Queensryche Empire: God Tone?

paulyc":rgvmvlx2 said:
Is your mom’s boyfriend Erickson Audio ?
Yes Rick Erickson was my moms boyfriend.
I have a fender bassman ne modded with a master volume and fix loop back in the late 80's.

As a teenager it was pretty cool !
Chris Degarmo came to our house a few times to pick up and drop off amps.
He had a sweet orange 69 GTO Judge.
I also went back stage for Rage For Order tour with AC/DC Queensryche was great then as well. Truly though the studio experience was the best !!

SpiderWars":2me4mval said:
In that magazine clip DeGarmo says he used a "TC Spatial Expander for chorusing and flanging effects". Not that they used it here but what does that unit sound like?

TC Electronic":2me4mval said:
The 2290 has unfortunatly been discontinued, but you can find the essential
features like spatial Dynamic Delay and Classic TC Choruses in Products like
D-Two, G major2 Nova and G-System.

You can hear the effect on the 2290 fanpage, clip 4 (widening effect)
http://www.tc2290.com/audio.htm

SpiderWars":17h0r7wx said:
crwnedblasphemy":17h0r7wx said:
... but Della Brown is money. i listen to it a lot and try to figure out what effects they are using on the solo parts. it’s like Chorus/Flange/reverb.
In that magazine clip DeGarmo says he used a "TC Spatial Expander for chorusing and flanging effects". Not that they used it here but what does that unit sound like?

The 1210 sounds great, it has a great stereo spread without being too wobbly. The thing is that as one side modulates down the other side modulates up, so you can get a lot of depth and widening without being too obviously sea-sick about it, and of all the analog choruses it is probably the best one for heavy distorted tones. It was in every rack from the late 80s and onward.

The 2290 is something different, though, it´s a digital mono delay with reverse polarity on the second output to get a different sort of spread. Also great, but something else than the 1210.

The best I can ....
One of my favorite songs!!
‘Gonna get close to you ‘
Probably my favorite.
So dark Erie. :rock:

But operation mind crime is the best overall. :thumbsup:

My first concert was the Empire tour as well. Still one of the best! It inspired me so much.

I just rediscovered this album about 3 weeks ago. I'd forgotten how amazing it is.

Somebody mentioned hits. I remember seeing videos for Another Rainy Night, and Anybody Listening as well. I'm not sure how far up the charts they went. The whole album is so great. There's not a bad song. I don't care for Silent Lucidity...but it's still a great song. My singer is a lot younger than me, and I was playing her this album saying that "back in my day....you could hear music likes on the radio and MTV."

Great days back then!

Honestly I liked Mindcrime better.... Mindcrime would be in the running for my fave album ever, though.

Just saw them live last week here locally and Wilton still has amazing tone. The singer they have is outstanding as well, actually the whole band is. I was beyond impressed.

Mindcrime will be my favorite, but all the albums up to and including Empire have some great ones.

Screaming in Digital is an underrated one for me off of Rage.

Saw Mindcrime 30th show last night with Geoff Tate....the only thing I'll say about the guitar tone was one of the guitarists was buried, which sucked because I thought he was the better of the two players.

Not an amp in sight so maybe they were mike'd off stage but more likely they were using Kemper or Axe or something.

I can't believe it wasn't;t sold out...tiny theatre too. I bought my tickets night before and there were still availability day of show :-/

The show? Awesome, Tate was great - beer (wine) belly and all! :-D

Interesting that Geoff's natural range actually higher than his daughters (she sung for Mary of course)

Set List:

Operation Mindcrime
Best I Can
Silent Lucidity
Empire
Jet City Woman

jkdsteve":1lhc3rqz said:
Saw Mindcrime 30th show last night with Geoff Tate....the only thing I'll say about the guitar tone was one of the guitarists was buried, which sucked because I thought he was the better of the two players.

Not an amp in sight so maybe they were mike'd off stage but more likely they were using Kemper or Axe or something.

I can't believe it wasn't;t sold out...tiny theatre too. I bought my tickets night before and there were still availability day of show :-/

Interesting that Geoff's natural range actually higher than his daughters (she sung for Mary of course)

Set List:

Operation Mindcrime
Best I Can
Silent Lucidity
Empire
Jet City Woman
Did the guitar players play per the recordings or shred it up a little?

SpiderWars":1c43x4mj said:
jkdsteve":1c43x4mj said:

Set List:

Operation Mindcrime
Best I Can
Silent Lucidity
Empire
Jet City Woman
Did the guitar players play per the recordings or shred it up a little?

Played as close as possible to the record as far as I could tell but couldn't really hear a lot of the main guitar players leads when he was high on the frets but it did clear up a bit on later tunes. They were way better than I expected them to be but it would be hard to match up to DeGarmo/Wilton...especially on such a classic.

