4x12 speaker cabs... The WORST gear investment ever. *RANT*

• Thread starter Deleted member 10619
  • Start date
I think both the TS and others have a point.

I've been gigging for almost 10 years with an Engl Pro 4x12 (which are pretty much twice as heavy as a typical Marshall 4x12). Since lifting a 125lbs (yes, not shitting you) cab by yourself can be quite a hassle (even though it fits in the back of my station wagon fine), I hardly bring it out for gigs these days, only when the stage is really big. Most of the time my Mesa Vertical 2x12 sounds just as fine.

As far as stage real-estate goes, a 4x12 is usually still 25% wider than a typical (24" wide) vertical 2x12. In certain bar gigs that can make a difference. But I have gigged with a H&K Tubemeister 18 on the Engl 4x12 as well, because lugging around a 90lbs flightcase (Invader 100, plus hidden compartment for fs, cables, wireless) was also a pain at that point.

Oh well, to each his own. I will say that I typically 'have an opinion' on metal-guitarists that bring a 1x12 cab or combo to a loud show. :confused: :gay: Not only do most 1x12's sound overly middy, they're usually also too directional. That's why to me a vertical slanted 2x12 is the best compromise. And if you do your speaker-mix right, throw in a beam blocker for a V30, it can bring the thump.

I have never purchased a single piece of gear or guitar for it's resale value. I got into music as an art form, not as an investment vehicle. The only time I have ever sold gear is for the expressed purpose of getting a better tool for the job.

I personally LOVE 4X12 cabs. I played in a thrash band that used 3 full Marshall stacks on each side of the stage (3 stacks per guitar player). We had so many cabs in the truck that I removed all the gold JCM 800\900 emblems on mine just so we could tell them apart. They are lost and gone forever and guess what, I don't care. I still have my stacks and will never sell. If I were still giging, I'd still have stacks on stage. Once you feel what 16-24\12" Celestion SPK sound and feel like, I don't think there's any going back. My sound through 3 stacks was based on tone, not volume. Many will never hear sound like this or know this feeling. As for an investment, I invest in my sound. Once I have what I want, I stick with it and improve where I can.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, anyone who wants to "Get Rid" (as per the "I can't GIVE AWAY my 4x12 Thread) of their Marshall 4X12 cabinets, just let me know, I'll gladly pay the shipping. I have a whole wall in my man-cave dedicated to more stacks.

The only thing that came anywhere close to the sound of a 4x12 for me was a pair of Mesa Thiele 1x12 spread out. But a PAIR, not one. Most 2x12's I've played don't cut it compared to a good 4x12. I went to a band practice last week and they had a Blackstar 2x12 cab.....sounded like shit. Get a 4x12 for cheap and just hold onto it.

4x12s are rock n roll. period.

2x12s and smaller are what people settle for when they get old and lazy.

i help our other guitar player load his cab and he helps me, its really not that hard.

a while back i bought a peavey vtm half stack and sold the amp for what i paid for the whole thing. free cab!! gotta love it.

i also really don't think about gear as investment. my 401k, roth IRA and other stocks are investments. gear is a tool i use to have fun playing music. kinda like a set of golf clubs if i played golf. i'm not out there trying to find and buy gear that will appreciate in value if i never abuse it at gigs. if i can't sell a piece of gear i just keep it for when my kids are older.

I love 4x12's and prefer them over even the "best" 2x12 out there. A cranked amp through a 4x12 is hard to beat. Buy them used at a good price or new (who cares which one), but having a couple good 4x12's is always a good option. They're far from obsolete...

4x12 all the way! I love picking them up and moving them too... all the time at the gym is for a reason

All I know is that my 4x12s will still be going strong long after the OP has upgraded to Axe-Fx5 and his now current Axe-Fx3 is in some electronic disposal landfill site rotting away after reaching its end of life lol !

yeah i agree, if i was gigging, i wouldn't want to carry 1 or 15 4x12's anywhere,

i am not even sure if i'd have a tube amp or a cabinet at all, probably just a processor based thingy, idk

the hang on the word investment is pretty silly

the investment isn't in the 4x12 itself from what i read, but in it's usefulness to you as a working or whatever kind of musician you are, not it's inherent value if there's such a thing, or it's value on any market place

if one uses the 4x12 to make 30k from working with said 4x12, then the idea of selling it is the only way to show value is obviously a limited view, you could make 40k potentially from a used crate 4x12 that cost 100 bucks and is worth literally nothing on the market, so yeah

most cars (vast majority) aren't investments, almost none are i guess, but it gets you to work or wherever else, so who cares what it's worth in a market place what it does for you is very important and some of the things it can do is unquantifiable

thanks for the rant/post

thegame":13ejh2z0 said:
All I know is that my 4x12s will still be going strong long after the OP has upgraded to Axe-Fx5 and his now current Axe-Fx3 is in some electronic disposal landfill site rotting away after reaching its end of life lol !
Not sure if the whole point is 4x12 vs. digital amp emulations...

