I'm sure Steve will be happy with it :rock:

This was a quick first take clip with a few mistakes. There is no post EQ, just a left and right track normalized and a small amount of reverb.

BFG Amplification Youtube Channel: BFG Youtube Channel

Post subject: Re: The BFG Snorkler Mod
PostPosted: Sat, Jul 09, 2011 11:35pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

amazing :rock:

Good Deals With: gbsmusic, masterwrk, racerevlon, shadowfax29, overthemountain, mhenson42, guitaraddict, Captain Stinko, MillstheHawk, JerryDyer, 1923ford, ampjunkie, roodyrocker, muudrock, drewiv, Jet Troop,Gearhog,TrentBizzle, hi2nw, chumbucket, feraledge, singlecutkiller, verderacer, caseygree, JerryP, Ampaddict, fuzzyguitars

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 09, 2011 11:38pm 
Immortal Rock God

its close but its like it needs a bit more grind?

damn close though, great job :thumbsup:

Guitars:
2012 Fender Select
1988 Charvel 475XL Special
2018 Gibson Les Paul Traditional
1999 Wolfgang Standard (Emerald Green)

Effects:
ADA 2FX
Lexicon PCM 81
TC Electronic 2240
Damage Control Timeline
Dunlop 535Q

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 09, 2011 11:47pm 
Rock God

That sounds great man!!!!! :rock:

My good deal list
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=152117

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 09, 2011 11:50pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Plenty of room on the preamp for that if needed. :)

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 12:13am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Wow really liked that. :rock:

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 12:51am 
Rock God

Sounds pretty darned excellent! \m/

Everything is for sale at the right price ;-)

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 3:54am 
Immortal Rock God

Thanks Brian and looking forward to it. FWIW, I was looking for a single amp to replicate what I think to be one of the top most interesting and unique tones which pleases me. I say one of the top, as there are several. This one though is one that gives me a stiffy and early Cantrell to me is right up my pipes and what I love to play. The Fish won't get it for me, even the Cantrell modded one (because it wasn't recorded on a Fish). Some Marshall mods get close, but I was thinking, what the hell - why don't one of the mod squad do me one? I had asked several guys about the Snorkler and if they had a schematic or knowledge of the mod. Brian, immediately stepped up to the plate, also being a Cantrell follower, was totally down with working on it.

So, take a stock JCM800, as was the original, a few weeks of Google, finding other sources of info and a soldering iron, out popped what we think is so close to the original that it is scary. The clips to me sound right on. That nasally, articulated, note or chord which breaks up as it trails off into some loose, grind - is spot on. Hopefully, it will be this good standing in front of it, and I am sure it will. Brian has a great infinity for translating into tone, what you describe to him. Also, I didn't want multiple switches, selectors, boosts, etc - just a plug and go masterpiece like the original studio amp.

We'll get it off into the wild blue yonder in a couple days and in my clutches. I am not a guy that is fond of signature anything and tone, and like to create my own, based on others - except AIC. I dig it and want it. Now, where did I put that damn Egnater S4 amp switcher. I am going to need it for some upcoming gigs with this bad boy.

Thanks Brian. Awesome job bro, and I will report in when it gets here and I start "bleeding the freak".

Steve

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 7:40am 
Supah Stah

Sounds GREAT!!!!

Just curious where the "Snorkler" name came from? I only ask because there's a Forum member here and on MTS who mods Modules, and calls his mod the Snorkler as well.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 7:44am 
Golden Ears

RockStarNick wrote:
Sounds GREAT!!!!

Just curious where the "Snorkler" name came from? I only ask because there's a Forum member here and on MTS who mods Modules, and calls his mod the Snorkler as well.

it's what Jerry called the amp he used on Facelift. He also showed up on MTV in a speedo, swim mask and a snorkel.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 8:10am 
Rock God

That sounds really good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rock:

Good deals with(aeroic,Brad King,Buckeyedog,Chris R,Dallas Marlow,droptrd,Dropped_2_C,EWSEthan,fatb0y,guitarslinger,Greazygeo,Jeff Hilligan,Inearthed,jski59,JKD,mfred,MotorCityPickUps,O'Rourke,racerevlon,raysus,rlord1974,studio289,RockStarNick,Seitz333,steve_k,tomx56,valverec,VoodooChild24)

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 8:33am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Did Cantrell have the Bogner modded marshall then. I thought it was JCM800's, 808 tubescreamer and a Seymour Duncan JB pickup?

