Using a Torp w/an amp sim

riffwraith

Hey all :)

Up until now, I have been using my Torpedo with my Marshall head. Head > Torp Speaker In, and Line Out > soundcard

Now, I would like to try an amp sim, and am wondering what the proper signal flow would be.

First, where does my guitar go? Common sense tells me an amp; do I want to go amp > torp > soundcard, with the gain turned down on the head? I can then record that signal in my DAW, and apply the amp sim as a plug on that ch, but does that make sense?

And then, how does the Torp factor in - it seems that if I do it that ^ way, I am using the cab ir (Torp) pre amp sim. Don't I want the cab ir post amp sim?

Or is there another way?

Thanks in advance.

I do this in conjunction with a Helix (also would work with AXEFX or any other USB interface with an FX loop).

Run signal chain like this:

Guitar > Helix > USB out (usually USB 1/2) to Mac/PC > DAW of choice or stand alone VST/AU (I use MainStage) > send out via USB 3/4 > Helix in > Helix FX loop send > Torpedo C.A.B >Helix FX Return > Helix Output (stereo pair) > Studio Monitors (or power amp feed or FRFR or FOA).

in your case with what I have taken to be a Torpedo Live, simply use Line in and Line out. There is no old school amp to need to provide a "load" to, so you simply use the Line input.

Also works with "AIB" pedals on the Line in of the Live... just sayin

Back