And to the guy that brought up a Blackstar 2x12; they make some of the thinnest, ball-less sounding 2x12's out there. 0% comparable to an Engl, Diezel or Mesa cab.

I currently have two 4X12's. A beat up 1960B with greenbacks and a Marshall Mode Four MF280 oversized with the V30MF speakers. Can't seem to move the MF280 locally for $400 but I could probably get close to $300 for the speakers. I like the look of having the cab in my jam room anyway so if the speakers sell, the unloaded cab will become furniture.

So I am considering getting a 412 to pair with a Soldano HR25, what should I look into that might be a good deal out there? Something with greenbacks or G12-65's would be ideal.

Would kind of like a silver jubilee 412 cab for my 2553, but I don't see those below like $750.

blackba":1uuzi003 said:
So I am considering getting a 412 to pair with a Soldano HR25, what should I look into that might be a good deal out there? Something with greenbacks or G12-65's would be ideal.

Would kind of like a silver jubilee 412 cab for my 2553, but I don't see those below like $750.
The thing about 4x12s (and the OP mentioned it) is that if you NEED a 4x12 you often end up paying too much. Best way imo is to keep your eyes on craigslist and cabs will pop up for cheap...or sweet old cabs pop up for reasonable. If you are patient you'll find 70's Marshall cabs with the 'good' 70s era Celestions (greenbacks/creambacks/blackbacks/G12-65s) for $500-$600-ish...or less if you're racerxrated (guy gets all the deals...prob because he's diligent about checking CL/GC/etc :yes:).

SpiderWars":t8t6glk7 said:
blackba":t8t6glk7 said:

The thing about 4x12s (and the OP mentioned it) is that if you NEED a 4x12 you often end up paying too much. Best way imo is to keep your eyes on craigslist and cabs will pop up for cheap...or sweet old cabs pop up for reasonable. If you are patient you'll find 70's Marshall cabs with the 'good' 70s era Celestions (greenbacks/creambacks/blackbacks/G12-65s) for $500-$600-ish...or less if you're racerxrated (guy gets all the deals...prob because he's diligent about checking CL/GC/etc :yes:).

Low prices on 4x12 has been that way for quite(since the early 2000's) a while unless you have prerola celestions and you know what you have but that still doesn't quarantee you'll get your price. I see some trying to get prerola prices for blackbacks now... again you have to find to right buyer and most collectors have already collected and that collector market has been greatly reduced in the present market.

If you are a buyer it's a pretty good time to buy IMO. It's just how times are evolving especially relating to music in general. I would only like a Silver Jubilee cab or a white anniversary cab but they would have to priced right in today's market price, I won't overpay. As I player I prefer 4x12's over 2x12's they just sound bigger and better but I do have a Mesa roadster 2x12 that i like on hand these days to save on my back if I load up myself.

That’s a pretty sweet deal on that egnater cab.
I paid $500 for a used Randall Lynch box cab.
But bought one brand new back in the day for $1100
:LOL: :LOL:

Markedman":3n8plu5n said:
https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/msg/d/mesa-boogie-4x12-cabinet/6667600225.html

So you're saying this is a bad deal?
There are 2 or 3 Mesa cabs right now in the Mpls craigslist for 450 or less.........
And they've been there for a while.

I have five 4x12 I bought them all used and only 2 local over the years. I bought all of them used. Best deal was a Bogner slant 4x12 w/v30's for $500...good as new and still had the tag on it ;)

I have 5 412s that I bought new (well currently one on order). I prefer the sound of a nice 412 (or two) and I don't have any interest in smaller cabs. The heart wants what the heart wants. I don't have the patience to wait around for a used one. lol

Cabs are boat anchors though. Big pains in the ass to sell. I tend to sell the ones I've sold in a well priced deal for a half-stack. Seems to help things move.

Back