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 8:48am 
Immortal Rock God

RockStarNick wrote:
Sounds GREAT!!!!

It was the original name given to the amp, because of the nasally voicing. I don't think it was anything but what they called it as an afterthought.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 9:03am 
Immortal Rock God

harddriver wrote:
Did Cantrell have the Bogner modded marshall then. I thought it was JCM800's, 808 tubescreamer and a Seymour Duncan JB pickup?

It was a modded JCM 800 rented from Andy Brauer Rentals where Reinhold was working at the time, before Bogner Amplification was born. Apparently, there were two made. Well, now there's three and I am stealing the "Snorkler" for my JCM 800. :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

Don't know if this is all legit or not. Sounds convincing though. Then, there's that ocean front property in Arizona too. Don't know for sure the story. I know damn well it wasn't a Fish though. However, a guy in Italy owns the amp now, and his story jives with the trade of the half-stack and combo.

http://bognerampforum.informe.com/fish- ... dt706.html

Hello Fellas!Normally i dont do the forum thing but i have some interesting info to share.My name is Ronnie Champagne im a Producer/Engineer/Guitarist,i was in the Hollywood studio game from 1984 to 1998.I recorded Janes Addiction's "NOTHINGS SHOCKING"and 'RITUAL DE LO HABITUAL",as well as Dave Navarro and Eric Avery's "DECONSTRUCTION" for Rick Rubin.I also recorded ALICE IN CHAINS "FACELIFT" as well as SOCIAL DISTORTION and MY SISTERS MACHINE's "DIVA" and a few hundred more around the world as well as touring europe and africa and canada and the u.s.I just wanted to clarify what msr.Bogner has on his web site about the Fish and Jerry Cantrell.But lets backtrack a little.When i was recording "nothings shocking" i was using my own amps,a black face fender bassman 50,a late 70's,early 80's marshall jcm 800 50 and a silverface twin loaded with greenbacks.plus a 60's marshall 4x12 with greenies...i was getting great tones using a modified r.k.butler tube driver to hit my amps hard...anyways back in the day ANDY BRAUER RENTALS had some great gear so i used them all the time for extra tones,well we finished nothings shocking and i was listening to how un satisfied i was with the tones(they still rock though)so i got it by the grapevine that steve and joe and eddie had these mods done by this new guy,msr B.,when it came time to start preproduction on janes "ritual" i was told there was a modded marshall at brauers that i should check out...i did...and i wouldnt give it back!!!it was a jcm 800 just like the one i owned.So i took mine over to Brauers where Bogner was now working before he got funding for his own line...i asked him if he would do to mine exactly what he had done to this rental...he said no...i said you dont get this one back...i finally pleaded with him telling him that it was in his best interest considering i knew what was in the pipeline and i think we paid him double,hehe!any ways thats when the SNORKLER was born.it was originally a combo that i bought in canada in '83,used.Actually i traded a half stack for it and some dosh as i was moving to los angeles and didnt want to lug a half stack around...well the rest is history as they say...everyone who got to use my baby wanted to buy it from me.i think Jerry offered me 5 grand at one point a couple years after facelift went platinum because he couldnt get the tone from the bog's he got...my favorite tone is using a drop d tuning telecaster thru the snorkler and two 4x12's....its the voice of god!we used that combo alot on Facelift doubled with Jerry's G & L 's...my 69 les paul custom fucking kills it and my es 135 sounds like butter with fangs!!!Contrary to popular belief i always went straight into the snorkler and then mic into neve 1073 into la-2a direct to tape(studer a-800 16 track tw0 inch.)i used the fender bassman for clean tracks and slightly raunchy brown tones then left the solos for the SNORKLER.I recorded most of Jerry's solos and Lanes vocals at Capitol Studios hollywood studio "a".I put my 4x12 greenies in a stairwell,which made everyone go crazy!!!thats my style....and recorded the natural ambience so it sounded fucking real and HUGE...dont know if they will let me do that trick ever again!!!but hey i want to sell millions of records so they can suck it up,cuz i pay their wages!!!Anyways thats pretty much the set up i have used since 1990 or so...
So as far as the Fish pre amp goes,well thats not what we used,ever...I think my snorkler is one of the 6 best sounding amps ever made and they all were modded by rheinhold...hes a fucking genius.Its priceless to me,made me and others a lot of money just trying to crush some fucking skulls via ROCK GUITAR!!!...any questions?

