Can anyone give me the lowdown on VHT Pittbulls?

Dave L

Hi guys, does anyone have a quick rundown of all the different VHT Pittbull models? There seem to be a ton of them and they all look really similar:
Classic
50/ST
Hundred/CL
Fifty/CL
Ultra-lead
Hundred/CLX
One hundred

The 45 and the 30 at least seem to be a very different thing with the EL84 power section.

One commonality with the VHT/Fryette stuff is the clarity and great power sections. A little dry but that's the tradeoff for the clarity. I've had both Deliverance models and they are fantastic amps.
No exp with the Pittbull models but I'm sure they aren't too different from the D series....
Great amps.

I had an older Pit Bull Classic and it was a great amp, great feature set, well made, etc... but I wished I had bought an Ultralead for the music I was playing at the time (specifically the Ultralead with the graphic EQ) as it was WAY heavier sounding, but the Classic was the first VHT I saw in person and coming from a stock 2203 Marshall with an SD-1 in front of it, the VHT solved a lot of issues for me (3 footswitchable channels plus switchable loop, line out, etc... ) BUT they are VERY dry amps. Unforgiving as all get out. If you have the chops you're all set, but if you hide behind the gain, you'll get snake bit.

I'd like to try an UL someday. Just sold a D60 and it was somewhat unforgiving not anything I couldn't manage, and I'm not that good a player. AWESOME killer amp. Only reason I sold it is because I bought a Wizard.

Thanks guys, I´m really an 80s rock player and not that into the heavier stuff. I guess I´m looking for something to slot inbetween the JCM800-ish crunch channel and the fat lead channel of my Soldano. Something heavier than the crunch and chunkier than the lead, without being too metal about it. Maybe a Classic would be something to look at?

You want a Deliverance from what you said. The Pittbulls are less forgiving and more modern voiced. I kind of view the Fryette amps as kind of a mix of Hiwatt and MESA Mark amps.

I believe I have most of this correct ?
It shows the differences and similarly of the various amps.

The preamps of both Deliverance, Sig-X Rhythm channel & Memphis Drive channel are based on the Rhythm channel of the Pittbull's.

The Lead channel of the Sig-X is based on the Lead channel of the Pittbull's.

The Clean channel of the Memphis is based on the Clean channel of the Sig-X.

The GP3 is based on all three channels of the Pittnbull's.

Both the Sig-X and GP3 have the dynamic sensing feature. On the Sig, the sensitivity is fixed. On the GP3 it's adjustable on the front panel.

The power amp of the UL is similar to the 2150
The Power amp of the Sig X is similar to the 2/90/2

"CLX has a single 12AX7 driver stage, a different power transformer, a different output transformer and Dual Class Mode. It breaks up easier and has a bit more give - besides the EL34 voice.

UL does not have DualClass switch. Never did. Neither model has ever had Enhance Mode - the switchable tube/ss rectifier function.

The differences between the 2 models has varied over time, but has been stable over the last roughly 10 years.

Difference between the D60 and D120 is the driver stage. The 120 has a 2-tube driver/PI stage similar to the UL. The 60 has the single stage like the CLX. Preamp voicing is the same, but because of the difference in output and driver stage, the 60 sounds more pissed off compared to the 120 which sounds more like a bulldozer coming down your street."

- support

The CL does not have the clean channel. Other than that similar to the CLX.

The Classic is not more of a vintage sound really. It's just a early Pittbull. They changed the name because Peavey was using the name and took issue with it.

Thanks Stephen, I thought the Deliverances were strictly mega heavy but it seems I had them backwards.

Hi, new one here :) I'm big fan of VHT.

50/ST - 50W, EL34, 1clean, 1drive channel
Hundred/CL - 100W, EL34, 2 drive channels (with low gain are usable as clean), graphic EQ option
Fifty/CL - the same as Hundred without 2 power tubes but have tube rectification (or diode)
Ultra-lead - 3 channel monster with KT88 power section
Hundred/CLX - Ultralead with EL34

EL84 models are not bad at all. I rent my friend a 2x10'' combo for metal gig and it sounded suprisingly amazing :)

In these days I prefer Deliverance for simplicity and JCM800 feel.

I have a Deliverance 120 and Sig X here. Both of these amps are a bit more vintage sounding than the Pittbull. The Sig X is a bit more saturated and has the easiest feel of any of the Fryette amps. The Deliverance has this amazing punch. More than any other amp I have tried....and just a big sound.

All the Fryette amps are very versatile and can cover anything from clean to high gain. Modern to vintage. But each is slightly voiced different.

I recommend from your statement about a 800 and Soldano you look at Deliverance and Sig X.

My Classic had a dedicated clean channel and it was very nice, the second channel had two gain controls for a rhythm/lead switching situation and I THINK a solo boost also (I sold this amp years ago and I'm going on memory here). Mine was in fact a VHT and not Fryette, I bought it used in the early 90s.

