Queensryche Empire: God Tone?

From what I could snoop out on the net, as previously mentioned DeGarmo used a Soldano Pre with a Carvin FET900 and Wilton used a Wizard Pre and ADA MP1 also with a Carvin FET900. Mindcrime was all modded 2203s. Roland JC120 was also used for cleans.

Mailman1971":3gn85y6a said:
Saw that tour. Suicidal tendencies opened.
It was a great show. Crystal clear everything.
:rock:
Yep. Still the best show I've every heard. Phenomenal sound. ..even in the Toledo Sports Arena box. :rock:

Great stuff, we have discussed this before, Willy is right
Saw them multiple times on the Empire tour, it was fantastic. My first exposure to live performances where the effects spilled over when patch changes were done, I can remember thinking "dam.... How did they do that??" Sadly, my Tinkertoy setup could not pull that off :LOL: :LOL:
I have to say my pinnacle for them was Mindcrime, it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen live up to that point, we would travel very long distances to see it over and over..
Not to take anything away from the Rage for Order tour, at that point, it was one of the best live performances I'd ever seen. DeGarmo's backups were flawless. They were always flawless... Seeing Rage live was different than anything I'd ever seen done live.. Huge impact on me musically, they actually made you think about things they spoke of.
For whatever they became later, there was definitely a time when they were my number 1...
It was sad to see them fall apart.. And then Geoff Tate become a circus act.
Sad..

Wonder what Chris is doing now.. I know he did some piloting for a bit
His departure was the beginning of the end.. It was never the same after that. Not to say there has not been some cool tunes here and there, but Chris's input into the songwriting was sorely missed

Metalone72":p16xjctt said:
That album was awesome! I wish there were pictures of their racks somewhere but I cannot find anything on the web.

...so thank god I´m here ...
LP Freak":p16xjctt said:
Here’s what I found.

this is from Guitar Player Nov 1991 (ah...the good old days)
Guitarworld Nov 90, not 91

Attachments

• Guitarworld.jpg
    Guitarworld.jpg
    636.7 KB · Views: 2,468
I went to their studio and saw them rehearse for the Empire tour .
They played all of operation mind crime , even had Pamela Moore there.
I dont remember the amps they were using ?
I do remember looking at the Bob Bradshaw floor switching unit Chris Degarmo had.
They sounded so amazing !
My moms boyfriend built flangers for them and worked on their amps.
I can't remember if he modded them ?
Next time I talk to him , I will see if he remembers what they were using then ?

JTyson":2gnea8ve said:
...Wonder what Chris is doing now.. I know he did some piloting for a bit
His departure was the beginning of the end.. It was never the same after that. Not to say there has not been some cool tunes here and there, but Chris's input into the songwriting was sorely missed
I believe he's a professional pilot now?

Thanks you very much!!!!!!!

Piero the Guitarero":2z7nf674 said:
Metalone72":2z7nf674 said:
That album was awesome! I wish there were pictures of their racks somewhere but I cannot find anything on the web.

LP Freak":2z7nf674 said:
Here’s what I found.

Piero the Guitarero":wm6dntwq said:
Metalone72":wm6dntwq said:

LP Freak":wm6dntwq said:
Here’s what I found.

Thank you...I can't find my back issues.

yeah. this is a good thread for sure. so at my work i’ve seen queensryche before and after Geoff’s split...and i he guys used kempers now. do they sound good? they sound okay...not as good as they used to. for some reason their tone doesn’t ring out as long or as natural as before.

I haven't heard anything on "Empire" other than the hits and need to revisit that. I remember hearing "Take Hold of the Flame" in high school and was blown away. Later heard "Operation Mindcrime" and obviously that was phenomenal.

That drumbeat in the beginning of Empire before it starts kicking in always gives me chills. It just sounds so different than the typical stuff out there.

romanianreaper":24wmdca5 said:
I haven't heard anything on "Empire" other than the hits and need to revisit that. I remember hearing "Take Hold of the Flame" in high school and was blown away. Later heard "Operation Mindcrime" and obviously that was phenomenal.

That drumbeat in the beginning of Empire before it starts kicking in always gives me chills. It just sounds so different than the typical stuff out there.
I can't even remember which songs were hits other than Silent Lucidity and Jet City Woman...and Empire. But Della Brown and One and Only were a couple of my faves.

crwnedblasphemy":17oyg9dp said:
... but Della Brown is money. i listen to it a lot and try to figure out what effects they are using on the solo parts. it’s like Chorus/Flange/reverb.
In that magazine clip DeGarmo says he used a "TC Spatial Expander for chorusing and flanging effects". Not that they used it here but what does that unit sound like?

Just curious what Wizard preamp you guys are talking about?

A slave signal from the head to a poweramp or did Wizard make a rackmnounted pre?

Thanks for your help!

I listened to "Empire" again earlier today and the clean sounds definitely had that Pink Floyd vibe. I was thinking "Hey You" or something along those lines. Definitely some killer songs on that and agree about the sound quality. I think I'll always be more of the earlier, more metal stuff but really like everything up to Empire.

Back