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 9:24am 
Rock God

Sounds like you hit one out of the park with this one Brian.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 9:32am 
Immortal Rock God

Brian's busy on eBay buying up all the 50 watt JCM 800's he can find right now...... :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

Steve

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 12:41pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

steve_k wrote:
Brian's busy on eBay buying up all the 50 watt JCM 800's he can find right now...... :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

Steve

Shhhh :D :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 1:24pm 
Supah Stah

sounds great Brian :thumbsup: :rock:

So say goodnight to the bad guy!

http://www.tripleedgeband.com

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 1:50pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

sounds great, pretty damned close!

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 2:51pm 
Rock God

Sounds awesome...its definitely right there!

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 3:01pm 
Supah Stah

Normally, I'm not one for modded amps, but that sounded killer! I so wish I had the spare income to get one of these right now.

2017 Charvel San Dimas

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 3:32pm 
Rock God Trainee

nice work Brian, i'd say that's pretty much nailed to wall! :rock:

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 3:54pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

that was fantastic!!!!

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 4:11pm 
Diezel Amplification

yup, awesome sound !

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 4:24pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

It would be very difficult to get any closer than that....well done.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 4:53pm 
Rock God

How much extra are the red knobs? :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 5:03pm 
Rock God

:rawk:

gbsmusic,Ignoramus,RipleyRipley,WizardOzz,Spaceboy,Tonmazz,Sjk,warhead78,
fuzzyguitars,bwgintegra,Bluplirstand,londaxe,* velcro-fly *Parap14 and at least 25 more

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 5:22pm 
Rock God

That is damn close! Nice job! I've been obsessed with the Facelift tone forever. "Bleed the Freak" intro guitar, with that "sticky" somewhat brown sound, but dark and a little bit honky is one of the best recorded tones ever IMO. I'd love one of these amps!

How different is this from your AIC mod?

Good transactions with: Juggernaut, Daavvt, gbsmusic, reverymike, zewango, Ancient Alien, RACKSYSTEMS, moltenmetalburn, lolzgreg, tlingen, Chris O, guitarded_1, Findthetone, King Guitar, dual lead, axegod8185, dooredge, OUTLAW1969, mniel8195, Dale B, Crunchtime

http://imgur.com/jtdoLvC

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 6:09pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Thanks for the kudos...it was a fun amp to build.

glassjaw7 wrote:
That is damn close! Nice job! I've been obsessed with the Facelift tone forever. "Bleed the Freak" intro guitar, with that "sticky" somewhat brown sound, but dark and a little bit honky is one of the best recorded tones ever IMO. I'd love one of these amps!

How different is this from your AIC mod?

It is very different...this is one of those deals that you really have to have the sum of all the parts for the early stuff, and the red knobs :D. The AIC mod I have done in the past will get you closest to the newer stuff and certainly in the ballpark going back.

Brian

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 8:54pm 
Immortal Rock God

Lp Freak wrote:

Cost was not an object when it came to the knob job. Tone is in the knobs man..... :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 9:18pm 
Rock God

steve_k wrote:
Lp Freak wrote:

Cost was not an object when it came to the knob job. Tone is in the knobs man..... :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

No doubt. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 9:25pm 
Journeyman NOOB

:rock:

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 9:41pm 
Immortal Rock God

Lp Freak wrote:
steve_k wrote:
Lp Freak wrote:

No doubt. :thumbsup:

Yes....that's the mod I'm talking about...... :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 11:09pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

Cool Post, amp sounds nice! its definatly very close it seems from the clips. Is there extra pre tubes added,clipping,etc,?? post some details