I have a 91 Pittbull Classic, it's killer. Don't think I'll ever part with it. They are dry, and unforgiving, BUT it will make you a better player. You'll get used to the dryness after a week of playing it.

stephen sawall":3it21oaw said:
I recommend from your statement about a 800 and Soldano you look at Deliverance and Sig X.
I would second this with leaning towards the Sig:X just for the fact that it has way more options. VHT/Fryette makes some amazing amps. The CL100 is the only amp I have regretted selling.

maddnotez":2ka4m4uv said:
stephen sawall":2ka4m4uv said:
I would second this with leaning towards the Sig:X just for the fact that it has way more options. VHT/Fryette makes some amazing amps. The CL100 is the only amp I have regretted selling.

I will third that although the 50CL I had was great too, it was actually a little more saturated than the Sig X I had but it's naturally a little more scooped than the SIG X. The Sig X is one of my all time favorite amps, sure I will own one again one of these days.

I've owned a lot of Fryettes/VHTs over the years. The UL is the top amp by far IMO. The Delvierance/Sig X are probably optimal for what you want, but the UL can get you there too and a lot more. My UL and Wizards are the only amps that I'll never sell. Every other amp I own is just waiting to be sold. lol

mhenson42":3bjnm7wf said:
I've owned a lot of Fryettes/VHTs over the years. The UL is the top amp by far IMO. The Delvierance/Sig X are probably optimal for what you want, but the UL can get you there too and a lot more. My UL and Wizards are the only amps that I'll never sell. Every other amp I own is just waiting to be sold. lol

I do need to try a UL. I had one for a few months but it was a 1994 before all the changes. It was bigger sounding with the KT88 than the CL100 however the CL100 just crushed it in the omg this is heavy department.

mhenson42":3nofalcq said:

Even the Herbert?

I've been toying with the idea of moving towards two amps that are different but can be combined well in a mix. The dry, tight UL and the saturated, compressed Herbert have been up on my list lately.

Dave L":j6d92jc0 said:
Thanks Stephen, I thought the Deliverances were strictly mega heavy but it seems I had them backwards.
Definitely not. D series is most vintage voiced of the line, but can be dialed modern if needed. I had it so close to my SLO tone I sold the SLO.
:rock:

EvilBatman":3ti417iu said:
mhenson42":3ti417iu said:

Even the Herbert?

I've been toying with the idea of moving towards two amps that are different but can be combined well in a mix. The dry, tight UL and the saturated, compressed Herbert have been up on my list lately.

Diezel/Fryette is one of my favorite 2 amp tones. VH4 being the better of the two, but the Herbert works well too. Yeah. I bought my Herbert a few months ago because I missed having a Diezel around. It's a killer amp, but can't touch the others IMO.

Might want to look at the 50/ST. The earlier version were the same as the EL84 based 45. The later version is EL34 based. It's not as high gain as the others, closer to a boosted DR504. It's got a little AC30 flavor, along with the Hiwatt character, not as bright as a Marshall. It's got the class switch (A or AB) and the enhance mode (tube/ss rectifier). It's still pretty tight, but it blends really well with other amps. It does mid-gain stuff really well, gets up to maybe early thrash levels of gain, but not so much for the modern stuff. Clean channel's really nice, too, and the reverb is one of the nicer ones I've heard.

Dave L":2xh7ndh6 said:
Thanks guys, I´m really an 80s rock player and not that into the heavier stuff. I guess I´m looking for something to slot inbetween the JCM800-ish crunch channel and the fat lead channel of my Soldano. Something heavier than the crunch and chunkier than the lead, without being too metal about it. Maybe a Classic would be something to look at?

Are you planning on using for playing out, recording, or both? And do you need multiple channels?

A GP/DI and Power Station rig is a Swiss Army knife. The Power Station can obviously be used as a power amp, but it can also be integrated with the amps you already have. The GP/DI can get you a good flavor for the Pittbull and Deliverance voicings. It's not dead on, but it's in the same realm and sounds great for anything from pristine clean to brutal gain depending on how you set it. Yes, you can get everything in between also. Nice crunch, etc. It's also just like the Deliverance as far as reaction to your guitar volume.

I'm not a big fan of the GP/DI alone directly into a cabinet, but the Power Station and GP/DI is a match made in heaven.

If you need multiple channels, then just about any of the other Fryette amps can fit your bill depending on what your preference would be. The Pittbull CLX and UL come down to which power section you prefer, and the Sig:X is an incredibly versatile head that can be configured to do just about anything. If you get a Pittbull, I highly recommend making sure you get one with the graphic EQ.

I haven't tried the 50/ST, Super 30, or 45 Pittbulls, nor have I tried the Memphis or 50/100CLs. I've read that the 50/100CL amps are similarly voiced to the CLX but minus the clean channel FWIW.

The Deliverance 60 and 120 were both punishing amps that clean up great. I loved playing a strat through them and getting great old school Chili Peppers tones, or a humbucker guitar to get anything from 80's to brootz heavy metal. It's reactivity with a volume knob is as good as it gets.

Back