Screaming in Digital... London... Walk in the Shadows... Rage was a great album! No Sanctuary... Roads to Madness... Warning was a great album, too!

What I loved about all those early albums was that they all sounded different. They were evolving, but had already found their sound. I might buy an Iron Maiden influence, but no more than Fates Warning. I've never understood all the Pink Floyd comparisons, though. So there's chorus on the clean parts??? Obviously, there's the Michael Kamen connection, but still... none of their albums sound anything like The Wall. IDK... I just never heard that. Honestly, the first time I heard Dream Theater (Pull Me Under), I thought it was Queensryche… granted, it was on the radio and the station was fading out.

Mindcrime is one of my all-time favorite albums, and IMHO, one of the best metal albums ever made.

So... what I'm really curious about is the Erickson Audio flanger... anybody got any info on those??

So... what I'm really curious about is the Erickson Audio flanger... anybody got any info on those??[/quote]
Rick Erickson also built the flanger you hear in the song Baracuda by Heart.
I think he has at least one of those flangers still around.
If you want to get ahold of him he has a shop in shoreline wa called Aviator Electronics.
He has a partner now so it's no longer Erickson audio .
Last time I was there I think he had one from Michael Wilton , and another from Nancy Wilson.
The first flanger he ever built was for Roger Fischer, he got the diagram from popular science or mechanics , can't remember which one ?

If Popular Mechanics still had schematics for flangers, I'd subscribe in a heartbeat!

Thanks for the info on Erickson! I'll definitely have to check that out!

ChurchHill":1s5xmpbq said:
Screaming in Digital... London... Walk in the Shadows... Rage was a great album! No Sanctuary... Roads to Madness... Warning was a great album, too!

What I loved about all those early albums was that they all sounded different. They were evolving, but had already found their sound. I might buy an Iron Maiden influence, but no more than Fates Warning. I've never understood all the Pink Floyd comparisons, though. So there's chorus on the clean parts??? Obviously, there's the Michael Kamen connection, but still... none of their albums sound anything like The Wall. IDK... I just never heard that. Honestly, the first time I heard Dream Theater (Pull Me Under), I thought it was Queensryche… granted, it was on the radio and the station was fading out.

Mindcrime is one of my all-time favorite albums, and IMHO, one of the best metal albums ever made.

So... what I'm really curious about is the Erickson Audio flanger... anybody got any info on those??
Yep, RFO changed music as I knew it when it came out. Never seen anything like it live at that point, opening with Nual Regal, and then crushing Screaming in Digital..
I was floored :rock: :rock:

ChurchHill":2pgzfmuo said:
If Popular Mechanics still had schematics for flangers, I'd subscribe in a heartbeat!

Thanks for the info on Erickson! I'll definitely have to check that out!

If you dig on the 'net, you will find that there is a company promoting their flanger as being the next sort of logical evolution of that flanger circuit, and as you might expect, Erickson isn't happy about it. Funny coming from a guy that copied the damn thing out of a magazine in the first place.

paulyc":3bq4o3hj said:
If you dig on the 'net, you will find that there is a company promoting their flanger as being the next sort of logical evolution of that flanger circuit, and as you might expect, Erickson isn't happy about it. Funny coming from a guy that copied the damn thing out of a magazine in the first place.
Yeah, I caught that. I'd heard of that company before, had considered one of their pedals a few years ago, not sure if they're around anymore or not, never did buy anything they made. And, yeah, I thought it was funny, too, especially since the flanger market is soooo hot right now. ;)

I've always liked flangers, have a bunch of them. My favorite will always be the original MXR, with honorable mention to the ADA, the TC SCF, the Boss HF-2, and the Ross. Something about those SAD1024 chips. Almost seems like there's some non-linearities induced by that chip that brings some magic. I usually use them slow and wide without a lot of feedback, more like a chorus.

From a fan's POV, it would be really cool to have the one (or one just like) that Wilton used. But I've never been that kind of fan. I do really like that cold, icy clean they were getting on Warning, Rage for Order, and Mindcrime, though. There's so much depth there... one of the reasons why I've always liked Queensryche. I can hear a good bit of TC 1210 in there. I still think that Empire sounds more like a Tri-Stereo Chorus. That's why I was asking about the Erickson... thought maybe it was that and not a TSC.

They were BIG Roland JC120 amp guys. That and a big bunch of good old compression.

I LOVE flangers too, like you said, ADA, MXR, BOSS, and the rack mount MXR flanger/doubler, the Loft 450 analog delay, the DOD rackmount flanger/doubler being standouts.

Back