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 11:13pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Sounds very cool and I dig the "snorkler" logo; nice touch :thumbsup: That said, Todd Duane (ampaddict) had a bogner modded 800 that sounded dead on nuts to the snorkler. Unfortunately he took the clips down...I imagine an original bogner mod is about as "rare as hens teeth"(that saying was for you Steve) so this is the next best thing for sure. If you don't mind me asking Steve/Brian how much is the mod?? I may have to start looking for a suitable jcm 800 :rock:

EVH Frankenstein Strat (Homemade)
Gibson Solid Guitar
1970's Ludwig 3-Ply "Orphan Bonham" Kit

Good dealings with ridner, Shark Diver, EVHFAN

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 11:27pm 
Immortal Rock God

Stramm8 wrote:
Sounds very cool and I dig the "snorkler" logo; nice touch :thumbsup: That said, Todd Duane (ampaddict) had a bogner modded 800 that sounded dead on nuts to the snorkler. Unfortunately he took the clips down...I imagine an original bogner mod is about as "rare as hens teeth"(that saying was for you Steve) so this is the next best thing for sure. If you don't mind me asking Steve/Brian how much is the mod?? I may have to start looking for a suitable jcm 800 :rock:

Rare indeed. There's 3 or 4 Bogner modded Marshall's that I know of still in captivity. I have one. But, it isn't a Snorkler mod but more of a hot-rod plexi with what became the Cantrell mod on the Fish. All of Bogner's mods that exist seemed to be predecessors to his production amp circuits. Which, is pretty cool. Mine's in storage, aging some more....

I will let Brian answer you in private on pricing.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 11:35pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

steve_k wrote:
Stramm8 wrote:

Rare indeed. There's 3 or 4 Bogner modded Marshall's that I know of still in captivity. I have one. But, it isn't a Snorkler mod but more of a hot-rod plexi with what became the Cantrell mod on the Fish. All of Bogner's mods that exist seemed to be predecessors to his production amp circuits. Which, is pretty cool. Mine's in storage, aging some more....

Steve

10-4. Thanks for the info on the bogner mods.

EVH Frankenstein Strat (Homemade)
Gibson Solid Guitar
1970's Ludwig 3-Ply "Orphan Bonham" Kit

Good dealings with ridner, Shark Diver, EVHFAN

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 10, 2011 11:43pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Stramm8 wrote:
steve_k wrote:
Stramm8 wrote:

Steve

10-4. Thanks for the info on the bogner mods.

Glad you like the Mod. Brian does amazing work!

Good Deals With: gbsmusic, masterwrk, racerevlon, shadowfax29, overthemountain, mhenson42, guitaraddict, Captain Stinko, MillstheHawk, JerryDyer, 1923ford, ampjunkie, roodyrocker, muudrock, drewiv, Jet Troop,Gearhog,TrentBizzle, hi2nw, chumbucket, feraledge, singlecutkiller, verderacer, caseygree, JerryP, Ampaddict, fuzzyguitars

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 24, 2011 9:30pm 
Immortal Rock God

Out for delivery yesterday was my new Snorkler Mod from Brian at BFG. The tone print is great and Brian did his homework on this. Not just a couple of cap changes and what not either. He basically rebuilt the tone stack and most of the power end as well. The EQ tapers are great and easy to dial up early Cantrell type tones. With a little adjustment, the amp goes into almost a Master of Puppets IIC+ vibe. It will get some great Jones's tones too for the Tool attack. It is going to be a cool amp to have around the cave and will get a gig test drive soon. For you guys who are seeking some sort of tone print or for a general Marshall mod, Brian is reasonable on cost, will do his homework to get you something very custom and quick. No fucking about with him. I didn't want anything complicated or any switching on this one. Will get some clips up today after work.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 24, 2011 10:42pm 
Rock God

steve_k wrote:
Out for delivery yesterday was my new Snorkler Mod from Brian at BFG. The tone print is great and Brian did his homework on this. Not just a couple of cap changes and what not either. He basically rebuilt the tone stack and most of the power end as well. The EQ tapers are great and easy to dial up early Cantrell type tones. With a little adjustment, the amp goes into almost a Master of Puppets IIC+ vibe. It will get some great Jones's tones too for the Tool attack. It is going to be a cool amp to have around the cave and will get a gig test drive soon. For you guys who are seeking some sort of tone print or for a general Marshall mod, Brian is reasonable on cost, will do his homework to get you something very custom and quick. No fucking about with him. I didn't want anything complicated or any switching on this one. Will get some clips up today after work.

Steve

You right Steve!! Brian is a talented guy and he's passionate about it!! He really cares if you like it and wants to make sure you're happy!! :thumbsup:

My good deal list

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 25, 2011 3:43am 
Immortal Rock God

It's a cool mod. I am going to go fire it up right now :rock:

What's nice is it is totally different from any other I have, and on purpose - because we wanted it that way. It will get tones nothing else will get, and visa-versa. Its not a one-size fits all thing, and I didn't want it to be....which is exactly why I am having to order me another Egnater SS-4 switcher. For gigging, we play quite a bit of AIC and I want this in the rack along with a Cameron Jose or Aldrich, and switch heads. Then, there's the SLO......

I find this amp so much easier than fucking with the Fish too. The Fish preamp with the Cantrell mod is OK, but this is better, albeit only 1 channel. The gain and mid taper on the BFG mimics the Fish, only better.

Cantrell would be proud and I am awaiting his call because he will probably want to use this on their next album. Junkhead and Bleed the Freak clips tonight......................

Steve

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 25, 2011 3:53am 
Yo Steve... did you get a hold of that guy about the SS-4? What do you like about that unit better than an RJM?

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 25, 2011 5:04am 
Immortal Rock God

pfapin05 wrote:
Yo Steve... did you get a hold of that guy about the SS-4? What do you like about that unit better than an RJM?

The SS4 is a built for purpose head switcher. One head at a time into a cab, or pair of cabs. It is not a A/B/C/D//Y where you can combine. Each head will see the same equivalent load. Midi switched and has a compensated line out for pealing off signal from whatever head is assigned to run a signal to an FX unit/power amp. Solid piece of gear.

There aren't anymore products like this for 4 heads, that I am aware of, except for some Bradshaw gear, and Radial makes a pedal for 2 heads.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 25, 2011 6:52am 
Rock God

steve_k wrote:
It's a cool mod. I am going to go fire it up right now :rock:

What's nice is it is totally different from any other I have, and on purpose - because we wanted it that way. It will get tones nothing else will get, and visa-versa. Its not a one-size fits all thing, and I didn't want it to be....which is exactly why I am having to order me another Egnater SS-4 switcher. For gigging, we play quite a bit of AIC and I want this in the rack along with a Cameron Jose or Aldrich, and switch heads. Then, there's the SLO......

I find this amp so much easier than fucking with the Fish too. The Fish preamp with the Cantrell mod is OK, but this is better, albeit only 1 channel. The gain and mid taper on the BFG mimics the Fish, only better.

Cantrell would be proud and I am awaiting his call because he will probably want to use this on their next album. Junkhead and Bleed the Freak clips tonight......................

Steve

Nice!

My good deal list

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 25, 2011 10:18am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Very cool amp. Congrats.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 25, 2011 9:10pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Thanks Steve...It is a unique design for sure and you are right there are some other great tones in the amp for sure. I look forward to a gig report with it.

Brian

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 07, 2011 8:51pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

steve_k wrote:
Stramm8 wrote:

Steve

Late to the party sorry! Steve you have my Bogner mod Marshall that I did clips with. Great amp. Sounded AIC like to me when I had it!

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 07, 2011 11:48pm 
Immortal Rock God

Ampaddict wrote:
steve_k wrote:
Stramm8 wrote:

Steve

Late to the party sorry! Steve you have my Bogner mod Marshall that I did clips with. Great amp. Sounded AIC like to me when I had it!

Ah, the Acme Tone Sucker? I still got it in the Marshall vintage closet. Yes, but it needs an attenuator for sure to get there. Want it back? I won't be using it.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu, Sep 08, 2011 12:15am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

steve_k wrote:
Ampaddict wrote:
steve_k wrote:
Stramm8 wrote:

Steve

Ah, the Acme Tone Sucker? I still got it in the Marshall vintage closet. Yes, but it needs an attenuator for sure to get there. Want it back? I won't be using it.

Steve

Let me get acquainted with the Fish again first.

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 14, 2018 5:02pm 
Hack

A video is worth a thousand words

https://youtu.be/AlhLSzJHXzA